Recording processed and dry signals at same time (analog)

• I watched the video on this and the relevant section for what I want to do is at 2:12. My issue is that the instructions assume three inputs on the audio interface, but my Babyface Pro only has two analog inputs (and no RCA S/PDIF). The tracks I'm recording have no stereo effects.

There must be a way to make this work, I'm just unsure how to go about it. I assume I would still do what the video says, re: have the DIRECT OUTPUT in the menu set to GIT ANALOG and send that signal to one of interface's inputs. Can I then just remove the right or left XLR cable from one of the MAIN OUTPUTS and call it a day, or do I have to do something on the output menu to account for the fact that I'm not running both XLRs in the MAIN OUTPUTS for the processed signal.

Thanks!

• You have two options AFAIK:

Use the Monitor Output, which is already-mono.

Pick either the left or right Main Output.

The elusive setting you felt you might be missing is to set the main output to be mono. This is done in the output-settings menu. Even 'though you say you're not using any stereo effects, it's still a good insurance policy for someone like you who wants to record mono in all situations IMHO.

• Thanks for the reply. So if I understand you correctly, I can either:

1) Use the Monitor Output with it set to "Master Mono" in the Output menu

2) Use one of the two Main Outputs with "Main Output" set to "Master Mono" in the Output menu

If this is correct, is there any reason to do one or the other, or does it not matter?

• Yes, that's correct, and to the best of my knowledge, no, it doesn't matter.

That said, I'll be using the Monitor Out for recording, both for the sakes of simplicity and neatness and also because I'll be sending the main outs to a desk for latency-free monitoring.

This way, if there happen to be effects that "help" playing whilst tracking, like delay on lead parts for example, I can have them present at the Main outs but still receive the dry Monitor Out in my DAW.

Sorry about the delay; I have to wait for a "timer".

• Appreciate the help! I think I just realized something. I can keep both XLRs in the main outs with the menu still on stereo, then run the Direct Output to the 1/4" instrument input on the side of the Babyface. I think, anyway.

The Babyface has only two XLR inputs (I was going to use a TRS to XLR cable for the Direct Out), but it also has two 1/4" high impedance instrument ins, and I guess that is the type of signal that is being sent by the Direct Out.

• No worries, mate; my pleasure.

Yes, you can keep the XLR outs as stereo, as I described I'll do for monitoring.

Yes, the Direct Out is perfect for that Hi-Z input on your interface, but you'll only get the DI guitar signal into your DAW that way, not the amp-and-cab one you'd have received from the Monitor out.

Unless you're altering your plan to one where you'll only be tracking the DI out and reamping later, you're probably better off going with the Monitor Output set to Master Mono or one of the Main Output channels with the mains set to Master Mono IMHO, as we discussed.

• Success!

One 1/4" cable from the Main Output to the 1/4" interface input #1 with Main Output set to "Master Mono", or one XLR from Main Output to interface XLR input. Both sound the same but I will use the XLR.

One 1/4" cable from Direct Out to interface 1/4" input #2 with menu set to "Git Analog".

Thanks again!

Edited once, last by PB26 ().

• Well done, mate, and of course, my pleasure.

I can't help but wonder whether or not you'd be better off using that adapter cable you mentioned to go from one of the Main Outputs to one of the two "regular" inputs on the interface 'though.

That is, unless you've written what you've done the wrong way around - you said the Main Output went to the "instrument input #1" and the Direct Out to input #2 without specifying whether or not it was one of the two Hi-Z inputs you mentioned earlier ("has two 1/4" high impedance instrument ins").

Theoretically the Main Output should be way-too-hot for the instrument input on your interface 'cause the latter would be designed for guitar-level signals, exactly what you'd get with the Kemper's DI out set to Guitar Analogue.

So in summary:

Kemper DI out to interface instrument input.

Kemper Main Output to interface "regular" input such as either of the two on the front of the unit.

• The 1/4" inputs on the Babyface are described in the manual as "multipurpose" and the reference level can be controlled via the software. When I ran the 1/4" Kemper Main Out into the 1/4" Babyface in, the sound was perfect, same as the XLR.

That said, as a matter of course I always default to XLR whenever possible, so I'm going Kemper Left Main Out XLR (Master Mono setting) to XLR input on the Babyface, then 1/4" cable from Kemper direct out to 1/4" interface input (set up for guitar signal).

• Interesting to me, 'cause software control of reference level, in my experience, has only been the ability to choose between +4dB (professional) and -10dB (domestic / consumer) levels. I've not seen an interface that adds a Hi-Z / instrument option to those choices, and somehow I doubt it can be done "cleanly" with software alone 'cause there's a major "physical-impedance" difference.

At any rate, if it's working for you, it's all-good, man! Awesome. 8)

• Interesting to me, 'cause software control of reference level, in my experience, has only been the ability to choose between +4dB (professional) and -10dB (domestic / consumer) levels. I've not seen an interface that adds a Hi-Z / instrument option to those choices, and somehow I doubt it can be done "cleanly" with software alone 'cause there's a major "physical-impedance" difference.

At any rate, if it's working for you, it's all-good, man! Awesome. 8)

Yeah I think that's what the manual says in a nutshell. I'm not very well versed in this kind of thing -- I just plugged it in and it worked, but I'm sticking with XLR all the way. For good measure I got it working in stereo as well, just like the video describes it -- 2 x XLR from the Main Outs set to Master Stereo, then the 1/4" Direct Out to the 1/4" interface input. In the end, I was incorrect about the I/O of my interface and thought I needed more XLRs, but what I really needed was a 1/4" jack, which I had aplenty.

Very, very happy with my toaster right now. I love a nice tube amp for 'in the room' playing, but for recording this little beast absolutely cannot be beat.