Midi functions connecting to dmx controller

• I am playing in a cover band. We would like to have programmed light shows.

It could be an easy way to call up programs from a dmx controller, that receives midi-controls from the kemper. For example: For the rhythm-part a smoother light, for the solo-part with another sound a flashing light.

My attemps programming several scenes on a dmx controller were successful, but i wasn't able to call them by midi-controls from the kemper, although I read the manual and implemented all the settings.

The kemper didn't send anything as far as I was able to recognize it. At the same time I could call the scenes by a midi-keyboard.

I am looking for someone, who realized this idea. I'd like to know with which setup it was realized. Perhaps we could exchange experiences.

• To me it sounds feasible. Maybe you can explain a little bit more what you already did.

I assume you're playing in Perform mode and you want to use the feature to send MIDI Program Changes to external connected devices once you switch to another performance slot?

• Most of the 'small' DMX boards I have seen expect a midi note. Page 213 of the manual seems to imply the Kemper sends only Program Changes.

What board are you using?

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• I did something similar, but our light (in this case fog machines) are triggered by a midi track which comes out of a uTrack24, which is also controling our Kemper amps.

We are using a Raspberry Pi, which listens via Midi Interface to CCs which are basically starting the song on the Raspi. The Raspberry Pi is then sending out the desired DMX commands via DMX Interface to the fog machines.

I use the software QLC+ on the raspi, which is pretty nice. The raspi boots directly into QLC+ and after 15 seconds it is ready to receive Midi CCs. It even has a small web interface, so one can check the setup or remote control it, which can be pretty handy.

• Most of the 'small' DMX boards I have seen expect a midi note. Page 213 of the manual seems to imply the Kemper sends only Program Changes.

What board are you using?

That can be a hint to the problem. The DMX board expected a midi note. What ist the difference between a midi note and a midi program change?

• To me it sounds feasible. Maybe you can explain a little bit more what you already did.

I assume you're playing in Perform mode and you want to use the feature to send MIDI Program Changes to external connected devices once you switch to another performance slot

That is exactly the idea. Do you have any hints?

• That can be a hint to the problem. The DMX board expected a midi note. What ist the difference between a midi note and a midi program change?

A Note is... well, a musical note. C3 for example.
    A program change tells the device to change sounds- from piano to heavy metal tuba, for example.

A control change alters a parameter within that sound+note - usually. Volume or Sustain, for example.

So if the DMX board is expecting a midi note- which the Kemper can't send - then that's the root of the problem. The Kemper can only send out program changes (and maybe control changes, I'd have to check)

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• A Note is... well, a musical note. C3 for example.
    A program change tells the device to change sounds- from piano to heavy metal tuba, for example.

A control change alters a parameter within that sound+note - usually. Volume or Sustain, for example.

So if the DMX board is expecting a midi note- which the Kemper can't send - then that's the root of the problem. The Kemper can only send out program changes (and maybe control changes, I'd have to check)

I understand the difference. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose, this is the root of the problem.

That means, that I have to look for a dmx controller, that works with midi program changes.

• To me using the KPA to organise and send MIDI-programming info to devices other than what is tightly integrated (pedals and such) is too much hassle and the functionality too limited. Instead I use a songbook/setlist-manager (Bandhelper) that has any number of MIDI-presets containing program-changes, controls, even raw-midi, for various equipment associated with every song. In my setup I use it to control my KPA, a DMX-application, keyboards and a mixing-console. With this setup I never even need to reorganise performances and slots on my KPA unless I really want to.