Show current FX preset name on Profiler's LCD screen

• Or something else : you tweak a great delay from a preset , save it , forget it ... then load it later and wonder from what delay preset is was based on ?

waraba why do you need to know what it is based on? most effects have only a couple of parameters. either the effect works or you need to edit those. I still don't understand what the reference to the original preset would help you with.

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• waraba why do you need to know what it is based on? most effects have only a couple of parameters. either the effect works or you need to edit those. I still don't understand what the reference to the original preset would help you with.

I think "most" is not "all" . The latest Reverbs and Delays have a lot of parameters and can be tweaked to totally different sounds. Ionosphere for example with different format and pitch settings that can make them totally different animals. User may want to use similiar effect in different RIG. Of course he can use LOCK function or copy/paste function. I belive it could be handy to know preset name if you want just browse for that preset or share preset file.

Now the Latest loaded preset name have the same adress as FX module A . What if every FX module will have one string parameter for latest loaded preset name?

• There are two limitations to this idea:

1. Parameters could be modified to an extent, that this statement "based on preset A" is meaningless or even misleading. The current settings could be closer to another preset.

2. Presets are user data and not hard-coded. You can delete presets, you will be able to modify and replace presets or rename presets in OS 7.0. Rigs can be shared without "their" presets. So, this message "based on presets A" could lead into the woods.

• waraba why do you need to know what it is based on? most effects have only a couple of parameters. either the effect works or you need to edit those. I still don't understand what the reference to the original preset would help you with.

Burkhard It takes time to navigate all the way into an stomp/effect, note its parameters, navigate to another effect, note its parameters and compare the two (or three or more). And if you have to do all that navigating, it introduces plenty of opportunity for error, confusion and frustration. Its a usability issue. Your users want to be able to easily identify the individual files they are using. Its really a very simple concept.

• we will put your request on the list but i cannot say when or if this ever will happen. what you imagine to be simple is not simple. for now, if you need to know what preset you base your modifications on, make a note. the comment field comes to mind, you can easily fill this info in using Rig Manager.

• we will put your request on the list but i cannot say when or if this ever will happen. what you imagine to be simple is not simple. for now, if you need to know what preset you base your modifications on, make a note. the comment field comes to mind, you can easily fill this info in using Rig Manager.

Understood in terms of us not understanding the complexity. However, your solution isn't necessarily 'easy'. You cannot access stomps/effects through Rig Manager (yet) to add details in a comment field. You will most likely be limited to a certain number of characters, so what happens if you utilize stomps/effects in every slot? A note book seems like a more viable solution, or keeping notes in some media on one's laptop. One more example of how technology without a good understanding of usability can create more complexity than necessary.

• You cannot access stomps/effects through Rig Manager (yet) to add details in a comment field.

The Rig has a comment field. I was talking about this option. And no, it's not perfect, it's just an option and for some maybe better than "nothing".

• An interesting thread indeed, for many reasons.

We are like veering towards a philosophic discussion, but this is somehow misleading.

Let's try and establish some outcomes:

• Many users find this feature useful;
    • Most users have no idea about how complex implementing it would be;
    • Apparently, it would be more complex than most users think;
    • Apparently, most resistances by Devs to implement the feature are related to how "expensive" it would be Vs. their perceived convenience.

OTOH, I believe things should be made clearer and simpler.

This is a features request thread. While it's great that Devs investigate in order to understand userbase's needs and approaches to the KPA, and suggest alternative options, the discussion just ceases to make sense beyond a certain threshold: it's up to Devs to determine whether the requested feature is worth being implemented or not (both in terms of costs and KAOS' appeal increase/saleability). Trying any harder to convince the users that the request makes no sense above a point starts to sound weird.

Opinions can be discusses up to a point, beyond which it is not constructive/useful any longer. Thinking for example of the inversion of the Up/Down switches on the Remote, that has been requested (or has at least raised perplexities on several forums on the Net) by literally hundreds (if not thousands) of users in the years: it is clear that, after a while, discussing about the reasons why it's this way and not the other makes no sense: I just know that every time I use those switches my brain has to devote a thread to the operation itself, b/c I have to recall the notion that it's the other way round that my spontaneous approach.
    I won't certainly dismiss the Remote just because of this, even tho it doesn't work in a way that makes sense to me :)

Not sure what are you referring to, but the BROWSE knob will show recently loaded preset, which this request is about. Could you explain more "what it never shows"?

