Drive into input = amazing, same pedal into loop, set in stomps section = sucks

• Hello
    Yesterday a friend of mine brought Chandler Limited Little Devil Colored Boost (Red) as he heard opinions that it makes profiles feel "alive". After setting the pedal and profile (low gain) we both were blown away by the quality of the sound - never have any of my profiles sounded so good before. It was pushing the input very hard, the led was blinking red all the time, but no clipping at all.

After turning the pedal off, the volume would drop drastically (obviously, that's a drive pedal) so in order for me to use it with kemper, I have to use it with the profile I made for it. I figured out the best way to use this pedal + preset and then be able to quickly switch to clean sound or any other profile, would be to have it always ON in the Effects Loop and then assign Loop as A in Stomps Section, then I would put the pedal in the back of my kemper (non-powered head, great storage space for pedals that go into the loop section). I'm sure the noise gate was at 0 all the time.

The big problem was - the same pedal with the same settings sounded horribly in the stomp section (Mono Loop with 1 pedal), it was clipping, the tone was not right.

What may be the cause that guitar > pedal > input = greatest tone I've ever had and guitar > input > stomps A: this pedal in the loop > profile = unusable sound?
    Is there something happening on the input? like a buffor? or a compression?
    What can I do to have that tone while the pedal is in the loop (set before amp simulation)

• Instead of Loop Mono, select Loop Distortion.

Reference Manual, page 158:

The Loop Distortion is made for connecting distortion pedals to the PROFILER and is only in mono. The feature unique to this loop, is that any volume boost of a preceding effect will be applied to the DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND jack, thus driving the external distortion pedal. This is what you would expect, anyway. The regular Loop Mono and Loop Stereo do this differently: here, the volume boost of a preceding effect will be applied after the return of the loop. The send level will be unaffected, so the connected effect will not be overdriven. The regular Loop Mono and Loop Stereo are suitable for all non-distorting effects.

• Ok, so I tried and I failed. Loop Distortion makes it sound like I have a zvex fuzz factory or just a 9v battery that's dying. It actually sounds even worse than Loop Mono.
    Cracking all over the place, hum is very apparent and I think it's much louder. Setting Loop Distortion volume below 0 makes it even worse and setting it above 0 just hides the tone of the pedal behind gain of the preset. I'm really disappointed since the same pedal plugged in the front is amazing but I cannot see myself using it without having to dance on switches whenever I want to change preset to something else. Any other ideas?

• Try to adjust

¨   FX Loop Level

“FX Loop Level” controls the outgoing signal level of the hardware effects loop for correct leveling of the external device. This helps to prevent noise or distortion. It is a global parameter and affects Loop Mono as well as Loop Stereo. Loop Distortion is not affected by “FX Loop Level”.

üIncreases of SEND output level are compensated for corresponding decreases of RETURN INPUT level and vice versa. Therefore, the level and effect loop mix of the output signal stay unaltered.

• Try to adjust

¨   FX Loop Level

“FX Loop Level” controls the outgoing signal level of the hardware effects loop for correct leveling of the external device. This helps to prevent noise or distortion. It is a global parameter and affects Loop Mono as well as Loop Stereo. Loop Distortion is not affected by “FX Loop Level”.

üIncreases of SEND output level are compensated for corresponding decreases of RETURN INPUT level and vice versa. Therefore, the level and effect loop mix of the output signal stay unaltered.

I did try to change Loop volume (when you select Loop Distortion or Loop Mono and you get Volume as the only control to the assigned effect/function) and as I described above:

Setting Loop Distortion volume below 0 makes it even worse, sounds like a dead battery or Matt Bellamy / Jack White type of fuzz (broken amp tone) and setting it above 0 just hides the tone of the pedal behind gain of the preset, totally changes it towards something like a Boss Metal Zone type of thing.

Are there any other level controls? Where should I look for them?

• Out of curiosity, loop mono has a mix control whereas loop distortion does not.

Is there a workaround besides just using loop mono?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Try to adjust

¨   FX Loop Level

Hello Burkhard,

I just happened to be reading this older thread, as I was thinking of installing my PastFx Chorus Preamp (Boss CE-1 preamp clone) into the hardware loop of my KPA PowerRack. I am confused by your answer to BotanicalTuna. He had previously posted that he had tried using the Loop Distortion mode, and was still having problems. You then replied by advising him to "try to adjust FX Loop Level". Then, you included a quote from the User Manual, which (if I understand it correctly) states that adjustments to FX Loop Level will not affect Loop Distortion. Something doesn't make sense. Is the User Manual incorrect, or did you not see that BotanicalTuna was trying to work with the Loop Distortion Mode...or am I completely confused (always a possibility). :)

In any event, if you could clarify on this matter, it will be greatly appreciated. It may save me some trouble-shooting and frustration.

Cheers,

John