FW 6.0.0.14574 Public Beta Feedback Thread

• From Burkhard:

While the preparation of the new effect selection screen, other features, and numerous fixes are progressing and right on track, we want to take the opportunity to publish two additional sophisticated reverb effect types asap: Formant Reverb and Ionosphere Reverb. Details are explained in Addendum 6.0. There are also 30 additional presets available based on these two new reverb types, which can be imported pressing "Factory Presets" in System Settings after the upgrade.

We have decided to call this new revision "6.0" and the next revision including all other enhancements "7.0". We don't expect this interim step to cause any delays regarding the release of 7.0.

Thank you, team, for choosing to give us some of the new goodies to play with while we wait for v7. :love:

• That's fun to have some new verbs to test, but less fun to import all these presets and browse with the legacy system.

Would it be possible to have a rig pack will all the presets on a standard rig ( like a twin for instance) like we had for the delays ??

Thx

Click here for the audio & demos Thread

For the curious :

Formant Reverb

This adds formant filters to the Cirrus Reverb to give the reverb tail more color, and a very distinctive, choir-like sound. The main purpose of the Formant Reverb, however, is not to create a realistic choir sound, but to give it a certain character, making it sound more like a synthesizer or Mellotron. The formants also help the reverb cut through the mix, even at moderate volume levels.

 Formant Mix

Use this to balance the unfiltered reverb sound against the filtered sound. At zero, the Formant Reverb sounds identical to the Cirrus Reverb. Turn Formant Mix towards higher values to hear the formant filters.

 Formant Vowel

Use this to morph continuously between the vowels U, O, A, E and I.

What’s new in version 6.0? 2

 Formant Offset

Use this to apply a constant frequency offset to the formant filters. The “voice” character will become more feminine or childlike when turned to the right, and more masculine when turned to the left.

 Formant Peak

Controls the resonance, or q-factor, of the two formant bandpass filters and thus the intensity or “sharpness” of the filters.

Ionosphere Reverb

The Ionosphere Reverb is based on the Cirrus Reverb and Formant Reverb. Featuring the finest pitch and shimmer reverbs, it builds on the concept and takes into brand new territory. Two crystal pitch shifters are embedded into the reverb, allowing you to create effects more akin to orchestral strings and synth-like sounds.

In contrast to regular shimmer reverbs, the Ionosphere Reverb comprises an advanced signal structure that allows for pitch buildup settings independent of the reverb time setting. This allows you to create gentle buildups, or even steady pitch shifts, with long reverb times that don’t build up.

 Pitch Mix

Mixes the unpitched original input signal with the two pitched versions. At zero, the pitch shifters are dialed out — the Reverb will sound identical to the Cirrus Reverb or Formant Reverb. With Pitch Mix dialed fully right, the unpitched part of the reverb is left out, leaving only the pitched signals.

What’s new in version 6.0? 3

 Pitch 1&2

Sets the pitch offset of the two crystal pitch shifters, independently, in semitones. A typical setting would be 12 semitones (one octave). If you do not want two separate pitch offsets, then set both pitches to the same value.

 Pitch Buildup

“Buildup” is a feedback control in the reverb that feeds back the signal output of the two crystal pitch shifters back to their input. This is quite similar to the feedback control in the Crystal Delays. At zero, you will only hear the pitches determined by Pitch 1&2. With increasing values, the pitches will build in an upward or downward spiral, or both, if you choose both a positive and negative pitch offset.

The rate of the buildup is influenced by the Attack Time control, which also controls the onset speed of the reverb, as described above for the Cirrus Reverb.

 Brass

In addition to the string-like effect of the crystal pitch shifters, the “Brass” parameter allows you to bring some nonlinearities to the reverb structure, giving it a brasher sound, more like that of a brass section.

✓ Example setup: For a reverb that plays exclusively one octave higher than the input signal without building up, set Pitch Mix all to the right, both Pitches to +12, and Pitch Buildup to zero.

• Gutted!

I’m on holiday and can’ Try it for nearly 2 weeks :(

I note that Burkhard mentioned the deveolpment and testing of OS7 remains on target and that the interim release won’t hold things up any. So what is the target guys ;) i know you won’t commit to a date but are we talking days, weeks, months or years? Possibly the evening before Summer NAMM?

• Gutted!

I’m on holiday and can’ Try it for nearly 2 weeks :(

I note that Burkhard mentioned the deveolpment and testing of OS7 remains on target and that the interim release won’t hold things up any. So what is the target guys ;) i know you won’t commit to a date but are we talking days, weeks, months or years? Possibly the evening before Summer NAMM?

Doubt it'll be that close to NAMM - I'd like to think they'd have people around to help fix any bugs that crop up after release, as opposed to waiting for a few days due to them being at a trade show.

• The schedule they mentioned at Winter NAMM was ‘summer’. So I guess technically that’s any time between 21st June and 21st September.

But the sun is shining here this morning.... in the U.K. that means it must be summer as it doesn’t do this very often :)

Also interested in the wording of ‘other features’ with V7 beyond these reverbs (here now) and preset management. Is this simply talking about the new rig manager / editor or is this going to be even more cool stuff??

• can we have the new reverb presets without having to install factory rigs like we did in the last reverb update ..I don't really want to have to re-install all the other unused ( in my case ) factory presets ...? or am I missing something ?

• The schedule they mentioned at Winter NAMM was ‘summer’. So I guess technically that’s any time between 21st June and 21st September.

But the sun is shining here this morning.... in the U.K. that means it must be summer as it doesn’t do this very often :)

Also interested in the wording of ‘other features’ with V7 beyond these reverbs (here now) and preset management. Is this simply talking about the new rig manager / editor or is this going to be even more cool stuff??

Acoustic simulator also :)

• Rig Manager saw the update on my iMac but said it had errors (twice) after downloading it and trying to install. Im now trying to install it manually by transferring the .bin file to my usb-stick. So far it seems to be installing ok this way- It booted ok. FYI.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• can we have the new reverb presets without having to install factory rigs like we did in the last reverb update ..I don't really want to have to re-install all the other unused ( in my case ) factory presets ...? or am I missing something ?

Simply press "Factory Presets" in System Settings after the upgrade to 6.0. This function just imports presets - no Rigs - effectively already since 5.7.

• Rig Manager saw the update on my iMac but said it had errors (twice) after downloading it and trying to install. Im now trying to install it manually by transferring the .bin file to my usb-stick. So far it seems to be installing ok this way- It booted ok. FYI.

The update via Rig Manager had been tested and many users have performed it successfully since 6.0 is public.