Is it time for a Kemper II ?

• Yes, Christoph has previously alluded to this. He's also said something along the lines of classic tones that people like rely on preamp, not power amp distortion. That's not entirely true, and certain amplifiers strongly rely on some degree of power amp distortion to get their character, but that's the approach they've taken. Yet still, if you're emulating amplifiers, why wouldn't you want to accommodate different setups in this way? That's what makes me wonder if the current profiling algorithm can't accommodate multiple distorting stages due to a hardware limitation rather than a philosophical one. If multiple distortion changes could be supported with the current hardware, I see little reason not to allow for it.

If the profiling process takes all stages into account at once and how they interact with one and other at the speaker, I'm not sure what you're driving at.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Well some things are limited by the processing power like stacking profiles or even stereo. Maybe it is not time for a Kemper 2 but a Kemper XL

to profile pedals as well as amps and with stereo routing ... that would be ultra cool but i don'T think that will happen ... a kemper vst would also be amazing

• Well some things are limited by the processing power like stacking profiles or even stereo. Maybe it is not time for a Kemper 2 but a Kemper XL

to profile pedals as well as amps and with stereo routing ... that would be ultra cool but i don'T think that will happen ... a kemper vst would also be amazing

Can't profile pedals without an amp included. Even then, the results don't always work that well. Pedals alone are traditionally modeled.

• If the profiling process takes all stages into account at once and how they interact with one and other at the speaker, I'm not sure what you're driving at.

Kemper does profile the amp & cab separately, with more accurate separation being found in merged profiles. If it was as simple as capturing the resulting tone at the point of the speaker, it wouldn't have issues with multiple distortion stages. I'm referencing whether it's possible to make this more accurate with the current hardware, or if that's a possible limitation, in which case a new hardware would be necessary.

• If the profiling process takes all stages into account at once and how they interact with one and other at the speaker, I'm not sure what you're driving at.

Kemper often has issues with dual (or even more) distorting stages -- the manual of the device itself mentions this.

My orange with preamp gain at 5/10 and master low is fine (well, considering current profiling working at its best as the standard), but the moment you start driving the power tubes into distortion, keeping preamp gain the same, it's game over more or less.

A kemper 2 that would get around this somehow would be cool, to me at least.

The bonanza

• I've also made some such profiles, so I don't know what CK meant exactly.

His exact quote:

“ The profiling process is limited to amplifiers. This includes tube amps, solid state amps, most modeling amps and most distortion pedals in combination with an amp. It is not possible to profile other kinds of effects, as this would require a wholly different technique. “

• His exact quote:

“ The profiling process is limited to amplifiers. This includes tube amps, solid state amps, most modeling amps and most distortion pedals in combination with an amp. It is not possible to profile other kinds of effects, as this would require a wholly different technique. “

I believe he's really referring to time-based effects like delay & reverb, as the Kemper isn't able to profile those at the moment (and, again, perhaps requires a new hardware to accomplish).

• Pedals alone are traditionally modeled.

I think you're confusing quotes. He once stated that the KPA couldn't profile drive pedals and use them as Stomps. Obviously, the Stomps are modelled, not profiled, in the KPA. The "exact" quote you posted was referring to compressors and time-based effects, as MementoMori pointed out.

• I believe he's really referring to time-based effects like delay & reverb, as the Kemper isn't able to profile those at the moment (and, again, perhaps requires a new hardware to accomplish).

yes, he is referring to other types of effects. for instance a reverb etc. but it has nothing to do with hardware, profiling is simply not designed to capture e.g. a reverb. it's by design.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• This is one of those threads guaranteed to set everyone off again..sometimes the OP never responds further...

Assuming this isn't the case, should you wait or get one now is the same question for a car, computer, tv etc. a new one could be round the corner. If you wait, you'll never buy anything.

Personally I'm very happy the the R+D is currently focused software upgrades, as although there are limitations with the current hardware, nothing to stress me.

If my KPA was stolen, I would still buy the KPA over the FM3 because:

I think the KPA has the edge on sound (I have no direct evidence of this)

I actually like the format - a powered unit so I can use it like a regular amp and foot switch. Works perfectly for live for me.

I know its easy to set up and run.

• My personal experience: I bought mine right before NAMM this year and I was also kind of worried that they'd drop something new right after I bought mine. In the end, they just announced the editor, the new os and the kab. The former 2 being completely free and adding value to my newly bought Kemper.

When I use my Kemper, I don't feel like using old technology. It just works and sounds amazing (to my ears). The effects are absolutely brilliant. I use a UA interface and the new Reverbs on the Kemper are on par with the top notch UA Reverb plugins (Lexicon, EMT plate, etc.).

Even if the Kemper had more processing power, I honestly doubt that I would use it. I mean, I don't see myself using dual amp profiles, or extremely complex stereo effect setups. But that's me...

I'm actually happy with plugging into a 64 Deluxe Reverb, a Plexi, a nice Super Lead or a percussive Two Rock (or my all time favorite Twinkleland profile). Add some reverb, maybe a Delay and eventually some modulation effects and I'm more than happy. The Kemper can do so much more than what I need it to do.

Would I look into buying a 2nd generation Kemper? I'm not going to lie here, sure I would... But that would just be me having GAS :D

• A Kemper profile doesn’t require much DSP at all. There’s no indication that it is at the end of its life cycle. If you want a modeling device then get the Fractal. If you want a profiling device then get the Kemper. The Kemper will still be able to capture real amp/cab/mic setups 10-15 years from now. They are always adding features with software updates and that hasn’t slowed down in 7 years.

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER,,

• Ok,, expensive peanuts,,But,up until the Kemper, I bought and sold a bunch of units,RockMan,Zoom,Boss, Line 6, Digi Eleven,Mooer,Head Rush, , Helix,,Fractal,( 3-diff units) etc,,, , all used for under a year, other then the HeadRush,( still in use) taking a loss on every one,

Of course my fault , but a loss is a loss, the Kemper will never be sold,I've paid for it 50 times( or more) over in sessions,, I will wear it out, and buy another, that's value, can't say that about any other guitar/ modeler/processor etc,, device I've bought,,

Ever since Kemper came along, I spend WAY more time playing, then chasing gear,on flea bay,,

• Ok,, expensive peanuts,,But,up until the Kemper, I bought and sold a bunch of units,RockMan,Zoom,Boss, Line 6, Digi Eleven,Mooer,Head Rush, , Helix,,Fractal,( 3-diff units) etc,,, , all used for under a year, other then the HeadRush,( still in use) taking a loss on every one,

Of course my fault , but a loss is a loss, the Kemper will never be sold,I've paid for it 50 times( or more) over in sessions,, I will wear it out, and buy another, that's value, can't say that about any other guitar/ modeler/processor etc,, device I've bought,,

Ever since Kemper came along, I spend WAY more time playing, then chasing gear,on flea bay,,

Of course, but the nature of selling something second-hand is it will be at a loss. Nobody pays full price for a used item. Of course, some items depreciate more than others. Kemper has a high resell value, but you would still lose money by selling it (unless you bought it used initially). The moment there's a Kemper II, the price would drop further.

Since you brought it up, given that Fractal is already a high priced, high end item to begin with, its used prices still stay pretty substantial. I've looked a good number of times hoping to steal an Axe II, but people know how much they're worth, even still. Much like a Kemper II wouldn't make the Kemper I "worse", the Axe III doesn't make the Axe II any worse than it was as a top-tier solution.