Kemper Uk Power Plug

• Hey guys, I just bought the kemper rack second hand , I purchased it on ebay from a guy in Italy , it came in near mint condition but with the European plug which I was expecting. I looked around my house for a kettle lead, the one I have has 250V 5 amps in the plug part, then the 3 pin part of the cable says 250V 10 Amperes. The european plug that came with it says 250V 10 amperes at the 3 pin connection part, in the plug itself, it says ~250V 16 Amps. The kettle lead I have is marked Longwell. I don't suppose anyone uses the exact plug I have and it works great ?

I know that this topic has been covered before but I just wanted to double check the exactly correct UK plug. The 250V~ difference between that and 240V doesn't matter right ? The 5 amp plug will be alright or do I need to use a 13 amp plug ? I would hate to fry this beautiful piece of equipment. I am using the unpowered kemper rack.

• The amperage rating (0.5 amp) refers to the amount of electrical current the Kemper would draw (at maximum)

I'd say better to use a 5 amp rather than a 13 amp - it'd blow quicker, thus offering more protection should the worst happen.

• This is what another user wrote on this forum for the same question:

forum thread :Power cable fuse rating?

"Thanks Musicman, I think you are correct in this.

I've just spoken on the phone to a guy from DV247 and he said I should be using a 5 amp or 3 amp fuse as the KPA draws around 1/8th amp. Basically, the 13 amp fuse supplied should be rated low enough to blow in the event of a short circuit, but normal operation of the KPA shouldn't draw enough current to blow a 3 or 5 amp fuse.

I'm going to use a 3 amp fuse until I hear any different. Better to be safe than sorry.

The consensus of articles I've read up on this matter suggest that using a fuse that's rated too high for particular appliance/cable can allow enough current through to overheat the cable and maybe even cause a fire - even if there is no fault anywhere else, either in the mains current 'spiking', or in the appliance itself (such as a short circuit). Maybe it's the 'curious' way our properties are wired in the UK, but getting the correct fuse installed in a plug is a very serious and potentially life-threatening matter.

I will accept that this mostly applies to appliances that have (permanently) fitted power cords, where the gauge of power cable will have been matched to the current draw of the appliance. In this scenario, it would be quite easy to overheat a power cord designed to carry, say 3amps, by fitting a 13amp fuse to the plug. With the so-called 'kettle' lead supplied with my Kemper, the cable itself is actually of a thick enough gauge to carry the current commensurate with a plug fitted with a 13amp fuse.

I still believe though, that either Kemper, or the vendor (i.e. the company you made the purchase contract with) should stipulate the correct electrical use of the product for the region it has been purchased from, or for use in."

• Dude I wouldn't get concerned, you will soon know if the kemper decides to pull more than a couple of amps, it will probably be on fire.

If your in the UK, then all your outlets should be RCD protected anyhow, ........even more so in a live situation.

No Gain - No Pain.... :D

• Can I just ask what the other end of the cable means when it says 10A 250~ at the 3 pin connector connection which goes into the kemper. The 5A fuse in the plug protects the outlet in the the wall from going on fire or the multi outlet if you have it plugged into that so what does the other side of the cable mean with 10A 250~, thats whats going from the wall into the kemper ? I dont know anything about electronics so i'm just trying to make sure before plugging in the kemper for the first time.

• The 10A 250V~ means that the actual cable (the diameter of the wires) is rated for maximum 10A current (2500W power). This is kind of standard for regular power cables, multiplugs and power distributors. Devices that draw more current need thicker cable wires.

The unpowered Kemper Profiler (as stated before) only draws VERY little current. A powered Kemper Profiler can draw up to 4 - 5A at 250V~. With an unpowered Profiler, you can use the smallest fuse available. And with a PowerRack or PowerHead, you should use a 5A fuse.