A cab question

• Hey everyone, I have a question I haven't seen answered anywhere, but I would really love buying a small 1 X 12" cab for my powered rack profiler, but I would love to keep the profilers cab on, so I don't have to make one sound for the cab, and make a new eq setting for the FOH.

So is there any passive cabs outhere that translate the sound the same way, as a p.a would, I've tried my old Marshall cab, but with the cab sim on it sounds to dark, and without to fizzy.

• There are two different options to get what you want.

1 - use a regular guitar cab with the Monitor Cab Off ticked on Page 3 of the Output menu. In this case the cab section will be on for FOH but off for Monitor/Speaker output.

2 - Untick Monitor Cab off and use a passive FRFR cab from the Speaker Output or an active FRFR cab from the Monitor Out. They both get the same signal. There aren't many passive FRFR cabs on the marker at the moment but Kemper announced at Winter NAMM that they would be launching one in the future. No release date was given though.

• 3 - Get a passive PA Monitor cabinet. A well-designed cab with a 10” drive and horn would not be large, and could still provide plenty of low end. A cab with a 12” would be a little larger than a guitar cabinet.

I probably see a decent passive PA monitor as the same thing as a passive FRFR cab although monitors tend to have a pronouced hump in the sound to make vocals cut through on stage which may not be ideal for guitar. I haven't really tried it though so the right monitor might be fine.

• The key here is that guitar cabs colour the sound significantly. Therefore I think for what you want (which is to ensure your on stage matches what is going FOH), FRFR is the best way to go.

This doesn't mean that guitar cabs aren't any good but the sound will be different, therefore driving you to have a different eq ( and you won't fully match via EQ.

BTW - FRFR is also not totally linear so for many reasons it will never be exactly the same..

• Monitor Out EQ changes affect the speaker out. These are independent from Main Out EQ changes or individual rig EQ changes. You can use these to get your cab as close to the sound you want to hear out front as possible. Since you're using a guitar cab, you'll want to disable monitor out cab, which will still enable it on the main outputs/FOH sound.

• To dovetail with what Wheresthedug and sjstrick stated above, you will likely get different frequency responses from different cabs, whether "FRFR" or guitar cabs. Keep in mind that you can independently EQ the monitor out without affecting the sound sent to FOH.

I have done this in the past, not only to compensate for some undesirable results from rented/borrowed cabs, but also to make the stage cab/monitor cut better in a band situation.

Be Thankful.

• Is this one solution while we wait for the kemper kabinet?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.