Question regarding the use of IEMs with the KPA

• Hi All,

I currently run a line from the monitor console (with no guitar) into my KPA, mix that level with my guitar using the Aux In Level control, then send the output in stereo to my in ear transmitter via the Monitor and Line outs on the rear of my Kemper Power Rack.

I sometimes see others discussing running the output, instead, from the headphone out on the front of the unit, into the IEM transmitter.

Is one better than the other or are they the same? My KPOA is mounted in an 8-space shock mount rack with no empty slots (KPA, Furman power unit, IEM and a 3 space rack drawer) so a permanent connection to the headphone out would be kinda tough to pull off.

Any advice?

• I haven't tested it but hthinking about it logically the only things that spring to mind are:

The headphone out is always a master stereo signal. On the monitor out you can decide what you want - Master Mono, Master Stereo, Stack etc. Unlikely to matter much though as you probably want the master stereo feed anyway.

Headphone out has the Space effect permanently on without adding it to the front of house signal. If you add space to the monitor out you will also need to add it to FOH I believe. You may or may not want space on anyway.

Other than that I think the two options should be the same.

• 'K, so I pulled my IEMs out of the rack and brought it upstairs where my KPA is (that rack when full is freaking heavy LOL, don't care to lug it up here) to test the difference.

Wow, what a difference! First, I didn't realize it but Space wasn't being added to the monitor (and direct) outs I had running to my IEMs - so I assumed I was hearing it but that it didn't amount to much.

Duh.

So that was one difference. Also, just the overall tone of the thing sounds better coming out of the Headphone out, then going into my IEMs. I'm thankful that I had a TRS --> 2x1/4" cable laying around because I doubt I would have purchased one to test this - I would have really missed out. I don't know why but imaging sounds cleaner, effects sound more rubust, the amps sound like amps (like they do through my studio monitors) whereas before, through the IEMs, clean and semi cleans sounded good but dirty sounds were pretty bad.

I've yet to test this with the full monitor mix but I'm gigging tomorrow night so I'll know soon enough.

Now that I've done this I don't wanna go back to the old way, so I gotta go see if I can find another one of these cables to I can carry a spare LOL!!

• Just FYI, I just a take a full mix from the desk into my IEM - no direct connection from the KPA so i bypass this stuff..

I don;t see the point for a couple of reasons:

1) I want to hear the whole band no just me, so my IEM's have to be sound checked anyway, so no reason for me to change the KPA volume at all into my IEM's

2) Less cables and hassle

• I do it this way because otherwise I wouldn't have the option of hearing my guitar in stereo. It's something I've wanted for a long time & now that I've finally got it, I love it. We use the same monitor console on every gig we play so the monitor mix is basically set it and forget it. I have a sub snake (with 4 returns) on my side of the stage for both me and the keyboard player so it's no problem to run my stereo lines, monitor return and vocal mic to that. Got it all dialed in last night at the gig, sounded really great!

• Well, if you have a proper (digital) desk with stereo aux busses (like even the Behringer x32) you will have stereo guitar into your in-ears, even when your in-ears are coming straight from the desk.

Our 5 piece band has it's in-ear transmitters in the x32's rack, that's 10 cables less. And, should anyone want to thinker with the monitor mix (which isn't really necessary once soundchecked properly), they can always use their iPhone app...

• Well, if you have a proper (digital) desk with stereo aux busses (like even the Behringer x32) you will have stereo guitar into your in-ears, even when your in-ears are coming straight from the desk.

Our 5 piece band has it's in-ear transmitters in the x32's rack, that's 10 cables less. And, should anyone want to thinker with the monitor mix (which isn't really necessary once soundchecked properly), they can always use their iPhone app...

We use an M32 for FOH and a separate M32 for monitors so the capability is definitely there. Not sure, then, why I dhaven’t don’t do it that way. At this point it’s no issue though, I run a sub snake for my and the KB players mic lines, run a cable to one of the returns for my mix and I’m done. I’m about to head to a gig, I’ll take a look and see why I didn’t do it the other way...