Poll - Ultimate FRFR solution

• Poll

What's the ultimate FRFR speaker for an unpowered Kemper Profiler?

Matrix Q12A
    Matrix FR10 / FR12
    Yamaha DXR 8 / 10 / 12
    Alto Pro TS312
    Headrush FR108 / FR112
    Laney LFR-112
    Atomic CLR
    Mission Engineering Gemini 2
    Line 6 Power Cab
    Friedman ASM12
    XiTone Mbritt
    BlueAmps Spark
    QSC K8 / K12
  • I haven't tried them all, but I own DXR10, XiTone MBritt, and Bose L1.

I've only put the L1 through its paces for about 3 practices, but I'll give it to the XiTone MBritt.

Amazing dispersion, love the fact you can run open or closed back, and it's portable. Built like a tank too.

• Depends on what you're looking for. I just got the Headrush FR112 and really happy with it. There are a ton of FRFR shootout videos and the Headrush was a little more brittle than most, especially the Friedman, but it's also almost one third the cost. This was my first stepping into the FRFR world, so I thought it would be best to dip the toe rather than go full bore. Since this was more for band practice and stage volume I need it to sound good, but also be loud enough for rock and metal. It was a lot louder than I even thought. Also, it sounded a lot better in person than it did on video, so I was actually happier than expected. Overall, if money was no object, I would probably go with the Mission, but that is only because of the reviews I got from other Kemper users being the only other FRFR that I heard with it. Also, Kemper is releasing active and passive cabs, so things may change soon.

• Hard thing to ask people to answer since nobody has sat down with all of these (and missing lesser-known stuff like Accugroove). There is an older thread that may be of interest on this subject:

My FRFR shootout

Tone Junkie also made an interesting video on this, as well:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Depends on what you're looking for. I just got the Headrush FR112 and really happy with it. There are a ton of FRFR shootout videos and the Headrush was a little more brittle than most, especially the Friedman, but it's also almost one third the cost. This was my first stepping into the FRFR world, so I thought it would be best to dip the toe rather than go full bore. Since this was more for band practice and stage volume I need it to sound good, but also be loud enough for rock and metal. It was a lot louder than I even thought. Also, it sounded a lot better in person than it did on video, so I was actually happier than expected. Overall, if money was no object, I would probably go with the Mission, but that is only because of the reviews I got from other Kemper users being the only other FRFR that I heard with it. Also, Kemper is releasing active and passive cabs, so things may change soon.

Plus, the Headrush speakers go to 11 on the volume dials. They're one louder.

• The Alto in HW's video is the only non-guitar specific speaker in the shootout. Too much bass? Yep....but it doesn't fall on its' face next to the Mission Engineering. The Mission sounds better, period. But for nearly 5 times the cost?

Would be nice to hear the Headrush version in this.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I have tried many different things, from various PA speakers (Yorkville, Headrush, Yamaha) Bose L1 , etc. But I keep going back to my Roland KC-350. I can get it to sound like anything I have tried plus I can easily run two of them for stereo.

The MBritt really had my interest but since the announced Kemper, I am now holding out now for the Kemper Kab.

• For me it depends on the style of music and the volume needed. My 2xDXR10 sounds great for rock at all volumes and metal up to medium volumes. At full rehearsal volume they don't cut it for metal.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I don't think there is an objective answer to the question. Everyone's ears and needs are different. It would be great to find a local retailer who stocked all the major suspects so you could try them all with your own Kemper and decide. That wasn't possible so "flying blind" I trusted Yamaha's reputation and the overwhelmingly positive reviews I read from other Kemper users.

I use two Yamaha DXR10 speakers as floor wedges and I'm quite happy with the sounds. I would likely have purchased the Atomic CLR if you could actually get them but you can't. My two Yamaha speakers cost only 20% more than one CLR, suit my needs well and were delivered the next day. Can you tell I'm not a fan of companies who cannot solve the riddle of supply chain logistics?

• The Alto in HW's video is the only non-guitar specific speaker in the shootout. Too much bass? Yep....but it doesn't fall on its' face next to the Mission Engineering. The Mission sounds better, period. But for nearly 5 times the cost?

Would be nice to hear the Headrush version in this.

Not sure if this helps, but it's a shootout between the Friedman and the Headrush.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Not sure if this helps, but it's a shootout between the Friedman and the Headrush.

External Content www.youtube.com

As I understand it, the Alto and Headrush share the enclosure, but the amp, drivers and dsp are tuned for guitar and not general PA duties.

The Alto is 1100w Peak, 550w rms, 127db SPL, 28.4 lbs.

Headrush is 2000w Peak, 1000w rms, 131db SPL, 35.8lbs

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I have a pair of Friedman ASM 12s and they sound great with the KPA, Helix, and the OX via a DSL Marshall.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user