Arranging performances (setlist changes) has a lot of lag which seems really unnecessary

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I use this a lot to change the order of songs according to setlist changes. This is often last-minute so I have to do this with the crowd watching.

Let's say I have to take a song in performance 20 and move it to performance 5 in the setlist. While using the browse button to go to performance 20 is really fast and easy, in "arrange" mode I can only use the 'up' and 'down' buttons and my KPA really hangs on this. It seems that it loads every performance that I move over. I see some delay in the video as well, but they are moving over 'default performances' without any FX on, so they load quicker. This seems intentional to cover-up the fact that the system is very laggy while doing this

I don't understand the purpose of this behaviour. While arranging the performances 'Move up' and 'Move down' are instant but going up and down to grab a performance takes forever. Why load the performances while arranging the setlist? I tried to find a 'Auto-load performance' switch but there is none that I can find.

I've searched everywhere and to my amazement I find no-one else complaining about this. This makes me wonder if I'm missing something or my KPA is slower than most for some reason. Any insights from the community? Thanks!

Get a sound,
    Feel the groove,
    Make something happen.

• I bet you it took you longer to write your post than the measurement of total lag you’ll deal with. I have 44 performances and I built them all on the KPA.

Absolutely. Do you mean to say that you re-order your 44 performances on the KPA with the 'arrange' function and you don't experience very noticeable lag? I mean really waiting for the display to refresh? I estimate I would finish 10 times faster if every performance was not loaded all the time while trying to navigate the list.

Get a sound,
    Feel the groove,
    Make something happen.

• I again tried all other buttons on the KPA and realised that the 'browse' knob does work after all!

It's just very slow to react which made me believe it did nothing at first. Also turning it just one click does nothing, while turning 2 clicks advances 1 performance.

I can give it a couple of big turns and be at performance 20 without having to pass&load everything in between. It's not very precise but does improve the workflow significantly.

Get a sound,
    Feel the groove,
    Make something happen.

• I've searched everywhere and to my amazement I find no-one else complaining about this. This makes me wonder if I'm missing something or my KPA is slower than most for some reason. Any insights from the community? Thanks!

I can't comment on the slowness but I suspect few people (although I know some do) use 1 slot per song.

I use 3 performances in total across 2 bands so never have to re-arrange. For me there is enough variation in 5 slots, plus morph, plus 8 effects per slot for a whole gig.

Even in a function band which would require a very high diversity, I can't imagine enough variation in every song to require a dedicated slot. I use it more like a traditional amp with effectively 5 channels. You have 100 different rigs/sounds?

It must be a nightmare to manage but that might explain why you don't hear this problem much.

I'm sure you've considered it but why not try to condense your slots into a more manageable volume, say 3 performances?

It will reduce changes in between songs if you have to respond to a request and less pre-gig set up.

Just a thought...

• I use different performances for different songs and rearranging is indeed an absolute nightmare.

I find it really lags. There's also a weird bug where it tends to skip over a performance. Ideally I'd like to edit this on Rig Manger but unfortunately you can't move performances in between other performances, just overwrite them.

I find this incredibly frustrating TBH.

• Ikm not sure I understand you property. I have been trying to set up a full set of 50+ songs recently using RM to create the performances. I have lots of issues with RM in this scenario to the point where I was nearly ready to throw thongs out the window however, one thong that it did do very well was let me reorder the setlist quickly. You can drag and drop performances anywhere you like and the performance below it will just move down on place. Is that what you are trying to do or have I misunderstood your situation?

• I think the point Wheresthedug is doing this outside RM, just before a performance.

I agree in RM its relatively quick and easy.

Yes the original point was about doing it in the KPA itself but:

Ideally I'd like to edit this on Rig Manger but unfortunately you can't move performances in between other performances, just overwrite them.

I find this incredibly frustrating TBH.

• Ikm not sure I understand you property. I have been trying to set up a full set of 50+ songs recently using RM to create the performances. I have lots of issues with RM in this scenario to the point where I was nearly ready to throw thongs out the window however, one thong that it did do very well was let me reorder the setlist quickly. You can drag and drop performances anywhere you like and the performance below it will just move down on place. Is that what you are trying to do or have I misunderstood your situation?

