Eddie Van Halen Phase & Flange settings

• Sorry I know this has been requested before... but not for a while and we’ve had various software updates since then so...

Can anyone share any settings that capture the signature Phase & Flange effects of the great EVH?

I’m trying to do away with my pedals (I have the EVH MXR P90 and flanger) so that I can just have a Kemper remote on the floor, but I’ve not been able to replicate them - not even close.

I’ve got the TJ brown sound pack, he’s got the amp and plate down to a T, but the phase isn’t quite as good as the signature MXR pedal. Any tips? :/

• vernon48

Changed the title of the thread from “Eddy Van Halen Phase & Flange settings” to “Eddie Van Halen Phase & Flange settings”.
  • Have you tried any of the stock phase and flange presets? Not sure if you know this but the key to VH1 and these

effects is that Eddie placed them in front of the amp, and not in a loop or during the mix. That's what gives them

that edge.

Be sure to set both flange and phase to PRE-MIX. I go so far as to put them in A-B-C or D so they're physically in

front of the Kemper Amp Stack.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• Yeah I run all my mods pre-amp. I’m looking for specific settings to capture VH effects. His signature pedals are superb for getting the sound, but I’m hopeless at dialling in anything with more than a few parameters.

There is a superb thread on this forum that captures the EVH eventide ‘Poundcake’ effect. I was hoping someone bright might have dialled in phase and flange settings too..

• Hey Guys,

I'm curious too, but I'm looking for early VH (VH1/2) tones. I'm close using Eddie's alleged chain (before the amp) of guitar-> Flanger (one way), Phaser, Gate, Single Delay (no more room for the EQ). I use the single delay with a quick one repeat for "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love"which gives you that original "kickback" on the Am chord. I've tried pretty much all the Flangers on the Kemper but still can't achieve the correct "sweep/depth" so please let me know if others are using some other effect for the Flanger, kinda the same with the Phaser. Using a base setting from "Deadlight Studio" with an EVH 5150 III and a "Lasse Lammert" MeBo Rec cab using Pure Cabinet setting also.

Thanks in advance!

• By the time of Panama and other tunes from that era with very prominent phase/flange pedal FX I have seen reports from his former techs on forums saying that he was using his plexi head as a distortion box in front of those pedals.

So: guitar into plexi with all pots up full, speaker out into resistive load tapped to get line level signal --> into phase and flange pedals --> solid state HH power amps driving multiple quad boxes with 20W Greenbacks (which were regularly blown up and reconed).

This signal chain is hard to replicate with the Kemper in one pass - you could try the mod pedals after the cab in the X and Mod slots.

To get the sequence of components I descibe above it might be worth experimenting with recording guitar with one of the Brown sound profiles to disc BUT with the Cabinet off and all post cab FX off and then reamping (SPDIF both ways for example) with just the mod FX in the stomp slots (ie pre Stack) and only the Cabinet on in the Stack section of KPA.

• The Cabinet module is actually after X and Mod, contrary to the legending on the front panel. You can verify this for yourself by putting a Loop stomp in one of those slots, put your guitar into the return input and strum while turning the Cab block on and off.

So, the VH Panama era set up is very doable without reamping (though the phaser/flanger would then be in stereo).

• @ Sam - manual is at odds with what you have posted: Here's a paste from p16 of the user manual (v 5.5)

Rigs and Signal Chain

A Rig and its signal chain

A complete signal chain comprising amplifier, guitar cabinet and potentially multiple effects is called a “Rig”.

The signal chain of any Rig begins at the Guitar Input, passes through four effects modules, the stack section, and then followed by another four effects modules. From there, the signal is sent to the outputs. The sequence of the modules and sections from left to right represents the signal flow inside the PROFILERTM and is reflected by the corresponding controls on the upper row of the front panel.

Each of the buttons in the signal flow provides a unique and intuitive way to manage your sound. By pressing a corresponding button, you activate that module or section. Hold the button a little bit longer to focus the module and show its parameters in the display. The lower line of the display shows up to four parameters that can be controlled by the soft knobs underneath. Tweak the soft knobs to change your sound. If the module offers more than four parameters, you can move between pages using the PAGE buttons. To return to the home screen, press Exit.

So - if that is true - how do you explain your test result? It is worth bearing in mind that using convolution for the cab after the signal becomes stereo would be double the CPU load of doing the cab simulation on one channel audio AND there would therefore be no reason not to allow us to use two different cabs at once.

• Ok, now I'm really puzzled. Can someone please clear this up? Thanks. Here's the great Pete Thorn going over some early VH echo use.

For those who don't know, Pete's got a wonky right eye. FF to 2:30

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

• Yup, that's a great video which I've seen that clearly shows what's going on. Maybe I'll replace the Kemper Single Delay with an Echoplex if there's one in the Kemper.

Pete really has the Flanger dialed as he is getting that great "sweep" effect.

Thanks guys!

• Yup, that's a great video which I've seen that clearly shows what's going on. Maybe I'll replace the Kemper Single Delay with an Echoplex if there's one in the Kemper.

Pete really has the Flanger dialed as he is getting that great "sweep" effect.

Thanks guys!

Play around with the [DLY Tape] preset. The key to getting the old echoplex right is to make the delays 'dirty' using <flutter> and <grit>.

• I know what the manual says, but try my experiment for yourself. I stumbled over this when I wanted to send the piezo output (with Fishman Aura presets) of my Acoustasonic Tele to the Loop input but have the regular magnetic pickup output going in to the regular input on the KPA, in order to have both acoustic and electric sounds at once. I couldn’t understand why there was such high end loss on the piezo, losing the acoustic feel, so sent a ticket to support, believing there to be a bug. I was told that, in fact, the Cab is last in the chain. Which also makes sense, once you think about it. Guitarists have stereo effects in the effects loop of their amps, before sending the signal to their cabs on stage.

• Can someone please officially confirm the correct block flow of the 11 slots? This is very important with the way I'm using mine. Thanks.

• sent a ticket to support, believing there to be a bug. I was told that, in fact, the Cab is last in the chain.

Either there's a misunderstanding of terms or this contradicts the manual. This assumes 'chain' includes the [effects] section.

Kemper: Please put this to rest.

1. cab last in the stack section

2. cab last after FX

3. cab between mod and delay like mentioned above