Dream Theater "Images and Words" Clean Tone Profile?

• Hey gang,

I'm still in full "compile a list of stuff to buy once I get my greedy hands on a Kemper" mode and was wondering if there are any profiles that do a good job of approximating (or nailing) Petrucci's clean tone from "Images and Words"? It's my ideal clean tone, so I'd love to have that in the arsenal once I get a profiler. Thanks for your thoughts!

Regards,

Jeff in Houston

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• I’m not a Dream Theatre expert but was that dur Ng his Triaxis Period? Their is a Triaxis pack which contains a lot of Petrucci inspired tones so that might be a good place to start.

Yes, Triaxis period, but to my ears, it's more about the TC Electronic Delay and Stereo Chorus and EQ-ing that really gives you that crisp 80's hair metal/90's crystalline clean tone that I love.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• More importantly Jeff, when you getting your KPA??

LOL! I wish I knew. It really boils down to when I can find a used one for a price I'm willing to pay. Thus far, other than the one I got hosed on, I haven't found that magic unit. I'm a patient man when it comes to gear, and it's not like I have oodles of time to play these days, anyway, but I continue to hunt for one every day via the usual suspects.

Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Have you tried DJmass profiles??

Robman,

I haven't heard of that brand before. Is that something on the Rig Exchange or is it a commerical profiler? Please understand that I still don't own a Kemper, so I don't have access to listen to anything that isn't a posted video or audio recording by a given person/vendor. Thanks!

Regards,

Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• LOL! I wish I knew. It really boils down to when I can find a used one for a price I'm willing to pay. Thus far, other than the one I got hosed on, I haven't found that magic unit. I'm a patient man when it comes to gear, and it's not like I have oodles of time to play these days, anyway, but I continue to hunt for one every day via the usual suspects.

Jeff

I think you are just torturing yourself...I admire your patience!!

• There is one profile who's resemble with Pull me Under clean tone is remarkable. The author is Paults and should be called "Pull me under clean".

it is one of the best DT clean.

Maybe you can PM him...

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He's playing with one of his Mk2 profiles here

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks, gang! I'll certainly try to check some of these out once I purchase a unit. Tracking through the vids posted here, I'm not really hearing exactly what I am looking for.

Here are couple stems for what I'm looking for. Keep in mind that this first one has an acoustic in the mix, as well... but the basic tone is there for what I am looking for:

External Content www.youtube.com

Or even better... this one starting around the 1:07 mark:

Thanks,
    Jeff

Shred 'til yer dead,

Jeff in Houston

• Videos are just raw reference.. may or may not match 100% what you are hearing from a different source, video compression, studio processing, mixing, guitar overdubs, the player, many factors... it is just a starting point of reference.

Remember that everybody has a different guitar setup and ears. So, I am not sure if there is a plug-n-play profile for Images and Words clean tone, but, some KP users helped me to get close (to my ears), based on all the profiles already available. For Dream Theater clean and gain tones, there are several options:

1. You've started in the right place. The KP forum has many great contributors to JP tones: the awesome Frank (eltzejupp), Gerald Massois (djemass), PaulTS and LuizPauloDT efforts. I believe Gerald played in a DreamTheater cover band, and he released an album, check it out.

The KP Forum has many threads about JP tones and you may find your clean tone in classic gems like this:

https://mark2cplusprofiled.jimdo.com/iic-jp-pack/

First Profiles With My Kemper - Mesa Boogie Mark V and TriAxis Goodness

2. Free profiles in Rig Exchange. As mentioned above, you will find Gerald Massois, PaulTS, LuizPauloDT, profiles and more using the RigManager software.

3. Some of the major Comercial Profilers have MesaBoggie amps: Triaxis, JP2C or IIC+, Mark IV and Mark V amps with Rigs based on Dream Theater tones.

4 . Google "dream theater kemper tones" or profiles and there are interesting options

5. Youtube. This video does not sound 100% like the original tone of the recording, but it is just another profile ready to be tweaked to taste.

Get your Kemper Profiler. I believe you will find your tone, perhaps just tweaking a bit of stereo chorus, stereo delay, eq to taste + the right cab sim to your ears.

Edited 2 times, last by Syntek ().

• anyways...the pull me under clean intro is done by doubling two guitars: one is acustic (or a simulation)and the other electric...it is clearly heard

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• There is one profile who's resemble with Pull me Under clean tone is remarkable. The author is Paults and should be called "Pull me under clean".

it is one of the best DT clean.

Maybe you can PM him...

I just ran across this thread - michaelmellner - I've not posted a rig with a DT or "pull me under" name. What rig is it? If I am indicated as the Rig Author, can you PM it to me?

Thanks!