It's official!! Mark Knopfler uses Kemper on tour!

• If he’s touring a band with a lot of musicians this makes sense—seems to be the standard move these days. And sure, as a primarily clean player, for me he’s the iconic clean hero “endorsee” to end all. That said, it’ll be interesting to hear clips/video where it breaks down to a trio or quartet and his guitar is front and center. And of course to see if he stays with the Kemper live for subsequent tours. Finally, how come Knopfler didn’t post here to rue the risk of buying “old” tech when an “updated” version is obviously “just around the corner” !? ;)

• I don’t want Mark’s profiles. Having access to his exact sounds would only deliver the final crushing blow to my delusions that I could sound like that with his rig. Even with his rig I would still sound as bad as I always do || while plugged into any old piece of garbage he would still sound like Mark Knopfler. I say keep his profiles secret and let me continue to dream. Ignorance is bliss ^^

You sir are really a gentleman!Sad enough I can like this post only one time but yes..how often I thought exactly the same during the last years!"Hopefully Santana or Knopfler never use a KPA..that would mean it is really just me and my fingers unable to reach tone-heaven.."

Now..all excuses are gone.;)

This is the "biggest possible endorsement" Kemper could get.Congrats to @CK and his boys.

• LOL, I will :D yes I've been playing with him for 25 years on and off :D actually 32 years....!!! around '87 we first played together.

MC

He was my first real guitar hero. I remember watching the Prince of Wales concerts where he and Eric Clapton used to do a few songs together...for me Mark was just in a different class. He made me want to play guitar even though I could never emulate his style.

I also was handed a guitar owned by a private collector ( to hold and play but to give back :) )a few years ago that was supposed be "the" national steel from Brothers, but I assume he still has this so I doubted it....

Anyway, you are my new best friend and you can tell him you've met me ( virtually) and I'm sure he'll be equally impressed!

• If you search YouTube for "Mark Knopfler live" and filter the results to the past week, there are a lot of videos online already of the current tour. Filmed from the audience so the audio recording quality varies, of course, but his guitar does sound good. Check out Brothers in Arms and Money for Nothing...

Looks like only one volume pedal in his setup? See 4:09

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• LOL, I will :D yes I've been playing with him for 25 years on and off :D actually 32 years....!!! around '87 we first played together.

MC

If you see him, tell him I love him. I'm sure he knows but I'd rather be sure.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Dirty rotten trick.

I know. It's my latest.

I admit to nothing.

You're incommunicado, then? No comment to make?

I remember watching the Prince of Wales concerts... Mark was just in a different class

So that guitar man on the TV, you're saying he had... another quality?

If you see him, tell him I love him.

And tell him I was calling. You know... just to wish him well.

I'll take out Security with a pair of fire extinguishers while you guys swarm the Rig.

Let's hope they'll be laid back and lax!

I've done this type of thing before. 8)

Alright! The usual fee, then... plus expenses?

I'm so sorry. It's a compulsion.

• I just, um, happened to be studying that particular area of the Kempers in that rack and noticed that, while the USB ports are (tantalizingly) empty and unobstructed, there is something that looks like a 6.35-3.5mm adapter stuck in the headphone jack. I wonder if it's meant to keep Mark (or his roadies) from doing what we've all done at least once: plug his guitar into it and wonder why there's no sound. :)

Never happened to me. But forgot to plugin the guitars and wondered why there's no sound, yes many times. ^^:)

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I think I read somewhere that it took them about a year to get his profiles the way he wanted them

I read this too..

But I don't believe this is about "micing & tweaking nonstop for a year" on one or two rigs..rather than working on many,many rigs used for a lot of Mark Knopfler & Dire Straits material..how many rigs are we talking about;I guess a lot.I don't know but maybe we will learn at some point in time.

Anyway..nothing against Metallica,Paul Gilbert or any other "metal shredders" who use the new generation of digital gear..I love them all but Mark Knopfler is absolute top when it comes to "feel" with very subtle clean and break ups..having him on the artist list will "do it"..no doubts left for the last hardcore tube nutheads.. thinking about it is really amazing.Technology has taken the last barrier in the guitar amp world.And it is not "digital Vs tubes" but a very nice symbiosis..no Kemper without tube amps..

PS

I hope they took some vids of the profiling process of Knopflers rigs.How many views would this get on YT..:P

• "...has devoted much of his time in the past 6 months to recreating Mark’s unique sounds has done an amazing job".

That doesn't mean automatically that they made all new profiles. Could also mean they just used existing rigs and tweaked them to recreate his unique sound! Who knows?

And much time in the past 6 months is not every day - could mean anything. It had to be ready before the tour start in any case.