It's official!! Mark Knopfler uses Kemper on tour!

• "...has devoted much of his time in the past 6 months to recreating Mark’s unique sounds has done an amazing job".

That doesn't mean automatically that they made all new profiles. Could also mean they just used existing rigs and tweaked them to recreate his unique sound! Who knows?

And much time in the past 6 months is not every day - could mean anything. It had to be ready before the tour start in any case.

Yea. Or overcoming challenges when switching to digital overall, which do come up for many, just getting acclimated to monitoring possibly changing, and all that comes with that.

The bonanza

• Pffft. All these guys using toasters live are just pretenders.....

First Metheny and now Knopfler? Wow. Can't think of a better testament to the brilliance of Kemper!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• Anyway..nothing against Metallica,Paul Gilbert or any other "metal shredders" who use the new generation of digital gear..

What?!

Since when did Paul Gilbert use new generation digital gear? and he's not done the metal shredder thing for years now. At least get your facts right.

Quote from Paul regarding Kemper:

https://equipboard.com/pros/pa…bert/kemper-profiler-head

Rig rundown videos showing pretty old fashioned gear:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• "...has devoted much of his time in the past 6 months to recreating Mark’s unique sounds has done an amazing job".

That doesn't mean automatically that they made all new profiles. Could also mean they just used existing rigs and tweaked them to recreate his unique sound! Who knows?

And much time in the past 6 months is not every day - could mean anything. It had to be ready before the tour start in any case.

Exactly, as I said previously he had two of my Dumble profiles on there when he was in pre production. His amp rigs were sat ready to go as well if it didn't work out how he liked it.

M

• There are so many reasons for that "six months' thing that may have nothing to do with the profiling process, per se. More likely his techs were able to get their boss to a/b examples of how they’d profiled his amps every couple of weeks, since he’s inevitably (hopefully) spending more time sitting on a back porch overlooking the English countryside with a $75,000 prewar Martin in his lap. I sincerely doubt that he was in the studio for six months grinding through parameters to get tones. I'm guessing he'd come to a rehearsal, play through tunes, and offer "notes" on his feelings about the tones, that would then be addressed in the next round. Look, he’s many peoples tone god, but there are other fantastic instrumentalists who have put together a similarly "vintage" tour’s worth of tones in a recording studio in a day or two with blissful results. But yes! I'm looking forward to well-recorded live videos featuring his clean(est) live playing with the Kemper.

• So true. I know it's been a little over 2 months and I haven't dialed in much other than my main 3. Once I got those down, I have been playing more and more. I have a few new profiles that I have been playing around that I really like with but still stuck on my main 3.

"...has devoted much of his time in the past 6 months to recreating Mark’s unique sounds has done an amazing job".

• So true. I know it's been a little over 2 months and I haven't dialed in much other than my main 3. Once I got those down, I have been playing more and more. I have a few new profiles that I have been playing around that I really like with but still stuck on my main 3.

I know what you mean. I spend so much time using my profile staples, that I seldom get the urge or really have the energy to scroll or click through multiple rigs and try to audition. I also get ear fatigue really easily when I do that.

• Very interesting! Mr. Knopfler, along with Gilmour, is one of my two favorite tone heros. I've been having a difficult time finding, or tweaking, clean profiles that I like and can use, so this gives me some hope. My favorite Knopfler tones are higher gain amp settings with light strings and fingers, so he gets a mostly clean tone but it has a girth that you can't get from a totally clean amp. It will be interesting going forward if we get some idea of the types of profiles/rigs he's using. It will be fun to try to emulate what he does tone wise with the Kemper, though I totally agree, it would not matter what he played, he would still sound phenomenal.

• I'm glad for this thread for several reasons, not the least of which is I have now visited your website and will be stocking up on your profiles.:) Also, there just might be a very good reason that Mark Knopfler contacted Mr. Cliffe for advice. ;) Just saying....

• This one Gets me every time.8)

• He really is one of my heroes. I sat down and wore out my copy of BIA on vinyl learning the songs. At the time I thought he played Strat style guitars for everything, so I used to be "how does he get it to sound so fat, warm, and slinky?" when playing along on my Strat.

• It’s extremely cool to see so many phenomenal guitarists adopting digital tech like the Kemper. not that I don’t also love valve amps, but it’s good to see digital being accepted finally across the board as a comparative equal for practical purposes. Now that analog vs digital is finally laid to rest we can move on from the gear and start arguing about technique again... I’ll start - skipping strings is like skipping leg days, change my mind :P

• What?!

Since when did Paul Gilbert use new generation digital gear? and he's not done the metal shredder thing for years now. At least get your facts right.

Hi JKplaysGuitar,

While I would agree that Paul's solo albums, over the past decade, feature an impressive amalgamation of musical styles, within a general "pop" rock musical milieu and sensibility...most of his albums still feature one or two tracks of bona fide shred guitar. Vinnie Moore is the same way.

I am loving Paul's latest release "Behold Electric Guitars". Here is one of my favorite tracks. It has such a great melody, great slide guitar, and some killer guitar soloing. Really a stand-out, IMHO.

Nevertheless, I hear and agree with your comments. He may still "shred", but it isn't hard metal shredding...but then again, I wouldn't even consider his Racer X days to be "metal shred"....more melodic shred.

• Just saw him tonight, and he sounded as great as he always does, Kemper or not. Regarding the 6 months spent on getting it ready, recreating 40 years worth of different guitar sounds, with rigs and effects for each song is bound to take some time.

• Looking forward to going tomorrow to Knopflers concert (and yes, I will take a USB Key with men - just in case).

Downloaded Milan concert in order to already get into the mode - any got tips on the Rig for Money for Nothing ?

• Hi JVDW, here's a sound sample from the profile I use for MFN:

External Content soundcloud.com

I'm currently using a Profile from Guido Bungenstock (Mars Jubi Lead Hi).

Settings (Ampl.): Definition 2,4 / Power Sagging 0 / Pick 0 / Comp 0 /Clarity 0 / Tube Shape 3,3.

Gain: 6,4 / Bass: -1,0 Middle: 0 Treble: 2,7 Presence: 0,9

Very important: (Fixed) Wah

Manual: 4,6 / Peak: 3,9 / Pedal Range: -10% / Peak range -46%

Sorry for the mistakes in the clip, I'm not very good when it comes to pure finger picking ?