A Battle of the Gods! Christoph K. versus Jim M.! Who wins the Gold Medal of true Distortion in London 2K12? (Fun!!)

• A1 is the Kemper
    B2 is the Real Amp

I prefer B2, better presence and attack, make the sound much better.
    But the difference between them is very noticeable, maybe a different refining would create a more similar sound.
    Finally I hope that B2 is the Kemper... I can't wait for the final answer!!! ?(

• Hello everybody,

yes, indeed: there IS a difference. but the difference between the two recordings is not big listening to the mixes on my DAW with KRK Rockits.
    and it is bigger on those cheap monitors of my laptop. considering this and the fact that the two versions can be mixed together easily ba enhancing
    2100 Hz with the "real" amp und deducing this frequency with the KPA model: i would say both of them represent definitely the same amp.
    plus: like some of you i´d prefere the KPA anyway!! but is up to the personal taste. isn´t it?
    post number nine by guitarnet70 is especially interesting in that regard. once there, the profile is tweakable until a doctor arrives ... :D
    many thanks for the suggestions that something has gone wrong also! as i am still learning any help is appreciated!
    but, ofcourse - the amp is not in the same room with me when profiled, and, ofcourse i use the same mic and same position and do some refining.

anyway, this whole thing has been an absolute fantastic race of fun. thank you very much indeed for your support and sharing.

cu soon, sincerely: geraldo

ah, i get old - you can find the solution on this page . there´s a spoiler button now! maybe someone wants to play the game also. therefore i don´t post it here. thanx a lot.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• They sound so different that either the profile was not done with the same mic position, not done properly or it was modified afterwards. It is not a good attempt of A/B comparison. The first one sounds like it has a blanket over it. The second one fits a bit better in the mix but that does not mean anything anyway.

• thanks for your comments

i have posted those two files in order to show how close the KPA gets to the original!!!
    somehow i have failed, as some of you (not all of you, remember?) think differently

i am going to post a new profile comparison tomorrow

but one thing bothers me a little
    some wonder if the profile (B) has been modified, some say A is "under the blanket", others say
    the contrary, it is smoother and they like it, some have guessed wrongly right from the start
    anyway: my profiling is done like that
    sm57 close to the speaker, approx. 5 cm to the right, then turned just a little bit away from the centre of the speaker
    always same guitar for that matters, humbucker @ 10, playing either the real amp or the profile
    if i compare the two amp while profiling, there is an almost unaudible difference of maybe 3 % brighter at the kemper side

this difference you recognizes comes into play, because A was recorded live with the same setting, but in a real room and
    not directly, and this ― i think, correct me if i am wrong ― will stay so until the end of time. it is the same mike, but we have a room
    we have the refraction off the walls and so on. why everybody likes the SM57 will remain a mystery to me, because i think you will
    always get this shitty "under the blanket" sound. but then again: the profiling seems to work with it.

i do not know. really i dont know.
    please check again tomorrow, when you will hear three different files: the real amp through the KPA, the nu profile with all knobs on
    12 o´ clock, and again the real amp miked with shures wondermodel :D 57

cheers :sleeping:

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• if i compare the two amp while profiling, there is an almost unaudible difference

why everybody likes the SM57 will remain a mystery to me, because i think you will always get this shitty "under the blanket" sound.

If you are not able to hear the difference between your 2 clips currently, I am not sure you will be able to do it right, because the differences are really noticeable.

In regards to what you say about the SM57 producing ALWAYS a shitty "under the blanket" sound, either your mic is broken or probably you don't know very well how to place it. It is an unidirectional mic, so the tone you capture will be hugely affected by its position in relation to the cab. If you think the tone you are getting is too dark, try to put it more on axis (less angled) and closer to the cap. Just consider that by moving its position 2 centimeters you can get very different results.

• thanks madh for posting

no, no i do hear the difference on the site with the two files. i meant WHILE profiling and changing between kemper and source amp.
    wait for the second part of the battle. so, this was a misunderstanding. i surely hear a difference.

Just consider that by moving its position 2 centimeters you can get very different results.

i am going to test this again, but i even have a mark on my box for the sweet spot, so i knew this.

either your mic is broken or probably you don't know very well how to place

well, the thing is that i have neighbours and no studio and so i do have to record with the volume at about 20% which is
    with a 100 watt amp loud enough, but maybe that is the problem with the SM57? how can i test it, because maybe it IS
    broken, couldn´t get a good sound from the very start.

thanx

• Thank you for all your comments.
    As always, i have learned a lot listening to you.
    Please follow the new thread: Battle otG revisit (Better profile used, 3 files to choose from)
    thanx

Edited 2 times, last by Geraldo7 ().