When things sound strange/weird

• I have recently been thinking that the sound of my KPA had changed and become strangely phasey with a little bit of a "cocked wah" sound to every profile. This was much worse on higher gain sounds than clean sounds but everything just seemed unnatural. As I started to become paranoid about the sound I began to question whether the Kemper wasn't really as great as I had previously thought. Maybe I had finally moved on from the honeymoon period. I started to look for confirmation of my loss of faith and began thinking it must be something that had happened in the upgrade to OS 5.7 although I couldn't think of any reason why this would happen. I eventually decided to do a factory reset just in case. I probably did some other things with my overall setup at the same time (which would make it difficult to isolate the cause/source of any problem or cure - basic fault finding 101 error!!!!). Anyway, after the reset everything seemed back to normal for a while and I was happy with the outcome even though I was still worried that I didn't understand the cause.

Fast forward to a few days back and the same weird sound issue resurfaced. I was not a happy bunny and ready to cjuck the whole thing out the window and go back to my valve amps. TI usually assume when things aren't right that it's user error so I started looking at my signal flow in case I was getting a direct monitor signal through my desk and a second out of phase signal from my DAW/Interface or something. No sign of any subgroups active or anything like so I started to become paranoid again and did a whole lot more head scratching to try and figure it out.

Then it finally hit me!!! How could I have been so bloody stupid!!!!

I had left S/PDIF cables connected to my interface and an open channel on a Logic Template with record enabled. Duh, I was getting two signals that were out of phase. As soon as I put the channel in logic out of Record mode or turned off the direct channel on the desk everything sound fine again.

OK, but where is the tip or trick in this story????????

The tip is..................

If your Kemper isn't sounding right or is doing something strange, always assume it is operator error and methodically trouble shoot your own own mistakes because the problem is usual us not it ^^

• If your Kemper isn't sounding right or is doing something strange, always assume it is operator error and methodically trouble shoot your own own mistakes because the problem is usual us not it ^^

This is my professional life as a programmer neatly summarized. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10