What's your setup for making multi-mic profiles?

• I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything specific enough. I'm got preamps that I like and a lot of mics and I've noticed how much of a difference the mics especially make in making a profile but so far I have only made profiles with a single mic. I'd like to make them in the same way I typically record my guitar by mixing 2 or more mics (often a ribbon and a dynamic or LDC). I've been thinking about getting a mix with line inputs but I'm not sure how much the mixer matters when dealing with line levels or maybe going out of my interface (UAD Apollo 8p). If you use a mixer, does it make much difference if you're using quality preamps? Do you tend to use the same mic's you'd record with or does profiling though multiple-mic's work a little differently than recording? Have you found that the single mic just works better? Any input you have on multi-mic'ing would be great. I've got some time off in a month where I'd like to make a lot of new profiles of my mic/amp collection.

“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
    ― Mark Rothko