Which in ear system do you use ?

• I recently bought a used Shure PSM300 to use with my Shure SE425 drivers. It sounds great to my ears. However, the real key is having custom moulded ear impressions. You can either by drivers that are custom made at outset inside an ear impression or you can buy something like Snuggs for your existing drivers. When I added Snuggs to my 425’s there was a significant improvement in sound and comfort.

• Sennheiser EW300 G3 and ACS Evoke custom.

The Sennheiser was a significant upgrade on an LD system that I had previously in terms of stability.

ACS are great value at £249 including the impressions and are willing to make adjustments if you are not 100% with the final fit. I did like the sound of the Shure Se series (215 & 315), but nothing beats a custom fit as Alan said.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I‘m using a Sennheiser EW300 G2 (which I bought as a used item) together with Fender FXA7 Pro Gold Earphones. I use this in all our rehearsals and when playing live on stage, so I had the chance to make my experiences in different situations and surroundings. Soundwise this system works great for me and in case of reliabilty and stabilty of signal-transmission there were absolutely no problems during the last one and a half years. What I really like about the Fender Earphones is that they fit perfect. And usually I always have problems in finding well-fitting earphones. Beside that - and more important - they sound great.

• I myself tried a cheap LD Systems first, changed it for a Shure PM 300 and a Shure 535 headphone and I´m happy now - until now not a single incident. I know others that are happy with LD systems, I guess it`s also a matter of expectations. Our singer uses a rather cheap and fairly new system from a company called ANT, I tried it and - at least in rehearsal room - it was on par with my shure, for 30% of the price and headphones out of competition.

• I also have a Shure PM 300 and a Shure 535 headphone with the large foams Shure EABKF110L; I use a small mixer(A&H ZED-10FX): Channel 1 my vocals (from a splitbox); channel 2 a ambi mono mic; channel 3+4 stereo from my Kemper and channel 6+7 a stereo mix: the rest of the band. From the A&H I go stereo to the PM 300. This setup works fine for me.

Sometimes when it's offered I use a tablet with wifi and so I can mix my monitor channel myself.

One of my bands: Rock Trio SMILE! Cream, Hendrix covers and more:

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7In605XDbHQcZVfXPDSdhT6CONQGHOJH
  • faraway : with our band we are also interested in making the jump towards iem's and we were currently looking into the LD systems mei 1000 and Shure PSM300. The ANT MiM30 is now an interesting third option.

Would it be possible to write a more in-depth review of the 3 systems since you seem to have experience with all of them!

We are not really into the included earbuds, but more in quality of the transmitter and receiver.

At the moment it seems that the LD mei1000 is not that bad, but seems to have some dropouts, which the PSM300 does not have. What is the difference soundwise and how does it compare with the new kid on the block: ANT MiM30?

• Having used the LD mei1000 at first, I can confirm that the odd interference is the difference between that and the systems above. The LD is brilliant for the money, but sometimes I would just get a crackle or whoosh across the in ears. My singer still has one and puts up with it for now.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• @Steinberger1967:

I had weird artefact noise when using the LD systems IEM. About 2-3 times each rehearsal, enough to ruin any fun. I've not done any further investigation, so I can not evaluate if the reason came from the product or from any other influence factor. But - my Shure and the singer's ANT system, both do not have any of that issues, also no drop outs.

Soundwise - I only did the comparison during rehearsal and ears are easy to be tricked - I guess that with the same headphones it will be hard to notice any difference in terms of noise, dynamics etc. in the context of a band.

To choose on sound units I try to listen to them for a longer period of time. If something bothers me, it`s not mine, it refers especially to the quality of DA converters. I did this test with Shure IEM & headphone some hours listening to HD music and I was happy after. I have not done the same with the ANT system, so I can not rate the system in that.

The features are quite comparable - if the ANT system would have been available at my time of purchase, I might have chosen it.

• I also have a Shure PM 300 and a Shure 535 headphone with the large foams Shure EABKF110L; I use a small mixer(A&H ZED-10FX): Channel 1 my vocals (from a splitbox); channel 2 a ambi mono mic; channel 3+4 stereo from my Kemper and channel 6+7 a stereo mix: the rest of the band. From the A&H I go stereo to the PM 300. This setup works fine for me.

Sometimes when it's offered I use a tablet with wifi and so I can mix my monitor channel myself.

One of my bands: Rock Trio SMILE! Cream, Hendrix covers and more:

I use the same stuff, and same approach as you. Small half rack mixer, ambience mic in mono, guitar and backing tracks in stereo. I get all the vocals and other instruments that i need through the ambiance mic (don't sing myself). Shure PSM300 and se535's

There are places that can custom mold earpieces for the 535 :) I had those done and it's incredible!!

• My first set was actually improvised at a Motorhead concert. I was very pleased with them, since I was very close to the stage PA...

The make was "2Fingers" and you can still find them all over the place, especially at those local talent shows...

The sure range are pretty good too...

• I use LD systems and they are ok, great intro to in ears. Then main difference is the earphones as stated above.

I have a number of sets, my favs being Westone's ( I have wd30's and Um10's). For some reason I really like the UM10's...