Axe Fx III and FM 3

• In my opinion, this is one area where the KPA has an advantage. With profiles, you know exactly what type of tone that the mic'd cab was designed for specifically because a profile is a snapshot of the entire rig, not just a single component of it(a la IR's).

Unfortunately, when it comes to IR's, I often feel like I'm groping in the dark

I agree that it can be an advantage in this particular sense described.

That said, for me there's other challenges that come along with kemper. Some have no issue finding many profiles they like and hence use. For me (and plenty I know), profiling rigs is the way to go.. almost entirely, with relatively few profiles as exceptions. That can be quite time consuming.

With axe fx I have much more possibility to get what I want without that much "real world" work. Before, it was more possible for me to put in that "analog work" to get the profiles I need for a given purpose, using particular pickups, tuning, right level of gain and all, as I was in an environment that could accommodate this.

But the less that has been the case.. the more I've liked using axe fx, I would say.. ease of use, convenience has become a big thing for me, for my needs and what I want to achieve. At that point, I have quite particular IRs in mind too, so the issue described is not so much a problem for me. Even with kemper, from some point on, I've most often used IRs, I would say, and direct profiles.

On Axe Fx, part of the challenge has been firmware updates changing some tones too much... But I tend to create a lot of tones over and over, so that's no a deal-breaker I would say; and libraries of profiles have been less convenient for me overall. Of course, I still like kemper quite a bit for what it does too, for sure, and see myself using it more when closer to amps again, especially for keeping certain tones intact.

The bonanza

• That said, for me there's other challenges that come along with kemper. Some have no issue finding many profiles they like and hence use. For me (and plenty I know), profiling rigs is the way to go.. almost entirely, with relatively few profiles as exceptions. That can be quite time consuming.

If you have something to profile, then I think capturing profiles can save time and ultimately be more satisfying than searching for the right ones.

With axe fx I have much more possibility to get what I want without that much "real world" work. Before, it was more possible for me to put in that "analog work" to get the profiles I need for a given purpose, using particular pickups, tuning, right level of gain and all, as I was in an environment that could accommodate this.

If you have IR's that you know well and work for specific types of tones, then I think the Axe-Fx has some advantages.

On Axe Fx, part of the challenge has been firmware updates changing some tones too much... But I tend to create a lot of tones over and over, so that's no a deal-breaker I would say; and libraries of profiles have been less convenient for me overall. Of course, I still like kemper quite a bit for what it does too, for sure, and see myself using it more when closer to amps again, especially for keeping certain tones intact.

I've been profiling some of my Axe-Fx presets specifically to maintain their sonic integrity and prevent the sound from changing due to firmware updates. Granted, the profiles don't necessarily sound 100% identical, but they sound close enough that I'm satisfied with the result.

• Not sure what is the point of your poll. If price/floorboard factor/etc are your deciding factors, good for you but let's see how much patience the producer, the client or the MD are going to have while you waste their time choosing the IR and holding everyone's time while you tweak. You are projecting how a system like the FM3 would work in an environment without having tried it first. Sound aside, the kpa has already the most efficient workflow for many session musicians and this will be even more obvious when the editor comes out.

• I'm fairly agnostic on this whole thing. They're both ridiculously awesome.

• There are certain Rigs that are just amazeballs in the KPA ( @rmpacheco's AC20, @NIL's PT20, lots of Marshall-y goodness, etc) and then there are certain Rigs that are just better in the FAS land (Tucana, various Mesa's, etc.).
    • There's the simplicity of the KPA but the depth/control/routing of the FAS units.
    • The toaster is so deliciously retro but the AX8/FM3 can go on the floor.

I wish Kemper would make the floor unit already. Imagine a KPP (Kemper Profile Player) and FM3 side by side on the floor?

