What's your favorite 212 Cabinets?

• Considering slimming down from my tired but trusted 412. I love the beef of a 412 and hoping to get that feeling still with a solid 212. I play a mix of hard rock, funk, blues, metal and cleans and in my 412 and X pattern of Vintage 30's and Creambacks have been perfect for the variety of sounds. So more than likely, going to do the same in a 212 side by side.

It's not that I am un-happy with it sound wise, just heavy. Had today off and just plugged in straight and rocked out for bit. Love it through a cab, FRFR is fun at home but plugging into a cab is funner. ?

• I have a couple of 2x12's and have had a handful over the years. None of them sounds or feels like a 4x12. The closest thing that I've experienced is a 1x12 EV TL806 cab with either an EVM12L or a Fane Studio 12L. The Fane is a relatively unknown speaker and not in production anymore. It is an amazing speaker and the Thiele cab has that 4x12 thump that I've never been able to get out of a 2x12.

• I've got an Avatar 2x12 with their brand of V30 in it.

It came wired as 4ohm but I rewired it for 16ohm and used it as an additional cab for my PRS Custom 50 combo. That way I ended up with 3x12, and it was/is awesome.

Best rig for me before I found Kemper.

Anyway, I'm lurking for a SD170 power amp. I'd like to try and drive that 2x12.

• Matrix NL212 for me. That thing has the thump of a 4x12 and is super light. You can even get a version with a neo creamback and their own neo speaker, which is based on a v30.

• Anyway, I'm lurking for a SD170 power amp. I'd like to try and drive that 2x12.

I have the powered Kemper which is great but I am also interested in the SD poweramp. It looks like a fantastic setup and I still have an Eleven Rack that could be fun to run through it too at times. Checked Sweetwater and they are out of them. Might have get one when they do the next 48 no interest plan.

• I have a couple of 2x12's and have had a handful over the years. None of them sounds or feels like a 4x12. The closest thing that I've experienced is a 1x12 EV TL806 cab with either an EVM12L or a Fane Studio 12L. The Fane is a relatively unknown speaker and not in production anymore. It is an amazing speaker and the Thiele cab has that 4x12 thump that I've never been able to get out of a 2x12.

So true!! I've got two Mesa Thiele's with EVM12L's :)

• I just got the Peavey Invective cab which is misha mansoors signature cab for the matching head and it sounds great. I agree on the v30s and creambacks being a great combo. It's very well built and lighter than I thought it would be probably because it's made from pine instead of birch. As far as I can tell it's pretty versatile when being used with all different types of DI and merged amp profiles

• If you want to downsize, Mesa Thiele cab is badass and just 1x12. Problem is I find non-FRFR cabs make profiles sound too similar; then you try on an FR system and the personality of every rig becomes clearer.

I’ve never used 412 live as I can’t be bothered carrying them around and I don’t like the beaming of the sound. When I bought my Dual a Rectifier back in ‘95 I opted for a pair of Thiele EVM12L cab instead of the recto 412. Very glad I did. They are awesbeasts and so easy to carry. The new Mesa Thiele cabs come with C90s though so look for a used EV model.

• I’ve never used 412 live as I can’t be bothered carrying them around and I don’t like the beaming of the sound. When I bought my Dual a Rectifier back in ‘95 I opted for a pair of Thiele EVM12L cab instead of the recto 412. Very glad I did. They are awesbeasts and so easy to carry. The new Mesa Thiele cabs come with C90s though so look for a used EV model.

Absolutely! The difference between the EVM12L and and the Celestion C90 is a large one.

• Mesa Thiele + C90 (which is in fact a Classic Lead 80) = NO GO :)

I thought that the Mesa cab with the C90 sounded OK until I brought my DIY EV TL806 cab loaded with the EVM12L over to a buddies house and we compared the two side by side. The difference was very eye opening. I would not trade the EV for 100 C90's.

• 3RD Power Switchback 2 x 12. (have never played one personally - my old fave was a Boogie cab)

M Britt: "A lot of people wonder why I use the cabinet/speaker that I use for profiling. Over the years I've used any number of speaker cabs both live and in the studio, but when 3rd Power came out with their Switchback 212 cabinet, I was blown away. It's a deep cab, so it has healthy bass response. There are removable triangular ports in the back for open or closed back tones and each speaker has it's own resonant chamber with a diagonal wall to keep standing waves and resonant cab frequencies to a minimum."

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• I’ve had three Port City 2x12 Vertices Cabs. Sold the two OS cabs.

Picked up a Dr Z Z Best last months the long Theile cab port sounds batter to my ears than any of the Port City stuff. Z Best would probably work great with the new celestion. Driver if you’re looking to do that