Profiles For P90's

• Hey everyone!

I just came in possession of a beautiful Reverend Charger 290 and I was curious what profile packs you think help P90 pickups sing. I play a lot of indie rock/alternative rock and praise and worship stuff as well as a lot of blues. Some of my favorites up until this point have been Selah Sounds and Tone Junkie but I know MBritt profiles all of his stuff with P90s and was curious if anyone has had luck with his packs as well.

Pic for attention:

• I enjoy P90s through Selah, Tonejunkie and MBritt. But I enjoy humbuckers and single coils through those guys too. I guess I like the sound of those profile makers and I like any pickups through them. :).

Whilst these profile makers do make ‘high gain’ profiles, more of their output seems to be in the lower / middle gain direction so I think they’re a good fit. Most P90’s (if they are traditional as opposed to hot) seem to occupy the space between singles and lower output humbuckers without really being either so they’re very cool. Having said that, I also like them pushing an amp profile that is falling apart..... They seem to sound really untidy which I like :). I don’t think they suit a ‘tight’ metal sound as well as some other pickups but that is probably me not having the chops to make a tight metal sound moreso than the pickups / profiles :) A speed metal player would probably make them sound awesome but, for me, they’re more ‘rough and ready’ than ‘focussed’. Again, says more about me than the pickups :)

• Coincidentally, I was just playing my ASAT Special with Vintage Vibe P90's through the Tone Junkie Morgan AC20. Sounds great to me! Use the volume knob to go from dirty to clean. Not too bright or dark.

How do you like the Reverend? I've kind of had my eye on the Bigsby Charger 290. I'm not 100% in love with my ASAT or my Mexican Tele and was thinking about moving both and picking up a Reverend, but not quite motivated enough. Need to get out and play it!

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Coincidentally, I was just playing my ASAT Special with Vintage Vibe P90's through the Tone Junkie Morgan AC20. Sounds great to me! Use the volume knob to go from dirty to clean. Not too bright or dark.

How do you like the Reverend? I've kind of had my eye on the Bigsby Charger 290. I'm not 100% in love with my ASAT or my Mexican Tele and was thinking about moving both and picking up a Reverend, but not quite motivated enough. Need to get out and play it!

Hey man! I get it in the mail come this Thursday. I'll be sure to let you know!

Zach

• I have one set of P90s, Bare Knuckle Supermassives in a baritone. They are my favorite pickups now, I don't really play any of my other guitars. Maybe it's due to the lower tunings, or just personal preference, but I like profiles towards the brighter end of the spectrum. That said, I have zero issues finding more than enough profiles that I love. I don't think I've ever bought a pack and thought "this sounds great through a humbucker, but there's nothing I really like through the soapbars", it's never been an issue. I play mostly high-gain, but use lower gain and cleaner profiles quite a bit too.

My only other experience is with a PRS McCarty Soapbar. I hated those pickups. But that was 10+ years ago, I was using super distortions/etc, so I think my idea of "good tone" was probably a lot different than they are now. I do love those Supermassives. If I had it do do over again, I might get the Stockholms, since they are a bit hotter, and sometimes I find these to be a little weak when grabbing a pinch harmonic, but that's a small quibble.

After reading this thread, I tried this guitar with the Morgan AC20 profile mentioned. It sounded phenomenal, really fantastic.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

I'll check out tone junkies profile! As far as liking the Reverend, I'm pleasantly surprised. I came in skeptical but overall am very very happy with the guitar. I'm blown away by the value of the guitar. Great tuning stability, locking tuners, neck contour, cool modern/vintage aesthetics, and most importantly, great tonality and playability. I've dialed in MBritt's Matchless HC30 with it that sounds impeccable. Working on another for a JM Proto profile from Worship Tutorials (performance made from Tone junkies JM PROTO)