V6 Reverbs Dry / Wet Mix

• when i turn the Dry Wet mix to 100% WET on the 2 new reverbs i always hear the dry guitar signal too

i assumed with 100% wet i only hear the FX Signal

any thoughts ?

Edited once, last by digbob ().

• I must have had headphone cables touching stuff too Don :)

I’m not at home now but, on my initial play through, I also couldn’t quite understand how the Mix worked. At 100% wet I still had some clean guitar signal in there. I had limited time so just figured I must be misunderstanding something / doing something wrong.

To my knowledge I don’t have parallel path on but will check - I tend to keep things simple. The reverb was the only effect in play and was in the dedicated reverb slot. All I was doing was going through the new presets to audition and l, when I’d done that, I started playing with a few parameters to see what they did. Mix wasn’t what I expected.

When I eventually get home I’ll play again but my Kemper seemed to behave the way Digibob’s did before his fixed itself :)

• If one of the three headphone wires has a loose contact - I guess it's ground - it is possible, that the mono portion of the signal - which is the same between left and right side - is cancelled out and just the wet portion, which is different on left and right side, survives. We had that scenario once. Just a defective headphone cable.

If you are monitoring via balanced XLR cables, and the cable on one side has its hot wires crossed, and you mix both in a mixing desk, you could have a similar cancellation effect.

Both issues outside of the PROFILER.

• I believed Don was joking, Burkhard - I had no headphones plugged in. Apologies for any confusion..... I was sending a joke back :) I was actually going SPDIF out into my Focusrite interface as usual.

I’ll try it again tonight. Honestly, with my settings unchanged in years the mix settings didn’t do quite what I expected - I genuinely went ‘fully wet’ and still had guitar coming through. This is probably me missing something (I have no idea of parallel path is enabled as it’s not something I’ve looked at since it was released maybe 4 or 5 years ago) but I’ll report back.

• OK, so I'm home and this is interesting!

If I put the reverb in the X slot, I get the wet / dry behaviour as I would expect it to be so it works absolutely perfectly. If I put the same reverb in the actual reverb slot, I get the issue. Here is exactly what I am doing:-

I am loading a commercial profile that I like which has regular reverb already enabled. I am then pressing the 'reverb' button on the Profiler and scrolling through to the new presets. I am selecting the 'Angel' preset which tells me that I am using the new Ionosphere reverb. I play. I hear a very clear 'dry' guitar signal and I hear the choir come in afterwards so the reverb is working / sounding impressive but the guitar is clearly audible as a guitar.

I go in to edit and notice that the mix is on 70% on this preset. When I increase past 100%, the display shows 100.0/90.6%

If I keep increasing, it finally reads 100% (wet).

At all points from 0% (dry) to 100% (wet) there is absolutely no difference in my dry guitar signal - the dry guitar itself is just as audible as it is when I am at 0% (dry). The mix knob ONLY affects the level of the choir and the choir is not there at all at 0% (dry) which is, of course, expected. What it should not be doing is allowing me to hear the guitar at all when it's 100% (wet).

I have checked the Parallel Path and it's off. I am running to SPDIF and have also checked by plugging my headphones directly into the Kemper - the behaviour is the same.

I am making no other changes to the preset apart from altering the mix.

Out of curiosity, I then put exactly the same reverb into the X slot and it works completely perfectly - at 100% wet, I cannot hear my guitar, only the choir.

Any ideas on what to do? I updated via rig manager and everything else appears to be working OK. Well, everything I use which isn't much as I'm a simple kind of guy (mostly just load a profile that makes me smile and go for it plus put on the occasional effect).

• OK, so I've just found this thread

Delay + Rev Routing

And it's helped me to find the problem.

My DLY+REV routing was on 58%.

I've set my DLY+REV to 0% and now my reverb slot works with the new reverbs.

If I change to another profile using Rig Manager, my reverb slot stops working again simply because this DLY+REV routing goes to 58% again!!

Profiles in question are Tone Junkie. If I choose any of their profiles, this setting in RIG goes to 58% and the new reverbs don't work as expected. If I choose other commercial profiles I have or factory, there isn't an issue. Might explain why Digibob had the problem then it fixed itself :)

If you want to hear the exact issue I'm having and don't have any TJ profiles, simply go into your rig menu and crank that setting to 58%. You'll then see what I mean....

