Got an experiment for folks to try.

• I'm working on a theory and need some others to check it out. Take a couple of your favorite higher gain rigs (nothing too insane) and make copies of them. Now on the copies do the following:

1. Set all of these to <0.0> (trust me!)

- AMP: power sagging - pick - compressor - clarity - ***tube shape*** - tube bias - direct mix - volume

- all 4 EQ bands

- all 4 CAB options

- OUTPUT: make sure pure cab is set to 0.0 and that space is headphones only

2. Re-adjust the definition control (1st) and main EQ (2nd) as needed. Volume matching should be done with the Rig Volume control only. SAVE.

3. Over the course of at least 2-3 sessions, compare the copy with the original and let me know your thoughts. Be sure to check them both dry (no FX) and loaded down with modulation and ambience.

Thanks to anyone willing to participate. I'll let you know the theory after I have more feedback from others.

*** EDIT: LEAVE OR SET TUBE SHAPE TO 3.3

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by don1960lp ().

• *** Yes. 0.0 for tube shape.***

UPDATE: leave or set 'tube shape' at 3.3 - thanks Michael!

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Edited 2 times, last by don1960lp ().

• Gain dirty enough to growl but clean enough to articulate single notes without too much mud. Something that cleans up with the guitar's volume.

Not Fender clean or Triple Rectifier scream.

And you're comparing your favorite rig with it's current settings with the same rig with my settings.

• I'm not sure what you're looking for, since tone is so subjective. However, I took my favorite Marshall rig and tried this. I didn't like the result as much as the original, and determined that the primary reason was due to the Clarity parameter being zero. I'm sure the impact will vary by rig and by ear.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Please, no quick judgements. Try the comparison again at another time with a 100% fresh set of ears. I'm really not looking for a better or worse response. Just what (if anything) you find it does to the base tone and any particular artifacts that go away or you now notice.

Zapp: did you re-adjust the definition and EQ on the copy before deciding you were missing 'clarity'?

• Yes, I adjusted Definition and EQ. To be fair, the original rig is really outstanding, and it would be very hard to improve upon ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer