Slippery saddles, graphite or other solutions?

• Im pretty sure its not the nut, though i understand that is quite often a common problem.

When the string goes "high" i can apply tension behind the nut and it returns the pitch. if the nut was sticky this wouldnt be the case, i think.

ps- i have locking tuners and no string-tree.

In order to completely rule out the nut as the culprit you can treat the slot with an exaggerated amount of lubrication (simple acid free grease will do) - just for testing.

• In my experience this is exactly what would happen if the string slot was too narrow on the nut.

if the pitch goes high, by applying more tension behind the nut the pitch goes even higher. Yet when i release this tension (behind the nut) the pitch is restored to its proper (lower) pitch. If it was sticky my thoughts are that it would remain sharp/high. My logic deducts the nut therefore free. I might be wrong...

PS thanks everyone for all the ideas and comments :)

• I know you’re convinced it’s the saddle but I’m my experience it’s always the nut when the issue’s as you’ve described. Saddle issues with retro fender style trems tend to be more about snapping strings in which case I agree with the above post suggesting sanding the contact point.

Sorry if this is no help.

• if the pitch goes high, by applying more tension behind the nut the pitch goes even higher. Yet when i release this tension (behind the nut) the pitch is restored to its proper (lower) pitch. If it was sticky my thoughts are that it would remain sharp/high. My logic deducts the nut therefore free. I might be wrong...

That's normal "sticky" behaviour IMHO, as Don said earlier. If it were the g-string's bridge saddle, applying pressure behind it in the same manner would correct the pitch. Try it to confirm.

Another thing: Simple physics, SB.

As a proportion of the overall string length, the distance from the saddle to the anchor point is usually much-shorter than that between the nut and machine head. IOW, the nut<->tuning-peg end has the potential to stretch or slacken way more IMHO, and therefore affect pitch more-noticeably.

Oh, and also, the bridge is the trem, so as you move it intentionally to affect pitch it's constantly "resetting" itself as tension and angles change, whereas at the nut end you're simply pulling and releasing the string at roughly the same angle through the slot. Intuition should tell you that if there's going to be a sticking point therefore, it'd likely be at the nut end.