USB Issue / "Operation Failed"

• Hello, new user here...just getting used to my new Kemper Rack and Remote. I've got some profiles I'd like to get onto the unit, but it won't format the new USB stick I am trying to use.

When I insert the stick, the screen tells me it needs to be formatted and that it will erase all data. OK. Are you Sure? Both the Yes and No light appear to be lit, however when press Yes, or press and hold for a few seconds (any type of "press") nothing happens. Unless this is supposed to take over 10 minutes, something is not working right.

I've formatted it on my PC, scanned for errors (none found) and it seems to work fine there but on the Kemper unit, nothing.

First time I tried I eventually just remove it, and I received "Operation Failed" and now, nothing happens when I take it out, the unit is stuck/locked. Awesome.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tim

Edited once, last by rayneman ().

• Hey Tim, welcome to the forum, mate.

Firstly, the process can take a while, so for starters you might want to try again and leave it for a while; as long as you can, really. I've only formatted 16GB sticks, which doesn't take too long, but it's still kinda-slow. If your stick is substantially-bigger, it could be that this is why it's taking so much longer. I don't know what bearing, if any, the size has on the length of the process, but I'm just putting it out there.

Failing this, you could try formatting the stick to FAT32 on your computer; IIRC this is the format the Kemper uses.

• Welcome to the forum! If that USB drive continues to fail I'd try a different one. You don't need much space, so a small drive will do.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Indeed; that's ridiculous, man.

You could have around 350 Cabs and 600 Presets covering Stomps, Reverb, Pitch, EQ and whatever and these will require 16mb to back up. The full .kpabackup file for the figures I just gave, the one you end up with on your stick if you use the Backup / Restore function, weighs in at 7.9mb.

100mb will allow you to store around a dozen of these full-backup files, plus all your cabs and presets separately (they'll all be in the full-backup files anyway) and the latest OS (kaos.bin) in case you need to reinstall it for whatever reason.

So, given that 100mb is likely enough, the wise thing to do IMHO would be to get the smallest stick you can. 1G would be perfect IMHO, if you can find one. Generally these days I'm finding most vendors start at either 8 or 16GB; either is fine. 256GB is "cutting-edge" and therefore extremely-expensive (will drop to $30 next year, but currently hundreds). Always pays IMHO to upgrade stick size a year or more after a new size hits the market.

Hope all this helps, man; I really tried to put some perspective on the 256G choice. :)

• Indeed, I see the error of my ways. For once, buying "the biggest and the baddest" failed spectacularly. At the end of the day, I snagged an old, small USB stick from the "junk drawer" of the house...I believe it was my daughter's, and featured "hello kitty" on it. Well that one did the job with no issues.

Thanks for the help everyone!