Browse is useful to check the last used preset only. If you load a certain preset in rig A and then another preset in rig B, the information about what preset was used for Rig A will not be shown by the Browse knob.

Hope this clarifies :)

I still don't understand what the reference to the original preset would help you with.

As I have written in the thread I linked, it is a reference point specially for those effect where

• lots of parameters are available;
    • the sonic result may vastly vary depending on parameters' values;
    • there's (this is a real issue for me at least) no way to tell it from the way it sounds;
    • it' not trivial to tweak by ear in order to try and match a sound.

User may want to use similiar effect in different RIG. Of course he can use LOCK function or copy/paste function.

Yep, Copy is always available. OTOH, it's of no use when for example

• you want to restart from scratch with tweaking a preset you have worked on hours/days ago (so Undo would not be available) because you liked its original sound but you feel you're not going in the right direction;
    • You want to have the original preset as a reference point and want all your sounds to move around a certain family of sounds, i.e. to be variations of the same "mother".

I have a band where I use rigs with 2-3 delays and 1-2 revs, and while each rig sounds different I am trying to keep a certain sound consistency, and feel that referring to a same preset is part of that.
    For a new song, I'd like to know what I've used in other rigs, so that I can start from the same basic sound every time.
    Hope this makes sense :)

Parameters could be modified to an extent, that this statement "based on preset A" is meaningless or even misleading.

True.
    We have already discussed this in the other thread tho: it doesn't seem an outcome that would render the option useless (see above).

You can delete presets, you will be able to modify and replace presets or rename presets in OS 7.0. Rigs can be shared without "their" presets. So, this message "based on presets A" could lead into the woods

Right. it might not, tho. If a specific preset is not on the device the feature would be less immediately useful, but I could nevertheless be able to retrieve it from a backup or from a colleague, if I knew what to search for.

Hope this makes sense.

the comment field comes to mind, you can easily fill this info in using Rig Manager

True.

With 3 delays and 2 revs for each rig this is quite a demanding and long task tho. And, things would need to be edited every time the user changes their mind about what to use.

Hope this makes sense.

Still chasing a worthy one :/

Edited once, last by pippopluto ().

• However, most of the situations people want to refer to the "current preset", there is no such thing! We don't want to indicate something as "current preset" which doesn't exist. There might be a preset which had been loaded in the past followed by parameters changes. So the current state is not equal to that preset, might not even be close, could be completely different.

Yeah right, so you should also stop displaying rig name since it doesnt exist and could have been modified...

• How about as well as the wording going from 'Preset Name' to 'Preset Name *' to indicate the user has tweaked the original preset, the wording also begins to fade (or perhaps crumble) away to nothing, the more the user tweaks, until the new preset no longer in any shape or form resembles the original one.

Perhaps the guys and gals working on finishing the Editor could hang fire on that (people have waited years already, so what's a few more months, eh?) and focus on my idea above.

However, it's meant to be a scorcher in Old Blighty this weekend, which means it's Summer and I'm therefore expecting the Editor to drop today or tomorrow.

:)

• It's probably been said earlier but it is a real pain that you can't tell which preset was originally initially associated with a current stomp/fx position e.g. 'Default' or 'Formant Blast +'. Once you select it, poof! it's name is gone. Now my memory is not good enough to remember which particular preset I selected many moons ago and it would be great to know so I could go back to where I started from when I f*ck it up.... There is plenty of room on the right side of the display for this. The original preset name should also be the default name when storing as a new preset (with perhaps 'New' at the end?).

• Here are a couple of suggestions for ways to make use of the current system capabilities for those of you who feel like you would benefit from a System change:

If you find an FX setting in a Rig that you would like to use in another Rig, you don't need to know if it is a preset or not, to be able to use it in other Rigs. You can Copy the Effect, and Paste it into another Rig.

If you like the setting well enough to save it as a new Preset, give it a meaningful name (like the name of a Rig you have used it in), so you will remember it in the future.