Sterile sounding rigs?

• Hey guys, so I've been using the Kemper for about 6 months now and the only thing I really have an issue with is that all the rigs seem to sound kind of sterile. I am using the sinmix free pack right now, and while it does sound far better than what came stock (sorry Kemper) I still feel like I can't EQ it enough to get it to sound powerful and not scratchy. Is the paid sinmix pack that much better ? I also have noticed a sort of wine noise whenever I play anything, almost as if my guitar is tuned a little sharp. But it's in 440 and tuning is spot on. Perhaps a pickup change is in order? I'm using a SD JB in the bridge and an alnico 2 in the neck. My guitar just doesn't sound as dark as Guitars on any records really, it almost sounds kind of happy. Maybe I'm going crazy.

Tldr.

Anyone have any experience with the sinmix pack that cost money? Anything better out there?

New pickup suggestions? (Gibson explorer)

:)

• I am using the sinmix free pack right now, and while it does sound far better than what came stock (sorry Kemper)

It always strikes me as strange when people say the factory content is poor and things get so much better after you buy 3rd party profile packs. Most of the content that comes with the Kemper is demos from leading commercial profilers such as MBritt, Top Jimi, TAF, etc. These profilers include free demos in the hope that users will buy their other packs so they have an incentive to include good quality profiles that represent their style in the factory content. It is really be a matter of taste rather than quality with the factory content.

• It always strikes me as strange when people say the factory content is poor and things get so much better after you buy 3rd party profile packs. Most of the content that comes with the Kemper is demos from leading commercial profilers such as MBritt, Top Jimi, TAF, etc. These profilers include free demos in the hope that users will buy their other packs so they have an incentive to include good quality profiles that represent their style in the factory content. It is really be a matter of taste rather than quality with the factory content.

I agree. There are quite some gems in the original Kemper content, especially from the infamous Nashville profiling sessions. I'd even go as far as to recommend to new users to look for LEGACY Kemper content.

• Should have clarified, the kemper stock clean sounds and the light distortion ( dirty blues) all sound pretty great, but none of the high gain sounded good. Yes I attempted to make my own to no avail.

My guitar just doesn't sound as dark as Guitars on any records really, it almost sounds kind of happy. Maybe I'm going crazy.

Sheepfan bear in mind that the guitar tones on recordings rarely sound like what came out the amp while recording.

In metal, the guitars are almost always layered several times and tend to have a lot less bass than you might expect. A lot of the low end that seems to be guitar is often actually the bass. Add to that the EQ and effects added at the desk by the recording engineer and the tones can be significantly different from the amp.

Have you listened to many isolated guitar tracks from classic recordings?

How do the Kemper high gain sounds compare where you put them up against just a single isolated guitar track?

Have you seen Rick Beato’s recent Master of Puppets video where he plays the isolated then doubled Hetfield tracks?

• And I know that guitar tones on albums are usually far different than what you hear while playing yourself, but how do I get a darker Fuller sound? EQ just doesn't seem to be doing it. That's why I thought maybe a pickup change would be good.

• they sound scratchy

• And I know that guitar tones on albums are usually far different than what you hear while playing yourself, but how do I get a darker Fuller sound? EQ just doesn't seem to be doing it. That's why I thought maybe a pickup change would be good.

A pickup change will clearly alter the sound of the guitar but I would be surprised if it has the sort of significant fattening that you are after.

• Wait a second, you said you made your own profiles of sounds that you liked. And you weren’t happy with the results I take it.

How did you compare the profile to the source sound? Can we hear recordings of both, maybe the same signal reamped through both?

• These profilers include free demos in the hope that users will buy their other packs so they have an incentive to include good quality profiles that represent their style in the factory content.

Actually, Kemper itself chooses the Rigs that're included, Alan. That's not to say that the vendors don't submit carefully-chosen batches; just that the company auditions and determines exactly which Rigs are included.

Do you have too low action? Because too low action will give you a scratchy and brighter sound. I can't say if that's the case for you but many users complaining the kemper doesn't sound good should start with the source first, namely the guitar.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Action is actually higher than what's considered normal cause I pick hard. (Have had it professionally set up) and I dont have any recording fear sadly :( everything just sounds happy. When I play and E note compared to stuff on records that are the same tuning it just sounds kind of lame and Honky. Idk how else to describe it. I could also be crazy.