Monitoring solutions for the KPA. Need some help.

• So, I picked up a KPA about a month ago. I've never owned anything remotely like it. I've got a bunch of old school analog gear with tubes and antiquated components like that.;) I've played the KPA a lot over the past month primarily through IEM's. I've also borrowed powered speakers from friends for a day here and a day there, i.e. a newer EV 12 and a QSC K12.2. The KPA sounded pretty good through those speakers but not great, at least to my ears. The EV sounded OK but somehow felt "fake". I really wanted it to be stellar because it is like $399 brand new. The QSC was better but felt really "hifi" which is still strange to me.

I have the non powered rack and I've held off buying a powered speaker or a FRFR type powered cab until I was sure that I was going to keep the KPA. I'm at that place now, and am really struggling with whether I should pick up something like the Matrix GT1000FX and run the KPA into one of the many nice guitar cabs I already own. I could also pick up or build a passive FRFR cab with a coaxial driver and make use of the amp to drive either a guitar cab or an FRFR cab. On the other hand it would be a lot cheaper, and easier, to pick up a relatively flat response powered speaker like a DXR10, or a pair for stereo. I'd love to have both options, but this whole experiment is starting to get pretty expensive. I have searched and read a bunch of threads on the Yamaha DXR10, but I haven't read too many threads that really discuss the advantages of running the Kemper into a 4x12 1960B with Greenbacks or into a 2x12 with alnico Blues as examples. I have a bunch of cabs with options running the gamut from vintage Jensen to EV, JBL, vintage Fane, and vintage Celestions. With lots of speaker options would it make sense to have a power amp to be able to power guitar cabs?

Anyone out there run the KPA primarily into guitar cabs? If you do, I'm curious as to why and what the perceived benefits are. Also, I'm curious how you primarily use the KPA, i.e. for recording, home playing, live performance. If I continue to own and use mine it will be primarily for practice in the band room, alone and with other musicians, and for live performance. I have not performed live with it yet, but I am assuming I will run it direct to FOH and will either use IEM's or whatever cab I end up with to monitor on stage. Any help with thoughts and ideas would be awesome. I can also see how it would be really useful to have an FRFR option to be able tweak profiles for the PA, so I have analysis paralysis at the moment and need someone to help me out.<X

• In my experience whether a traditional cab or FRFR is best depend on your style of music. With a trad cab all sounds played through it will be somewhat affected by the cabs characteristics. I'm OK with a poweramp and a cab in a setting where I exclusively play electric guitar within one style of music. FRFR is OTOH the only decent solution in other settings where I need to vary a lot and even throw in acoustic instruments such as guitar, bass, mandolin etc.

These days I play almost exclusively through a Blueamps Spark, a 2x10 stereo FR-cabinet. This works well for anything I play, except that I add the sub-unit for the spark for more bottom end with baritone or bass. A Mission Gemini II would do the same job. These are not cheap though.

• In my experience whether a traditional cab or FRFR is best depend on your style of music. With a trad cab all sounds played through it will be somewhat affected by the cabs characteristics. I'm OK with a poweramp and a cab in a setting where I exclusively play electric guitar within one style of music. FRFR is OTOH the only decent solution in other settings where I need to vary a lot and even throw in acoustic instruments such as guitar, bass, mandolin etc.

These days I play almost exclusively through a Blueamps Spark, a 2x10 stereo FR-cabinet. This works well for anything I play, except that I add the sub-unit for the spark for more bottom end with baritone or bass. A Mission Gemini II would do the same job. These are not cheap though.

Thanks for the input Heldal! I would be using the KPA mostly for electric guitar. I don't need to cover a lot of different genres and the majority of profiles I would use are mostly are cleanish to cranked Fender Tweeds, cleanish to cranked Vox style amps, and cleanish to cranked Hiwatt and JMP/JCM styles. I won't likely ever use the KPA for anything higher gain than a 70's JMP. I've got all the speakers and cabs that make those original amps shine, so I was just thinking wouldn't it make sense to run the KPA through the speakers that made the original amps famous?

I can see myself using the kemper for acoustic guitar and mandolin at times too though, so an FRFR may still make sense.

• I've got all the speakers and cabs that make those original amps shine, so I was just thinking wouldn't it make sense to run the KPA through the speakers that made the original amps famous?

This is true for your sound in front of the amp on stage or at practise, but beware that you may end up with a very different sound from the main outputs that normally is what you record or send to the audio mixer from a Kemper. Some people put microphones in front of the cab, but that does IMHO defeat the purpose of using a profiler. I have played the KPA through an amp and cab at times, but I personally prefer either to go full FRFR with the Kemper or simply use a traditional amp and pedalboard instead. Note that these are my personal preferences. Others may differ.

• This is true for your sound in front of the amp on stage or at practise, but beware that you may end up with a very different sound from the main outputs that normally is what you record or send to the audio mixer from a Kemper. Some people put microphones in front of the cab, but that does IMHO defeat the purpose of using a profiler. I have played the KPA through an amp and cab at times, but I personally prefer either to go full FRFR with the Kemper or simply use a traditional amp and pedalboard instead. Note that these are my personal preferences. Others may differ.

I'm new to the Kemper, so I definitely value the experience of others with more experience. I purchased the Kemper to see if it would give me the kind of front of house sound that I want without having my amp back stage or playing into an Iso cab. Stage volume is problematic so I'm trying the Kemper out primarily as a solution to that main issue. Most of the time, I will probably just use IEM's (Eventhough I hate them, the whole band is on IEM's) and not have a cab on the stage, but I still need something for practice and for playing at home. I think I may start with something relatively inexpensive like a Yamaha DXR10 and go from there. I looked up the Blueamps products. They look interesting, but I'm thinking they may be difficult to come by in the US.

• I looked up the Blueamps products. They look interesting, but I'm thinking they may be difficult to come by in the US.

Every cabinet from Blueamps is built to customer specifications so you're not likely to find them in any stores. In the US you may OTOH find the Mission Gemini II in stores. It is popular among amp-sim users. I would rate that equivalent to Blueamps.