Hi! And Kemper review (long)

• I actually agree that lack of Phantom power is a minor niggle. If you want to profile with a single condenser or ribbon mic you need an external pre amp or built in phantom power. Phantom would have been a nice addition. I’m not losing sleep over it though.

Ahh, that makes sense....didn't get the impression the OP needed it for profiling using mikes.

• I must admit the 700 euro Kemper ads were "fake news" to quote the president of the USA :)

1500 for a powered Kemper without footswitch comes closer. I have been looking at the used market for the last few weeks but they are either too expensive or it's a fake ad.

I have to learn to work this thing and i'll probably order some rig packs from Mike Britt etc.

But now it's over 30 degrees Celsius here in Holland, phew, way too hot to play my guitar! :P

• I have to learn to work this thing and i'll probably order some rig packs from Mike Britt etc.

For me at least, paying for profiles before learning the unit can be an expensive approach.

There are SO many good profiles either in the KPA, available in Rig Packs or on Rig Manager that I (personally) don't see the point in throwing more money at the KPA just yet. I've spent all of 5 bucks on profiles, and even then it was an entire performance. The profile just happened to be killer from Selah Sounds.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I don't agree with most of your negative points. That being said, hope you enjoy.

Don't be too hasty buying profiles, most of the best profiles makers already did free packs included in the factory rigs. Study what you like best first or you'll buy stuff that you'll never end up using. If you have time to search, RE might have everything you need.

• As of FW v5.5 the Basic, Reference, Profiling & Remote Manuals have been consolidated; the file's only available in PDF format, of course.

The Quick Start guide should still be in the box when the Kemper arrives, so maybe that's what ljholland's referring to, although he did say manuals. :/

• To the OP...

I understand the concept of constructive criticism and I appreciate you taking the time to contribute your thoughts.

Thanks for posting.

I hope you are enjoying your Kemper.

My reasons for loving the Kemper are many.

#1) The sound. OMG! This thing can produce tones that sing.

Feels like a real amp and the tracks sit beautifully in mixes.

#2) The capability of profiling my own amps.

So fun and easy... I've had great results with very little effort.

#3) Kemper continues to add new features that expand the sonic capabilities and the upgrades are FREE.

#4) Rather than come out with the "Kemper II", they have continued to develop and support the original.

#5) This forum! So many helpful folks. Great insight and knowledge.

That said, I advise having a relationship with a music store where they will let you try gear.

Many of the stores in my area have 30 or 45 day return policies.

I always do research, but sometimes when I get the gear home, I find flaws or problems that are deal breakers.

One case was the Line 6 Helix. Very cool unit, but I couldn't find a way to get the sounds I wanted. (no slam intended, lot's of folks getting great sounds with it)

Returned it and got the Kemper.

I've been in guitar heaven ever since.

• I have my 11R still. I let my kids play through it. I have the Powered Toaster. Have played it for 3 hours plus quite a few times now pushing my Mesa RK412 @4ohms. I did notice the power cable issue once. I took the blame for not having it fully seated into the jack. As for the sounds, this little thing is never going away from me. Kemperfide. Welcome!

• One case was the Line 6 Helix. Very cool unit, but I couldn't find a way to get the sounds I wanted. (no slam intended, lot's of folks getting great sounds with it)

Returned it and got the Kemper.

Personally, I've never gotten along well with Line6 products. Lots of people can make them sound incredible. I'm not one of them.

I recently bought a used PocketPod for an upcoming vacation. I tried a Zoom G1 Four, but even after tweaking, it didn't hold a candle to the PocketPod. We'll see if it survives after vacation.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• TBH I thought I got manuals as well, but I would not swear to that - I might have dreamt it...might have a look tonight :)

Finally checked, mine came with a paper version of the basics and profiling guide...for some reason I have 2 :) Not sure if that is the same as the quick start...