A tune with non-guitar-centric sound from the KPA

• I really enjoy the creative process profiling with the Kemper. But as I become more and more satisfied with the amp sounds I profile, I find myself exploring the outer limits of what I can actually profile with the KPA. In a conversation about the KPA, Christoph Kemper once said there are things you shouldn't do if want to result to be amp like. But if I don't care if the the result is amp like and my only goal is that the result is musically useful, then I can do whatever I feel like. So I started profiling weird and not so guitar oriented equipment and some of the profiles prompted the writing of this tune. All the sounds in the tune (except for the drums)were made with the Kemper and a PRS McCarty.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Nice pads mats, while I recognize some pitch delays , I wonder how you made these tone :/

Hey Waraba,

I started out with either my own profiles or with Bill Rupperts VG-99 GR rig. Then I add one or more delay types on top of each other. For example the first sound I came up with for this tune (the first one you hear) is made up of three different delays and a reverb. The fun part of these sounds is that they can sound very different depending on how you play them.

Cheers,

Mats N

• This is awesome! You have opened up a musical wormhole for me. Excuse my ignorance if this sounds ridiculous, but could an instrument like a trumpet be profiled? Obviously the end result wouldn't be the sound of a trumpet, but would it sound musical? I just have never heard of someone profiling equipment and now I want to profile everything in my house ^^

• This is awesome! You have opened up a musical wormhole for me.

I'm not sure this is a good thing. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed my track.

I don't think you can profile acoustic instruments as the signal from (and back to) the KPA is electronic. All the stuff I have used so far has been electronic and so far I've been surprised more times than disappointed by the results.

Cheers,

Mats N

• That makes sense. Ill put down the horns haha.

• Of course you can Profile a trumpet, Kyle!

The trick will be to find a way to pipe as full-spectrum a representation of the Profiling-audio stream into the mouthpiece as possible without it leaking to the extent that it's easily picked up by the mic you place in / at the open end of the trumpet.

As there'll be no lip involvement, you'll theoretically end up with "interesting" results. I'd be curious as to how it played from a guitar, bass, electric piano or synth...

You'll need a small speaker, of course. A powerful set of headphones (using just one earpiece) could work, but I'm imagining a 1" speaker of the sort TV manufacturers use to create the "arrays" they install at the rear of their products.

Mats, great stuff as always, mate. ;):thumbup:

• Thanks MM for the continued encouragement. Next up is a sort of obvious LC track. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

• I'm very curious as to what you might have profiled...

I've tried a lot of things connected in a lot of ways and as I've been more into doing it and getting results than documenting what I put where and how and with what settings.

I can without doubt say that I profiled everything I could lay my hand on that has an input and an output. Old radios, crappy practice amps, pedals old and new and a few guitar synth units. Most of the setups were rejected by the KPA. A few were not.

If you'd like to get into this, look into your friends houses and borrow everything you can. :D

Cheers,

Mats N