Presonus 1810 and Kemper

• Hello guys!

I am a bit of a newbie. Can you please tell if I can connect Kemper through S/PDIF connectors on the Presonus 1810 (it has S/PDIF).

Thank you.

• I think there's nothing to confirm. The Presonus has S/PDIF In and Out, the Kemper has it too. I can imagine no reason why it shouldn't work.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• As well as needing S/PDIF connections, it will need to be able to have its clock set to external, so that the Kemper can be the master.

Can you explain it little bit more in depth? What do you mean by its clock?

• I'm no expert, but when using multiple digital devices you need them to work in sync and to do this a clock is required.

However, to be truly in sync, you can't have all the devices working to their separate clocks - you need one to act as the master.

The Kemper is designed, so that its internal clock needs to be the master and hence why any audio interface you buy needs to be able to allow this and not dictate that its internal clock must be the master.

Someone on the forum that owns the Presonus 1810 should be able to confirm this. However, you might be able to find out by Googling to find the specs online.

• From the 1810 owner's manual:

Clock Source. Sets the Digital Clock Source.

From this menu, you can set the Clock Source for your Studio-series interfaces: Internal, External S/PDIF, or External ADAT (1824 only).

This indicates to me that you can set it up so that the Kemper controls the clock. Anyone else read it differently?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Why would you possibly need the Kemper to be the clock source?

Does it record with less latency then? More accurately on time?

Seems more logical the other way around.

The Kemper requires it.

• The Kemper requires it.

I'm using a different audio interface- an old Profire 2626, and I have all of the Kemper's outputs including sp-dif hooked up to it. The clock is set to the Profire, sp-dif works. I never considered switching the clock to the Kemper. Obviously it is not required. Perhaps it helps with the timing for re-amping.

I'll have to give it a try though, see if it makes any difference.

• I use a Focusrite 6i6 and whilst I can still hear audio when connected via S/PDIF with the clock source set at internal, the sound will have pops and crackles. These pops and crackles disappear when I switch to the external Kemper clock source.

There are a number of previous (sometimes quite heated) discussion threads on this topic where people requested that as part of an upgrade they would like to see the Kemper being able to act as slave and also for higher sampling rates to be available. Since then we have seen the latter being catered for; however, as Alan states above, it seems that the former is a hardware restriction and therefore Kemper still requires it to be the master.

If I was buying a new audio interface, I would buy one that can accept an external clock source - unless someone from Kemper provides updated advice to the contrary.

• I'm using a different audio interface- an old Profire 2626, and I have all of the Kemper's outputs including sp-dif hooked up to it. The clock is set to the Profire, sp-dif works. I never considered switching the clock to the Kemper. Obviously it is not required. Perhaps it helps with the timing for re-amping.

I'll have to give it a try though, see if it makes any difference.

If the Kemper isn't the master then you're likely to have clicks/pops.