Aaaaand another comparison/blind test

• What profiles were you using? When we went back to back with the amp source and the profiles it was on par. Do you have any live vids for reference of you playing out. Would love to hear them..

I've used a variety of profiles, but most I no longer keep on the Kemper because they simply didn't work for live use in my case. I also have no amp to reference for them since they are others profiles, not my own amps. At some juncture when I get the time and ambition I plan on making my own profiles to see if it helps curtail some of those frustrations.

• great stuff but I want something with a poweramp built into it. ? Bommel

Same here, for me that is one of the strongest point to use kemper. The powered toaster is amazing ly comforable :)

• I mean the kemper makes snapshots of the amps settings so while a model can simply increase mastervolume and then has the characteristics of a poweramp compressing and saturating more, you have to make another profile of the amp at the setting. if you want the same effect on the kemper

That is why i recommend making profiles at any relevant mastervolume setting an gain setting. as long as you do not use pedals in front of the kemepr that solves that issue pretty well ... more distortion stages react a bit different when a pedal is in front ... i think the kemper handles pedal very well though but yeah it is different ...

• I mean the kemper makes snapshots of the amps settings so while a model can simply increase mastervolume and then has the characteristics of a poweramp compressing and saturating more, you have to make another profile of the amp at the setting. if you want the same effect on the kemper

That is why i recommend making profiles at any relevant mastervolume setting an gain setting. as long as you do not use pedals in front of the kemepr that solves that issue pretty well ... more distortion stages react a bit different when a pedal is in front ... i think the kemper handles pedal very well though but yeah it is different ...

If I set Master vol where I want it with orange, laney for certain tones including preamp and power amp distortion the result will be big cocked wah from kemper, even without pedals. In order to counteract this, I have to keep the master vol of the amps below distortion. Some compression can be ok, but usually what we call "distortion".. not really.

The bonanza

• If I set Master vol where I want it with orange, laney for certain tones including preamp and power amp distortion the result will be big cocked wah from kemper, even without pedals. In order to counteract this, I have to keep the master vol of the amps below distortion. Some compression can be ok, but usually what we call "distortion".. not really.

yeah sadly sometimes it works better and sometimes worse ... like the maxed out toneking is no problem but a maxed out ac30 will mess up everything ... thats why i have no maxed out ac 30 profile :D and some amps have way more distortion and sag then the kemper can reproduce ... that is sad but everything has its limitations sadly

• Everything... Other than our ability to talk gear.. ?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• when it comes to multiple distortion stages

Your profile includes multiple distorting stages, as in preamp + poweramp gain together?

Ok, what I mean by "multiple distorting stages" is situations where you profile an amp with preamp and power amp distortion at the same time.

I am referring to profiling amps with dual distorting stages

but again, I am talking about multiple distorting stages.

It can be your source/amp tone did not include multiple distorting stages,

I think you made your point.

Why bring it up again and again?

Also, significantly distorting pre- and and power-amp stages are really quite rare.

Bands like Sleep use this, but it's a very distinctive tone. In the vast majority of modern high gain applications, the distortion is coming from the pre-amp.
    The manual also clearly points out that a significantly distorting pre- and power-amp stage cannot be accurately profiled, but simply lowering the power amp saturation leads to very useable results. Or increase Tube Shape to get a more power amp like distortion.

You almost seem to be on some kind of crusade and I ask you hereby to dial it back a little - this is not constructive posting behaviour.

• 1) My responses were based on at least trying to clarify a point that wasn't understood. It's easy to take the point to mean something more than it does, in a negative sense; hence me bringing up what this is/isn't about. Full quotations would show that context.

2) I often talked about this kind of set up being relatively rare -- or not desired by many, and how to get usable results quite a few times. Some relevant talk in this thread too.

3) That said, point taken, even though I don't really see this as a crusade. I won't post like this again.

The bonanza

Edited 3 times, last by Dimi84 ().