Cooling Fan for Hot Outside Gigs?

• I live and play in the Southeastern Coastal U.S. During the Spring, Summer and Fall months most of my gigs are outside in the heat and high humidity - some right up near the beach. From June through August and into September it gets pretty hot (especially when you factor in high humidity), often into the mid to upper 90s, sometimes into the 100s. For these gigs would I be better off using an old school amp setup or will the Kemper handle it? I have the power rack but the power amp is always turned off. It's in an 8 space shock mount rack with my in ear receiver a Furman power unit and a rack drawer, so no other heat causing devices.

Might it be worth it to mount a fan in the rear of the rack to keep airflow moving or would this be overkill?

• Just make sure there's a free 1U space above and below the KPA in the rack in this instance, I reckon, and keep it out of the sun / shaded.

The manual specifies 50->95ºF as the environmental-operating range with up to 95% non-condensing humidity, so you're covered in-theory.

I've always been impressed by the low operating temperature of the KPA rack; can't speak for the toaster as I haven't run one.

• Just make sure there's a free 1U space above and below the KPA in the rack in this instance, I reckon, and keep it out of the sun / shaded.

The manual specifies 50->95ºF as the environmental-operating range with up to 95% non-condensing humidity, so you're covered in-theory.

I've always been impressed by the low operating temperature of the KPA rack; can't speak for the toaster as I haven't run one.

Ruh Roh. I don't have the option to clear a space beneath and above the KPA. I have it in an 8 space shockmount rack. The Furman, In Ear system and rack drawer eat up the other 5 spaces.

• Well, there's venting at the rear at least; sounds like the bottom, side and top vents will be closed-in. The fact that the other items in the rack don't generate heat's a huge bonus; I'd be concerned otherwise.

Still, not ideal relying on the rear vents only IMHO, so perhaps a low-volume fan generating a gentle breeze aimed at the rear slots wouldn't be a bad idea.

Most-important factor IMHO is to keep it out of direct sunlight.

• Remember also that what ever the temp is outside the box, it tends to be hotter inside, as all electronics generate their own heat too along with a Hot afternoon.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• If the Kemper is placed top in the rack, there is usually a little space to allow some ventilation. Mine has 2cm.

Surely a tube amp would be a lot worse in this situation, as they run way hotter than the Kemper.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I have used the KPA at very hot conditions with no problems.But IMO it is important to put it out of the sun.Otherwise at daytime a cooling fan can't do any harm..;)

It should be no problem to use the KPA at "hot nights".I have a 4HE rack and leave the bottom HE free..just to be sure..

• If the Kemper is placed top in the rack, there is usually a little space to allow some ventilation. Mine has 2cm.

Surely a tube amp would be a lot worse in this situation, as they run way hotter than the Kemper.

That is a really good point, one I hadn't thought of. I've been using hot tube amps on these gigs for years and years with little to no problem...