Suggestions on how to fix this appreciated please :)

• yes must be an Problem with t he TJ Rigs, cause when i tested it first

and got the Problem it was aTJ Deluxe Reverb Profile

next Day i didn't use that Profile and the Problem was gone

• My question would be, which type of effect is placed in the DLY module of those Rigs in question. Perhaps DLY+REV Routing just does, what it is supposed to do the way the author designed the Rig!? This picture is from the Main Manual and it shows, how the routing works in the range above 0%:

• My question would be, which type of effect is placed in the DLY module of those Rigs in question. Perhaps DLY+REV Routing just does, what it is supposed to do the way the author designed the Rig!? This picture is from the Main Manual and it shows, how the routing works in the range above 0%:

Thanks for the diagram - If I’m reading it correctly it means that if there is no active delay you will always get a percentage of the dry signal bypassing the reverb and going through to the output? It has helped my understanding of what the setting does - it means that some element of the guitar sound gets through untouched no matter what you do with the reverb / delay.

The fact that every TJ rig I’ve tried is at 58% (which is a legacy Kemper setting) would suggest that they perhaps didn’t realise it was a factor any more than I did before yesterday..... It’s an amazing coincidence if 58% is the intentional secret sauce on every preset they do :) I’ll have to look at which delays they are actually using...... I’m not sure. But in the profiles I’ve used, the delay hasn’t even been on.

• The idea of this routing (DLY+REV Routing >0) is, that only the wet portion of the delay in the DLY module gets reverberated. So the dry portion of the delay is bypassing the REV module. And this routing doesn't change when you just switch off the delay. Otherwise there would be complete "jumps" of the reverb while you switch the delay on/off.

If you perform PROFILING you select one of the Rigs in your pool as a starting point and by default all its effects are taken over into the resulting Rig, which includes the new PROFILE. I assume TJ have used a Rig as a starting point for many or all of their PROFILEs with DLY+REV Routing or its predecessor DEL+REV Balance set to +58%. That's how it got spread.

• Forgive me as I'm very new to this.

When I crank up the mix on Ionosphere Reverb presets to 100% wet, the overall signal volume increases drastically. My DLY+REV is set to 0%. Is there a way to counteract this? A volume parameter/setting would cover this neatly.

Total tangents:

• The Brass effect/setting is amazing. I was just about to buy a starter synth to cover sci-fi, cinematic synthy sounds but now my Kemper's got the sound in my head.
    • It'd be awesome if we could set the attack time to zero. It's pretty quick at the 0.12s minimum but it's still a hair of delay. For 100% wet + brass synthy sounds it'd be great to have zero swell/lag. But perhaps this time is the minimum the system needs to track accurately.
  • Thanks for the explanation Burkhard - it makes sense and I can see the useful nature of the feature. Looks like I just need to make myself some tweaked rigs just for the new reverbs as, really, it’s only an issue with those when you’re wanting to minimise or eliminate the dry guitar from the equation.

So my next question which you may be unwilling to answer due to it being a ‘future’ :)

Will the new editor allow us to edit this parameter? And will we be able to do ‘batch editing’? I was just thinking that I have a lot of TJ profiles and it’d be great to do ‘new reverb compatible versions’ in a separate rig manager folder by highlighting all of the profiles and turning this parameter to zero on all of them. Batch editing would potentially be valuable to users who (for instance) want to put ‘their green scream stomp’ on every single profile in a particular folder. Hope this makes it into the program, either at release or at some point :)

• Forgive me as I'm very new to this.

When I crank up the mix on Ionosphere Reverb presets to 100% wet, the overall signal volume increases drastically. My DLY+REV is set to 0%. Is there a way to counteract this? A volume parameter/setting would cover this neatly.

I cannot reproduce such behavior. Between 0% and 100% you dial the wet portion of the signal. Beyond 100% the wet portion stays flat at maximum and the dry signal portion is decreasing. The overall signal doesn't increase. As intended.