My Kemper/Amp comparison Part 2

• Interesting that you say the Kemper has the usual TS mid hump. I've just finished recording a new profile and I've found virtually no difference between the two. I honestly don't hear the "mid hump" in the new comparison.

I’m pretty sure if you did the same video but just out A and B without showing which was which most of us wouldn’t be able to tell the profile from the real amp.

• Fun to hear and really, really close overall. After further listening I hear a touch more definition with the Kemper. This nudges the guitar slightly forward in the track (which is good in my opinion). But let's remember: asking guitarists to comment on tone is like asking medieval monks "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?".

Ain't this a fantastic time to be a guitar player?

• I’m pretty sure if you did the same video but just out A and B without showing which was which most of us wouldn’t be able to tell the profile from the real amp.

I'd take up the challenge. I don't think one is better than the other, but I think I can pick the right one unless it's in the metal domain which I don't know. :/

• And factor in that everyone's ears are different. Some people hear things that others don't or don't readily/easily. Just take a peek at the comments section for these comparisons and you see any assortment of people who can hear differences, can't hear them, or those resorting to rationalization/confirmation bias.

• Interesting that you say the Kemper has the usual TS mid hump. I've just finished recording a new profile and I've found virtually no difference between the two. I honestly don't hear the "mid hump" in the new comparison.

I've heard comparisons that get crazy close, and others that are quite different. Without hearing it myself, hard to pass any kind of judgement, even though the "mid hump" has been observed and addressed many, many times. That being said, plenty of times people say they couldn't hear a difference where I was able to. And don't take this as me saying I have the proverbial "golden ears" as some like to mock, I certainly don't. There have been plenty of times I've struggled to hear a difference that someone else was able to hear and pick out.

None of this makes anything bad, but if we're comparing then it's useful to point them out.

• I've heard comparisons that get crazy close, and others that are quite different. Without hearing it myself, hard to pass any kind of judgement, even though the "mid hump" has been observed and addressed many, many times. That being said, plenty of times people say they couldn't hear a difference where I was able to. And don't take this as me saying I have the proverbial "golden ears" as some like to mock, I certainly don't. There have been plenty of times I've struggled to hear a difference that someone else was able to hear and pick out.

None of this makes anything bad, but if we're comparing then it's useful to point them out.

There is definitely a difference in those two clips. Which sounds better? I'm not sure. They are too close to matter. I did post another video and if you listen to that one I think you'll be amazed at just how close they are to each other. It's posted in the forum as my Part 3 video.

• There is definitely a difference in those two clips. Which sounds better? I'm not sure. They are too close to matter. I did post another video and if you listen to that one I think you'll be amazed at just how close they are to each other. It's posted in the forum as my Part 3 video.

I did see your 3rd one the other day, I just didn't want to be redundant by posting the same thing. The result is the same as in this comparison, though that effect is small enough most people likely won't hear it, especially not when they're tuning their ears. Kemper has a bit more "TS" boost and high end presence.

Since that was a distortion pedal, was the amp on clean or did the amp also have some measure of gain? I just ask because Kemper themselves discuss not being able to accurately profile multiple distorting stages. Would be interesting to know how you had it set up.

• Like others I hear a little more treble/upper mid push on the Kemper and the real amp sounds a little more... rounded? The Kemper feels a little more forward in the mix, the real amp feels a little more natural somehow, not sure exactly how. Maybe if you put on a dark room verb on the Kemper it would sound more similar, you'd get that slightly delayed bass sound oomph so it wouldn't sound so flat like everything is coming at you at once.

• the real amp sounds a little more... rounded? The Kemper feels a little more forward in the mix, the real amp feels a little more natural somehow, not sure exactly how.

My feelings exactly. I think people like how Kemper "cuts" because it gives you more high mids and presence, but in my recording experience it becomes a bit too shrill. When you dial it back to cut some of the harshness, the tone starts to feel a bit thin, which is why I stopped using it for recording (in my particular context). With real amps you can make EQ cuts and still feels full to me, but of course YMMV.

