PU neck replacement for Epiphone Les Paul : Gary Moore sound

• Hi Guys

I love so much the Gary Moore Blues sound (Back to the blues) and I would like to buy a new PU neck position with

aggressive and scratchy sound.

Just now I am using Gibson 57 (neck) and 57 Plus on bridge.

On bridge sound good, but on neck seem be to much dark (500k pots ) and to much compressed ( great for Jazz):

Any suggest ? What do you think about DDi marzio 36th anniversary ?

Thanks !

Ciao:)

Edited 2 times, last by Farko63 ().

• Hi,

I also like very much GM. I have on my Les Paul the Alnico II™ Pro HB - neck APH-1n

It allow me to nail the tone of Gary Moore and it's great for Blues and Rock in general.

Rolling down the volume it is great for Jazz too. I think it is better than the 57 because it has a similar tone but it's a little hotter, so more versatile IMHO.

• a new PU neck position with

aggressive and scratchy sound

Neck PU & aggressive are opposite to me , when I need an aggressive and scratchy sound I always use a bridge PU & most often a p90 that really shine there with ultimate brightness vs an Humbucker.

You could also use middle position of the lester with 50 % volume of the bridge PU and 100 % volume neck, that will add a tad of twang.

Third solution is a split of the neck PU if the PU has 4 wires.

• Change the pickup height first to see how this changes the sound. This makes a huge difference. ;)

Then consider changing the wiring to 50s wiring.

If this won't get you where you want, change the pickup to an Alnico 5 pickup like you've already planned and repeat experimenting with pickup height.

If you don't like the loss of treble when you turn down the volume, consider a (mild) treble bleed circuit.

• Change the pickup height first to see how this changes the sound. This makes a huge difference. ;)

Then consider changing the wiring to 50s wiring.

If this won't get you where you want, change the pickup to an Alnico 5 pickup like you've already planned and repeat experimenting with pickup height.

If you don't like the loss of treble when you turn down the volume, consider a (mild) treble bleed circuit.

I adjusted the height on neck pu : it 's very low for increase high frequency and improved just a little ...

• Those pickups are fine, the effect of a swap would be negligible. I'd try tweaking something else in your chain.

...but so strange to get bright sound on bridge and so dark sound on neck: the sound balance seem be to much different than other guitars that I have...

Please note the circuit was just checked more and more time : all is fine.

PS One Doubt : On box of PU was not specified if was for neck or bridge...could be this the explain for the dark sound ?

• Then consider changing the wiring to 50s wiring.

Bingo! The problem was the bad Epiphone tone circuit ! I rewired 50 style and now the pickup is Bright and Aggressive as I looking for ! After years now sound so good !!!

Thank you so much All: Every one give me right suggest for find the solution.

Ciao :P

• I changed out all wiring in the guitar, and put in real Gibson parts. If you do this, learn from my mistake that the schematics for the Epiphone Toggle Switch differs from the Gibson Toggle Switch. I first tried doing it "the easy way" of taking a wire off, and putting it on the Gibson switch. It didn't work. I looked at the schematics and rewired it the correct way.