I'm not sure if we're using different versions but I can't drag and drop like that. Say I have 10 performances in slots 1-10, I cant for example move performance 1 to slot 9 and have them all move. It simply swaps them, so performance 9 will move to slot 1 for example.

• I wouldn't reorder performances and slots according to the setlist. For some time I just used a fixed set of profiles with a sensible set of effects prepared for each of my guitars. 1-2 performances. Later I moved to a lyrics/setlist-manager with midi output. Here MIDI-presets (performances/slots) are stored for each song and MIDI-messages sent to the KPA (+ synths, lights, mixer-changes etc) each time a new song is opened. Lists are fast to create and sort, and if the frontman starts picking songs at random I just open a default alphabetically sorted list of all songs. Don't have to think about the Kemper at all despite having a database of nearly 300 songs and almost as many rig/fx combination prepared on the KPA. Once I have entered the necessary MIDI-parametes for each song any band-member can create lists, and I can immediately use the list to control our equipment.

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Mine does that no problem. I've just tested it again incase I was talking rubbish (which wouldn't be the first time :P). I just dragged perfmormance 54 and dropped it between 37 and 38. 54 became 38 and 38 became 39. Everythin after that just added one number.

Are you using Mac or PC?

I'm using Mac version 2.1.74

Ha I just tested mine to double check too! I’m using Windows.

• The Kemper Stage has less lag while using the arrange function. This seems to indicate that some chips have been upgraded after all.

Get a sound,
    Feel the groove,
    Make something happen.

• The Kemper Stage has less lag while using the arrange function. This seems to indicate that some chips have been upgraded after all.

I think the audio chip is completely separate from stuff that runs all the functionality. Given the different form factor and the advancement in technology it wouldn’t be surprising if the Stage used different chips for the housekeeping work. When people talk about the chip in the KPA they are really only talking about the core audio processing which Kemper have said is the same in all 5 units.

• I think the audio chip is completely separate from stuff that runs all the functionality. Given the different form factor and the advancement in technology it wouldn’t be surprising if the Stage used different chips for the housekeeping work. When people talk about the chip in the KPA they are really only talking about the core audio processing which Kemper have said is the same in all 5 units.

That makes perfect sense.

Get a sound,
    Feel the groove,
    Make something happen.

• I'm finding that the "Arrange" soft key in Performance mode is so sluggish to respond, that I have a hard time even properly moving the selection from 1 to 2. I'm not talking about using the "Move Up" and "Move Down" soft keys, I'm talking about using the Type knob to move the selection from 1 to 2. The first time I tried it, it didn't move the highlight cursor. So I tried again, and it skipped several! If I just move the Type knob one notch, it doesn't move anything. I have to move the Type knob by two notches (detents) in order to move the highlight cursor by one up/down. Even using the Rig Up/Down buttons is no better, where a single tap of the button skips a performance, so for example, if I'm on Performance 1 and press Rig Down once, it moves the highlight cursor down by two, landing on 3. This quirky behavior makes it almost impossible to even make the correct selection without trying several times. Once I can get the right performance selected, then the "Move Up" and "Move Down" soft keys are very responsive. (tested on Firmware Version 7.0.0.14828B)

• I have the exact same experience on my toaster.

On the fly setlist changes right before the show filled me with dread. With the Stage it’s a lot more responsive but still laggy.

I really do not understand why the software loads the rigs in the background while scrolling through performances. What’s the use of the load button? If we could just scroll through the names without the Kemper doing anything in the background, scrolling would be just as fast as moving.

I see this as a bug, just one that doesn’t break anything. It seems very easy to fix and is really annoying but not a priority I guess.

Get a sound,
    Feel the groove,
    Make something happen.

• On 7.1.2 the lag has gotten even worse.

Scrolling through the performance list on my toaster takes about 5 seconds to respond. This effectively renders it completely unusable for live use in my case scenario. (setlist = a performance for each song)

ckemper and team. Please stop the KPA loading every performance it scrolls over in Arrange mode. You can actually see the gain led collar going through every performance when you want to jump from 1 to 10 with the TYPE knob. It's a nightmare.

Get a sound,
    Feel the groove,
    Make something happen.