• I watched the "Kemper comparison ... -Part2 " video on utube. First time listening I totally forgot to "watch out for any differences" - the playing and the melodies had my full attention.

So I gave it a second try - same thing ^^ Just got carried away by the awesome song and playing!! So for today I don't care if there are any differences :D I had a long day - for now I just listen to some Hanmer stuff on youtube and enjoy it... with another cold beer in my hand and a big salute to that great guitar player... (and just because I am in the mood: Cheers to ashtweth another day you are missed here... the next bottle(s) for you) :*

• I watched the "Kemper comparison ... -Part2 " video on utube. First time listening I totally forgot to "watch out for any differences" - the playing and the melodies had my full attention.

So I gave it a second try - same thing ^^ Just got carried away by the awesome song and playing!! So for today I don't care if there are any differences :D I had a long day - for now I just listen to some Hanmer stuff on youtube and enjoy it... with another cold beer in my hand and a big salute to that great guitar player... (and just because I am in the mood: Cheers to ashtweth another day you are missed here... the next bottle(s) for you) :*

Thank you for your comments Ibot,

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

What a pity ashtweth left.

Good comparison Foxglovestudios . I think I would be happy with either tone.

• Thanks for the kind words Guys, i answer a lot of PM's and did on a 2 kemper set up for a few, so if you guys need me just send me a PM i am here and always answer and miss you guys :). Ah the good old days, you guys do great to keep the fort going well here ;) and i read all of what you say an appreciate it:thumbup:

All respect

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Foxglovestudios Watching the u-tube videos I noticed, that you have a rather unusual playing technique. It seems you hit the strings with a LOT of energy and strength. But at the same time it sounds very fluid and emotive!!

Isnt't that more exhausting to play with so much "energy"? Have you setup your guitar with high or lower string height? Sorry for all the questions ^^

• Foxglovestudios Watching the u-tube videos I noticed, that you have a rather unusual playing technique. It seems you hit the strings with a LOT of energy and strength. But at the same time it sounds very fluid and emotive!!

Isnt't that more exhausting to play with so much "energy"? Have you setup your guitar with high or lower string height? Sorry for all the questions ^^

No problem Ibot,

I do play pretty hard but a long time ago I forced myself to change picks from a 6mm piece of plexiglass (perspex) which I had to make myself, to a red sharkfin. I just found that I was breaking too many strings with the heavy pick. I also upped my string gauge to 11s from 10s.

Playing with the sharkfin I haven't snapped a string since and I'm quite used to it.

My guitars have a fairly low action but not too low as to cause fret buzz.

I also have a bit of an exaggerated vibrato and was wearing out frets until I changed to stainless steel ones.^^ Best thing I ever did!

Thanks for your kind comments.

Cheers.

• Thanks! These are some useful and interesting informations. And also something to have in mind, when comparing sounds! For example when I play (your) profiles for myself, I can't expect them to sound exactly the same.

But your videos proof, that the Kemper is able to react very much the same to your picking as the original gear chain did- at least that is what I can hear.

• Thanks! These are some useful and interesting informations. And also something to have in mind, when comparing sounds! For example when I play (your) profiles for myself, I can't expect them to sound exactly the same.

But your videos proof, that the Kemper is able to react very much the same to your picking as the original gear chain did- at least that is what I can hear.

Yes, what you might have to do is to add a little or subtract a little gain to compensate. I can say that the profile does respond quite nicely to slight tweaks with the gain control.

The Kemper has done an amazing job of capturing my own setup. Even with the "feel" side of things.

I've used modellers for many years and had a lot of success with them. I even managed to get really good recorded tone with the POD 2 and the POD HD500xX. I also liked the Helix a lot. My only gripe was the fact that I couldn't get the tone of my exact setup... until I bought the Kemper.