Bandhelper app midi song/performance?

• Searched and maybe missed it, but can you use the Bandhelper app to choose a song in the playlist, and have that song change the Kemper to a particular performance?

I'm thinking that my Android tab bluetooth -> Yamaha MD-BT01 -> Kemper midi in might allow this.

I'd like to be able to have a setlist in Bandhelper, and scroll to a particular song, click it, and have the Kemper go to a particular performance.

Anybody try this?

• Hi, I use it with a few differences, but it must be more or less the same for you:

iPad -> Quicco Sound mi.1 Wireless Midi Adapter ->Kemper mid in

I work with SetListMaker

settings:

1.MIDI Devices/Make a new one for your Kemper/Port=all/Channel=5/Active

2.MIDI Presets/Make for every performance a new MIDI Preset:

Name: 01-1 -> Active -> Program Changes (Bank MSB, Bank, LSB, Program) / Kemper 0-0-0

Name: 01-2 -> Active -> Program Changes (Bank MSB, Bank, LSB, Program) / Kemper 0-0-1

Name: 01-3 -> Active -> Program Changes (Bank MSB, Bank, LSB, Program) / Kemper 0-0-2

Name: 01-4 -> Active -> Program Changes (Bank MSB, Bank, LSB, Program) / Kemper 0-0-3

Name: 01-5 -> Active -> Program Changes (Bank MSB, Bank, LSB, Program) / Kemper 0-0-4

Name: 02-1 -> Active -> Program Changes (Bank MSB, Bank, LSB, Program) / Kemper 0-0-5 etc

And I have in:

Settings/Audio & MIDI/MIDI Options: Receive MIDI in background + MIDI Thru (Soft Thru)

Good luck!

Rene

• reneguitar That is excellent info. Greatly appreciated, and thank you!

Couple of questions...

I'm assuming you can use program numbers 0 - 127 to include all 128 performance possibilities?

What kind of range do you get with the Quicco Sound mi.1?

• no. program numbers 0-127 will *only allow you to access the first 128 performance *slots*.

If you want to access all of your performances, you need to use a combination of MIDI CC#47 to select the performance) and CC50-54 to select on of the 5 slots in each performance.

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• no. program numbers 0-127 will *only allow you to access the first 128 performance *slots*.

If you want to access all of your performances, you need to use a combination of MIDI CC#47 to select the performance) and CC50-54 to select on of the 5 slots in each performance.

Sounds like the examples above would only yield 25 performances? Sorry about the noob questions, but not sure how I'd access more performance slots.

• CC47 with the value of the performance. 0-124 IIRC (there are 125 performances available).

Each performance has 5 slots:

CC50 with any value triggers slot 1 in that performance.

CC51 with any value triggers slot 2

CC52 with any value triggers slot 3

CC53 with any value triggers slot 4

CC54 with any value triggers slot 5

Yes. You need to send two messages- but this makes it a lot EASIER to lay out your performance changes, even mid song.

So, you create a performance per song, and then within that performance you can have slots assigned to intro, verse, chorus, solo, outro - whatever you want.

k- this is all in the manual, btw. EDIT: Starting on page 208.

PS: How did you come up with 25?

KPA Unpowered Rack, Kemper Remote, Headrush FRFR108s, BC Rich Mockingbird(s), and a nasty attitude.

• mollydyer

Again, good info thanks! Starting to make sense now.

Regarding "25", I erroneously thought that "the first 128 performance slots" meant perf 1, slot 1, slot 2 etc.

Just me misunderstanding, and yep 125 performances.

Thanks for pointing this out, I haven't played with midi for 25 years or so, Lol!

Much appreciated.

• dmatthews - post back results with that adapter :) I was looking at that before I racked... way more gear than I should have...

I will absolutely post about the adventure! I use Android and it seems like most of these adapters tout iOS/Apple compatibility as opposed to Android. I wanted to go with the Quicco mi.1 that reneguitar mentioned, as it is so low profile, but they don't support Android. I bet it would work, but I don't want to be in an unsupported situation.

Yup... the gear... is it too much? I dunno... it's a fun/great hobby for me, and a living for others.8)

• OK...

Got the Yamaha MD-BT01 yesterday, and was fairly successful last night with the info that both reneguitar and mollydyer supplied above!

Thanks guys!:)

It took me 15 or 20 minutes of fumbling around before I realized that you don't pair the device to your phone/tablet, you pair it to the app you're going to use (Bandhelper in this case). Maybe that's different in iOS, but in Android that's what I had to do. Plug the device into the Kemper, open the app, open the Midi status page, and choose "Connect to a Bluetooth Device". Finds it in seconds and you're done!

It is powered by the Midi out port, so no batteries.

I am impressed with the distance my tablet can be from the device/Kemper. Currently the Kemper is in my living room, and I can switch performances etc from in my Kitchen, a good 25' away! Should be no problem at practice or a gig.

Now I have a question...

If I use the Control change method #48 - 1, the Kemper jumps to Performance 1 no problem. But it sits there waiting for you to stomp one of the 5 rig buttons before it will activate that rig. I can see that being good for some people, but I want it to naturally load rig 1.

I went to System settings, and Perf.load, and changed that to 1 instead of "pending" and it won't load slot 1. Neither does "Keep slot" work. Only the default "pending" works, which again forces you to stomp on a slot.

Any ideas why? Think it's a bug?

Using the Program change method, you get the slot you want every time.

Hmmm...

• Any ideas why? Think it's a bug?

It's a feature, actually. It takes 2 messages - CC47+performance number, followed by CC50/51/52/53/54 for the slot number.

EDIT: Just reread your post. I'd have to check it on my system. Not sure if that's a bug or not. I always specifically select the slot.

• It's a feature, actually. It takes 2 messages - CC47+performance number, followed by CC50/51/52/53/54 for the slot number.

EDIT: Just reread your post. I'd have to check it on my system. Not sure if that's a bug or not. I always specifically select the slot.

OK, yeah if you could check, that'd be great! The manual insinuates it should just go there.

• It's the same under iOS. You establish a MIDI connection inside Bandhelper.

If you intend to load a particular Slot immediately, use the standard method, which is a combination of MIDI bank select LSB and program change. That's what I do. Details can be found in the Main Manual chapter MIDI.

• It's the same under iOS. You establish a MIDI connection inside Bandhelper.

If you intend to load a particular Slot immediately, use the standard method, which is a combination of MIDI bank select LSB and program change. That's what I do. Details can be found in the Main Manual chapter MIDI.

Thanks for chiming in Burkhard

What about the "Controller, Value"? I tried that method, and it moves to the correct Performance, but only waits for input to select the slot. No matter how I set the "System settings" for perf.load, I can't get it to choose default slot 1, or keep slot. Only "Pending" works.

Any ideas?