[solved] kemper sounds less full with external good converters

• Hi all! This is my first post here in this forum! I have a delicate problem that I need some great info about.

In my case, I use my Kemper almost only in my studio. I run it with the monitor output (master mono) and direct output (git analog) to two separarate mono inputs on my apogee ad-16x, which is connected to my RME raydat. I used to run the Kemper thru the spdif output, and not use the external converters. But after some issues with clocking things I gave up the spdif. It made a silent but noticeable distorsion in the upper frequency spectrum which was awfull.

Now as I use Kemper with only analog outs, there's no fizz any more. But the sound is very less full than it is if I plugg the Kemper outs directly to my monitors. And I mean very much less full. Its almost as if all bottom end is vanished. Its almost as if there's some strange phase issue..? But if I record the signal and play it alone, it's still the same.

This is a weird problem, as it suggests that it is the converters that's the problem. But in any other case, they are rock solid! I run neve preamps and other outboard gear thru them with absolutley no problems. Always sounds full and fat.

Does any other of you users here experience things like this? I have tried all of my different channels, and all of the different outputs on kemper. Bt I got a feeling that I have missed something important. Is there some setting on Kemper that could perhaps deal with this? Lastly if there's nothing to do with the kemper, could it be something I'm missing regarding the converters?

I really hope someone could help me.

• When connecting hte kemper via spdif, the kemper must be set to master. It can, however, be set to 48k. But I assume that you don't want to use the kemper clock for your converters regardless.

I don't know about the cables - you could of course try, but it's a long shot. Try with the cables you used for connecting the monitor directly to the kemper.

One thing to try, though, is to make absolutely certain that the cables are plugged all the way in to both Kemper and converter.

Actually, go into the output section on the kemper, there is a bunch of pages where you can EQ individually the outputs of the kemper. Check to make sure all the controls of the outputs are at <0.0>. I should have mentioned this first :)

• yeah I know all the eq settings! have checked the cables also! I start to think the converter is bad! but it's still weird that all them 16 channels would have crapped out on me..

big thanks anyway!

• You mentioned that you run Neve preamps through the converters with no problem. Have you tried running the Kemper through the Neve?

Maybe my logic is a bit shaky but my thinking is that if the sound of something else through the Neve is fine but the sound of the Kemper isn’t then problem must be at the Kemper end. If the sound of the Kemper through the Neve is fine then it would suggest a compatibility issue between the Kemper and the input of the converters.

• the line outputs on the back of the PROFILER are TS type. There is no benefit in using TRS type cables.

yes that I know of! But in this case the signal going out of kemper is going thru a dsub25 multicable, where all the connectors are trs balanced cables. I wonder if there might be some kind of issue regarding that!? Would it make a differance if I, for example, used the XLR out in this case?

• the XLR outputs are balanced. Just make sure that your inputs are set to line level to avoid any impedance mismatch when you use the XLR outputs. The level that is present at the XLR outputs is also a lot hotter so you should activate the -12 dB option in the output menu to avoid clipping.

• I’d use individual cables and avoid the dsub, at least to test.

As mentioned above, try the main outs through the Neves.

I use spdif to AES cable with RME UFX and it works fine.

It does switch to clock from the Kemper but no issues.

These profiles go to 11!

Edited once, last by Guavadude ().

• Used to use my spdif connection also. Unfortunatly for several reasons I cant use the clock from kemper as I use wordclock for many units, and it wasnt working right like I needed.

Gonna try the main outs to neve first! Might do the trick!

• But in this case the signal going out of kemper is going thru a dsub25 multicable, where all the connectors are trs balanced cables. I wonder if there might be some kind of issue regarding that!?

There shouldn't be. I've used DB25 (a common flavour of D-sub) snakes with balanced TRS jacks for synths for years, most of who's outputs are unbalanced (TS), and some of which are balanced TRS.

My old Mackie desk uses DB25 for channel inserts and in the 20 years I've been hooking it up to various audio interfaces and whatnot there's never been an issue. IIRC, the "new" MOTU AVB interfaces, the 24-channel ones, use DB25 in order to keep I/O-jack production costs down. They wouldn't have chosen to employ these if they were going to present issues for end-users.

In short, it's a standard we see all over the place, and whether or not sources are balanced shouldn't make any difference. If I'm not mistaken most snakes are of the balanced flavour - that way the connectors can play nice with "everything".

• Yes thats exactlyy what I'm thinking. But after searching for similar issues around the audio-world, I've found problems in the same ballparks as mine.

It turns out that using balanced cables going from unbalanced connectors, to balanced gear could be a problem in some cases, so first thing tomorrow I'm gonna try to hook upp my kemper with some XLR connectors and hope it's gonna solve my issues.

I'll post back here for common knowledge regardless of the outcome.

• Hi all! Super-apreciate your help in every way!! It turns out it was the unbalanced jacks from the Kemper that was the problem! Soldered on some XLR-connectors instead of TRS plug's, and now I'm back in buisness! The sound is better than it ever was.

Hopefully my insight would spread some knowledge across this community!