Can't hear Kemper Details/Reverbs with studio monitors. What's going on?

• So I want to give a Kemper another shot. I will be purchasing one in a couple of weeks, but figured I should listen to direct un processed recordings of some profiles through various monitoring methods to see what I should expect.

I actually had this issue the last time I had a Kemper and was never able to properly figure it out.

When I listen to profile recordings through my iMac built in speakers, I hear all the details such as reverb, "roominess", sounds like a miced up amp.

As soon as I route the sound to the monitors (JBL 305's), the guitar sounds a lot drier, the effects are harder to pick up. The reverb tails are very faint. Through the iMac speakers, the Top Jimi profiles sound fantastic. I can hear the reverb tails clearly.

Tried with both a Focusrite 6i6 and NI Komplete Audio 6. Same result with the studio monitors.

Here is a good example of a recording I am listening to:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The plate reverb in this tone is very important to the overall tone. Through the iMac speakers, I hear it all, the reverb, slight delay, sounds like a real amp recorded.

Switch to the monitors, all the airiness goes away. Reverb practically disappears. Tone sounds A lot drier. On the Unchained riff, through the iMac I hear the flanger very well. Through the monitors it is much less pronounced.

I then plugged in headphones to the iMac, and got a similar result. Through the headphones the sound is drier, reverb a lot less pronounced, same with the flanger, although better than the studio monitors. However, these are $30-40 Sony headphones I bought at Best Buy to listen to music.

Even in non guitar stuff, for example this video:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In the beginning when he is talking, he has music playing in the background. On the iMac, I actually hear this music. Very clearly actually, slightly less volume than his voice. On the monitors, the background music is much fainter, and it is mostly his voice.

On headphones, I can hear both the voice and background music clearly.

Why would things like reverb, and other small details disappear on these monitors? Anything I can do besides looking at other monitoring options?

What's funny is the iMac built in speakers are not that great, yet I hear way more detail, and the profile recordings through them sound amazing.

Maybe that's just the way these speakers are? Maybe the iMac speakers have a EQ curve that accentuates these other things. Or maybe the mac automatically adds reverb itself, but I doubt that.

Just for kicks, I sent the left side into the aux in of my roland cube, and shut off the other monitor. Through the cube I hear the reverbs much more pronounced, basically I hear everything the way I hear it in the iMac, just a little darker and bassier, probably from the 10" speaker.

Here is another video I was A/Bing:

Through the monitors, I can hear the reverb but it's nowhere near as pronounced as through iMac. I even listened to it through another PC laptop and the reverbs are there.

at 3:48, he does a funk thing where he slaps his hand against the strings. On the monitors, I just hear it as a thunk, with maybe a very very faint reverb. Through the iMac after he hits against the strings the reverb effect after it comes out very clearly.

I want to have the most enjoyable monitoring experience with the kemper. Maybe something like a Line 6 Power Cab will do better with these types of details?

Last time I had a Kemper I had the same issue. When I played through studio monitors, I would have to crank reverb mix to like 40-50% to feel like I could properly hear it.

Perhaps the JBL's are just not good with the details? Maybe Yamaha HS5's would be better? I hear they are less bass and more pronounced mids and highs so maybe they would do better with details like reverb, "airyness"

• Where are they placed? That’s a huge factor. They need to be at ear level. Btw, I have been helping people with their Kemper rigs on Skype if that’s something you might be interested in.

• Two things might contribute to this:

- First, laptop speakers are like a bandpass filter so you only hear the mids and highs, making easier to separate the midrange information from the rest

- Second, maybe your room treatment isn't up to par. High end reflections can make reverb tails hard to hear.

- Third (yeah I said two things) any traffic noise coming from outside, fan noise in the room etc. can hide reverbs.

The solution would be better high end treatment (diffusers) and/or using headphones or midrangey monitors (like Avantones) to check the reverb tails.

• I seem to recall that when reading reviews of the JBLs some years ago that it was mentioned in one review that there was something about them that made reverbs stand out less than other monitors, causing some people to overcompensate a bit if not careful. I can't find the article now. I may misremember, it might have been the top end or something - so please don't base things too much on my faulty memory :)

From what you describe, though, it definitely does seem like a monitor issue. Try experimenting with reverbs in your DAW (eg. on a vocal recording or something), and see if you don't get the same difference there.

• It's a common problem due to bad acoustic spaces. I have a similar problem in my rented apartment.

Try positioning your monitors as far from any walls as possible and raise it off your desk. If it's possible, try to get some acoustic treatment done to treat your space somewhat as well.

It's also a good idea to check your mix on headphones from time to time to figure out whether your recording is being washed out by excessive reverb.

It's also important to listen at a healthy amount of volume so that you can hear the little details.

• As far as an update, I sent my scarlett 6i6 headphone out into the aux in of my roland cube 30x. Played the Top Jimi brown sound video and I can hear the reverbs and effects much better, very similar to the iMac but the iMac still wins. What I can't hear however are the delays toward the end when he plays cathedral. On the cube, I just hear the initial note, not any of the ping pong delay, where as on the iMac I hear it all.

I think this may just be because I am sending a stereo signal to an amp with only 1 speaker.

I think maybe what I need is not some type of sterile sounding studio monitors, but something that plays music really well, and just plug my kemper into that....i don't know.

I wonder how everything would sound if I plugged it into the aux of say a Yamaha THR10 for example, since that is stereo. Unfortunately I don't have a THR10 to try.

Even something like a Roland Cube Street EX.

• good studio monitors do not sound sterile but neutral and accurate. They are the recommended choice for listening to the PROFILER in a studio situation. I would suggest you try something like the HS series from Yamaha or if you have the budget some monitors from Genelec or Focal to get the most out of the PROFILER.