Parallel Distorsion profiled = ?

• Hi,

a question runs around my wrinkled brain.

Basic Information (bevor anybody asks "but why???")
    I have a Klon Klone in front of my KPA (until they make a nice stomp fx of it) which is half or full gain (which is in fact a wet 50% and a wet 100% Setting because they gain is told to be a mixer knob and not a real gain).

Then I have my high gain Profile and in the cab section I mixed about 1 to 2 of the "clean" Signal into it.

soooooooo, it is in the best case a 50/50% mix of clean and gain (klon) and then into a high gain amp with clean mixed in. Got it?

Don´t ask, I like to have about 4 gain stages/types mixed all together. I like the Sound.

NOW THE QUESTION:

What happens if I Profile this path? To make it a bit better to understand: what happens if I Profile an AMP with a bit of original Signal mixed in?

The Kemper can Profile Serial paths perfect. But what´s with parralell paths? Does it work as good as profiling with several mics mixed (which is a different thing of course because that is profiling an eq curve roughly said).

That all is just theory. And I will Profile my set via another profiler just t see what happens. Maybe it will be usabel, even when it is different.

Remember, I like experiments. There are still my profiles of the Virus TI Distorsions in Rig Manager. hmmm, could do some new btw.

ADD:

The bass Players among us use that trick often. Parallel paths for clean and distorted. Did someone try to (re-)Profile such a path?

Edited once, last by Tandrin ().

• Multiple sources with notacibly different levels of distortion will not profile correctly since the PROFILER determines one level of distortion.

What you could do is to listen to the raw (!) output of the Klon (at 100% mix) only and select a Stomp that is close. Add a Studio or Graphic EQ post Stomp and adjust for differences.

Then reduce the Mix of the Stomp to your liking and add Direct Mix in your AMPLIFIER, too.

hth

• Yah, that´s my plan someday. But for now, I have no idea how to get close to a klon (I asked in another thread if somebody has found a way to get a Klon-like sound out of one of the stomps). But you´re absolutely right (ofc), listening to the raw preamp signal could help a lot, good idea.

Aaaaaaaand this is more a scientific question on how the Kemper would translate multiple distorsions and gain stages into its serial distorsion programm.

If I get any experiences during "re-profiling" soon I will share. Hey, maybe the mix of the distorsions glued into one will make some happy accidents :)

• Yah, that´s my plan someday. But for now, I have no idea how to get close to a klon (I asked in another thread if somebody has found a way to get a Klon-like sound out of one of the stomps). But you´re absolutely right (ofc), listening to the raw preamp signal could help a lot, good idea.

Aaaaaaaand this is more a scientific question on how the Kemper would translate multiple distorsions and gain stages into its serial distorsion programm.

If I get any experiences during "re-profiling" soon I will share. Hey, maybe the mix of the distorsions glued into one will make some happy accidents :)

You could get the white noise file from the Wah thread and send it through the Klon in your preferred setting (but at 100% mix - if that really is a thing with this pedal), then send it to me.

This should yield some information about what's going on frequency-wise at least - which could be mimic'ed by adding a Studio EQ to an existing stomp.
    I have to warn you, though, as someone who owns way too many ODs, I do NOT believe that there is anything really special going on even with these 'holy grail' pedals. There's really just a bunch of ways distortion is created in a pedal, it's mostly the tuning of the circuit's pre and post EQ. If there is an area where weird stuff is happening, it's fuzzes, but not ODs ;)