• It took axe 3 four years to catch up to kemper but they finally did. The tone is actually just as if not more accurate than all the mesa and plexi I’ve tried. Kemper is nearly identical to mesa, and this is like a blind test where I think it is mesa. I think its going to be the kemper killer, the FM3

Is this observation based on conducting tests targeting the real amps? If you conducted the tests by yourself, it would probably be useful to hear details about how exactly, what was being compared, what were the steps to get axe fx as close to the real amp, ect, ect, whether this involves cab emulation or just direct amp tones.. All that would be valuable info.

Anyway, I didn’t believe in fractal before. I didn’t like or want axe fix 1, 2, ax8 or anything .....this however is so amazing that I have to get the FM3 when its finally out in a few months.

I do think "Ares" in Axe fx 3 is meaningfully better than the software in ax8 in terms of amp tone. That said, I am not sure the difference is big enough to where I would think ax8 is that much behind, then be as surprised about Axe Fx 3 (well, fm3 but it shares a version of Ares) being as good. Surely your experience may differ, which is fine. And I don't share the sentiment some do that it's "all the same" either.

I just wonder what tests were conducted in this case to develop this preference? That's all assuming the sentence was about sound, whether amp tones, other tone-influencing parts.. what could have been the case.. In which case, also, is there some extra function you felt made such a difference?

Especially with the axe 3 out, the kemper is now “old”, still amazing and good and the best/most True Tone matching you can get on the fly, but for $500 less than what most people ask for used (I’ve seen some people even ask near full price used) you can get axe

This is probably only semantics, but "tone matching" refers to Fractal's eq matching. Profiling may share some similarities but isn't EQ matching alone, even if that being part of the game... That's probably worth mentioning, even if just for the sake of completeness.

The bonanza

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• I will still be profiling great new and old tube amps with my 15 year old Kemper,, while some will be selling the FM 3-4-5-6-7 and 8, for half what they paid,, to raise cash for the FM9,,,,,, no offense intended at all, I was one of those guys,,

• I'm thinking the post and poll was meant as a joke.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Oddly enough, I 'still' have my red kidney pod, from many years ago. It has no resale value, overdrive sounds are not very good. However, the chorus, delays, reverbs and tuner are still great.

It's built like a tank, and I'll always keep it. :)

I may 'never' use it again, but such is life....

Joking apart, although still having my red Pod was true, I have no idea why folks on here have the need to constantly spout endless words, about why they 'like' or 'dislike' this or that product. If you like it, use it, if not, then sell it and buy something you do like. Whatever, please refrain from the desire to tell the rest of us all about it, we don't need to know. Chiefly, those who have sold their Kemper and have bought 'whatever' in preference. Why do you stay on this forum, if you have sold a Kemper? Should you not leave us in peace, and traverse/frequent the forum of your new bit of kit instead?

Clearly I'm missing something in my life, as I keep my preferences to myself, as it's not of any interest to anyone else (HINT!)

Edited once, last by LiamUK ().

• Can I have your Kemper then? I can send you an axe. Might need to sharpen it. To save on shipping I can remove the handle.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• That is a cool thread and FM3 would fit a gap on relation between offer and price... I sold my kemper, unfortunatly i took advantage of the USD forex hike and recover my money after a lovely one year and a half of daily kemper...

I am playing now with my old pre-amp and pedals, i can get almost a good tone such as kemper but to much noise and not so good dinamics, for me to sell all the other gear would take to much time and effort so i made this choice of selling only one expensive gear, the kpa

i made a farewell recording with kemper and after that another recording to compare with, this later was an analog direct in line recording and was real good, some extra noise, not so warm as a tube amp or kemper, but good enought for my needs...

i played after that a lot with my tube amp and my old pedals and indeed kemper is real close to the real thing

FM3 would be nice, but even $1000 being considered "cheap" compared to other gears it still too much expensive for countries such as mine that charges us enormous fees and taxs for importing things...

i miss posting over private forums but that is life, maybe i will get another KPA in the future... the young fellow guitarrist that brought it from me is not rich and used all his savings to invest on KPA, he tried Fractal and other gears before and could not be happier with his decision...

• great stuff but i want something with a poweramp in it ^^