Trying to match rig volumes between performances - any ideas how to do this so that I get a fairly consistent level please?

• Hi. I hope the subject says it all, but I tend to find my perfect rigs, and match volumes within a performance, but when I skip to another performance, the rigs can often be much louder, or of course, quieter than the last one.

Other than using my ears . . . does anyone have any good ideas as to how to manage this best? I've actually tried passing a highly consistent signal (piano note, for example) into the input, and measuring it through a meter in Pro Tools (like PAZ, or similar).

It's a long-winded process, and kinda too scientific - Appreciate any other thoughts, or advice!

Thanks, Mick.

• An automatic leveling has been requested numerous times.

The problem is that the perceived loudness is often completely different from an objective loudness parameter (like dB).

Clean sounds with lots of transients and peaks can be very loud dB- wise but have much less perceived volume than a saturated sound with less transients.

The recommendation therefore has always been to use your ears.

On a side note: the Kemper stock content has been leveled by the mothership so this is always a good starting point when you want to level other profiles against the stock ones.

• Thanks. I did actually start leveling against Michael Britt rigs, but good point on the Kemper ones (though the two (in general) are similar.

I think I do a good job of leveling with my ears, but then in 'real life' (band practice...fortunately) I nearly blow everyone's ears off when I change performances!!

I'll get there! Thanks again!

• Thanks. I did actually start leveling against Michael Britt rigs, but good point on the Kemper ones (though the two (in general) are similar.

I think I do a good job of leveling with my ears, but then in 'real life' (band practice...fortunately) I nearly blow everyone's ears off when I change performances!!

I'll get there! Thanks again!

For me this is the only way to do it becuase as Ingolf its not about Db's etc, its about percieved sound. I have the same issue deciding on the amount of boost for a solo.

You should be able to get close and then refine at rehearsal...its not been unknown for me to change and save during a solo :)

• Auditioning them against a backing track or band practice is a good idea for tweaking.

I also have my X effects slot locked with a high-cut and low-cut EQ so I sit better in the mix and can turn up a bit without booming or piercing.

• I have tried just about everything (that I can think of) and settled on trusting my ears, but using the default Kemper 'Crunch' profile as my reference to match. Make sure you are doing it at gig volume, or whatever volume is appropriate to your normal playing. It can take some time...

• All great advice, and a good point on using that default! Thank you.

And yes - I do get some looks of disdain during the odd solo!! :) And I too, reach back and adjust and save!

I'll get there!

• The best way I've found to do this is to get yourself a pair of high quality analogue VU meters. I adjust each rig to dance around "0" on the meters. This has worked out very nicely. Then I just make a dB or 2 of adjustment in the Master Output level depending on whether I'm using single coils, humbuckers or active EMGs.

I use the Coleman Audio MBP2 Dual VU Meter Module.

• An automatic leveling has been requested numerous times.

The problem is that the perceived loudness is often completely different from an objective loudness parameter (like dB).

Clean sounds with lots of transients and peaks can be very loud dB- wise but have much less perceived volume than a saturated sound with less transients.

The recommendation therefore has always been to use your ears.

On a side note: the Kemper stock content has been leveled by the mothership so this is always a good starting point when you want to level other profiles against the stock ones.

As a hint they could do separate automatic levelling methods:one for clean sounds (measuring in peaks) and in rms for crunch and distorted presets as they are more compressed and with very little peaks... ;)

• For me this is the only way to do it becuase as Ingolf its not about Db's etc, its about percieved sound. I have the same issue deciding on the amount of boost for a solo.

You should be able to get close and then refine at rehearsal...its not been unknown for me to change and save during a solo :)

Use a volume pedal for the solos

It' s only Rock n Roll, but I like it :D:thumbup:<3