You are safe here

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Trip-hop backing track clearly missing it's vocals, but I ended up spending forever trying to balance the bass and acoustic guitar sounds (and still failed miserably). Back to the drawing board!

edit - Re-tracked the bass and acoustic to try and get a better sound/balance between them.

Edited once, last by Per ().

• I like the mood , sounds a bit like our great french mellow band 'Air'

Mixing acoustics vs electric bass is not an easy task , I'm struggling myself with my latest project , the jazz bass is too full, I have to revert to the hofner & wound round strings.

• Thanks for checking it out! Yes I like Air and for sure I was going for some of that vibe along with Zero7, Jean-Jacques Perrey, U.N.K.L.E. , Mercury Rev, South etc. in this one. I should go back and listen to how they got their sounds to blend well.

• Ok, so some digging which might be of help to you, apparently according to this gearslutz thread on Moon Safari it's a Hofner vintage bass, not a P-Bass (similar to Macca's) https://www.gearslutz.com/boar…rs-moon-safari-album.html

I only have a Yamaha which has pickups in both J and P configurations, so I'll have to find my own way to a good bass sound with that and the Kemper. I'm beginning to think that a little EQ before the amp block might be required to get that upper end clarity and vintage twang for want of a better word. I'm also a big fan of that really woody sounding Le Orme's bass especially on Ad Gloriam, and of course the many good bass sounds on Serge Gainsboroughs 60's tracks. I'm hoping it's possible to get those sounds without either a Hofner or Ricky.

• Ok, so what I've found is that by using a cocked wah along with a notch eq at 125hz to reduce a wolf note at B and a little multi-band eq and hi-pass I can get much closer to that 60's bass sound. However I now face the problem that the acoustic guitar still sounds like ass, so now to learn about micing there.

• And redid the drums a little as I wasn't happy with them... though now they're a little more generic. Hmm. Feel like I need a crash course in creative drum sounds.

• I can recommend the IK Multimedia iRig Acoustic Stage for simple and effective recording of both steel string and nylon string guitars. I use it all the time.

Especially cool when recording at home as whatever my wife is doing is not being picked up with the iRig. If I had used a condenser microphone recording at home with her in the house would not be possible.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Cool, I'll check that out. I've heard good things from others about that too, though for now I'll have to stick within my current budget of zilch so just the mic's I already own. My biggest issue I feel is in my mixing inability and getting a good woody bass sound. The acoustic sound itself is roughly where I'd like it to be, I'm aiming for 70's vibe rather than the modern pristine sound I had initially which sounded a little harsh to my ears.