level matching profiles tips needed!

• Hi guys I think this is the right section for my question but not sure!

I'm preparing a setlist and trying to be picky about level matching profiles in each song, I play the song at home and I try to balance everything but when I go to rehearsals it doesn't seem to work as intended!

What's your approach to this kind of things?

thanks!

• I mean I have moments of the songs where I need less volume and moments where I need more volume!

I check volumes in my daw while I play with the original song and everything seems to work great but when I play at a gig or with the band during rehearsals this not always translates in the results I was expeting!

How do you guys approach this?

• I use playing dynamics, and the volume knob on my guitar. For me, that is much easier than trying to pre-plan how the band might be going to play a song - it can change with each performance.

That’s the only way to go. Playing live is human interaction, and each individual will play with different velocity at different times. Different than expected.

Listen to each other and react accordingly.

• I check volumes in my daw while I play with the original song and everything seems to work great but when I play at a gig or with the band during rehearsals this not always translates in the results I was expeting!

How do you guys approach this?

that’s why Ingolf said to tweak loud. He didn’t mean make all profiles loud but rather that our ears hear differently at loud volumes than lower volumes. Therefore, the only way to know how sounds will balance in a band context is to do your tweaking at the approximate volume you will play at live. Setting them at home in your DAW will tend to give totally unpredictable outcomes.

• I start with a clean rig in a performance slot 1, and store it a gig volume. Then 2 - 5 are often increasing in grit/loudness and store those accordingly.

I set them up with my guitar around half volume or so.

As suggested above, I use guitar volume control and playing technique to adjust live.

• We always record the rehearsal sessions, and i added a midi track to record the KPA actions. We also using a DB metering app to figure out the loudness while playing. We are using IEM also. I figured out since we use InEar we no longer have a battle between Guitar / Bass and Drums.

• Hi guys! first of all thank you so much for the plethora of replies!

Here's what I did, I tweaked every profile I used in one song being as picky as I could with a session in my DAW playing along the original track and yesterday evening I went to rehearsals and of course there was much more dynamic range to deal with.

My thought is that when you are in a room with a drumkit playing loud music there's no way to contrast the volume of the room or to anticipate how loud it will be as some of you mentioned before.

We play prog rock music so we have moments with say piano and guitar or one acustic guitar and one electric guitar and moments when everyone kick in with distorted guitars, backing tracks, loud keys and vocals, so that's why I had this kind of issue in the first place!

Now

Here's my question, when you play live with everything going to the FOH is the volume you rehearsed with still a thing or you should stick with the ones you did at home with the help of your DAW?

• with master volume you mean the volume of the rig or the master voluyme of the kemper?

It's the master volume, not the rig volume, and it will respond to whatever volume you have assigned to the master volume knob.

Personally I never mess with the Main Out volume. I always send -18 dB to FOH and let the Soundguy do his job. My Main Out volume is not assigned to the master volume knob either.

What I control is my monitor volume to maintain the best possible balance on stage between me and my band mates.

With the Profiler you can specify which kind of volume you want to control with your pedal.

• DonPetersen

Changed the title of the thread from “LEVEL MATCHING PROFILES TIPS NEEDED!” to “level matching profiles tips needed!”.
  • I start with a clean rig in a performance slot 1, and store it a gig volume. Then 2 - 5 are often increasing in grit/loudness and store those accordingly.

I set them up with my guitar around half volume or so.

As suggested above, I use guitar volume control and playing technique to adjust live.

This is a GREAT way to getting consistant vol.. on a rig,,

• The pedal controlled master volume sounds good! I will try it! At the moment I stored every preset with a morphed settings for lower volume and with a boost in the post stack effects chain so I can work in both directions affecting also the volume going to the front of house!