Xitone FRFR active wedge ? ?

• I am very curious about the Xitone active FRFR Wedge. Who has one ? tell me about it.

I have been on the waiting list for the Atomic CLR Neo MK II for months . I need a decent FRFR Cab NOW !

Anyone using an Xitone FRFR active wedge ? . . Tell me about it . Thanks

• Hi Dave, and welcome to the forum! I'm pretty sure there are some threads covering this. A search of the forum for Xitone would probably find them.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I did not see where to do a search , I'll look again .. Nope, I did not see where very many are using he Xitone stuff , However , most who are satisfied with their gear usually no longer have a reason to be in the forums !

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    8)

• Hi Dave... Dave here...:P

I don't have the wedge, but I do have the MBritt 1x12 powered cab.

It is built like a tank, and sounds great. I love that I can remove the back panel for open/closed back situations.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    8)

That was my 1st YOUTUBE !! :P

• I'll be playing at Mo's Irish Pub 23511 Katy FWY, Katy TX 77494 June 27th (Thursday night 9 till 1) I will be playing with Doc Holiday band at Saddlebacks in Sealy Sat 8 to 12 June 15th

Hi Dave,

I assume you are the JD Miley from The Gear Page. I was the guy who recommended you look into XiTone. My username over on TGP is Deuterium. Congrats on your purchase, and I really think you will be very pleased and satisfied with the XiTone. I have the passive wedge, because I own a powered Kemper rack. There are more than a few XiTone owners, here, on the Kemper User Forum.

Cheers,

John

• Here is something interesting for the DIYers.    After a review of the Dayton Audio (DA) PPA800D pwr amp from Parts Express. vs the Xitone pwr amp. They appear to be the same plate amp. The PPA800 has a DSP shaping function, capable of shaping and compensating for most cab/speaker deficiencies via the USB port. Xitone most likely had DA preset the DSP for their cab and had no need for the USB port.

Something to consider:

Xitone FRFR Active Wedge ~ $899

Dayton Audio PPA800D ~ $279

Eminence Beta-12CX ~$85

Eminence PSD2002-8 ~$75

cab/wedge materials ~$200

Total ~$640 + free labor

I am not advocating either selection, just illustrating the options for anyone interested in a DIY frfr pwr cab.

Currently I use either a Headrush cab or a Thiele cab loaded w/ an EVM12L, depending on the gig.

Cheers. :)

• Yes John , that is me ! I went ahead an ordered the Xitone FRFR. I should get it in about a week to 10 days. My reason for the FRFR instead of the GRFR or the MBritt sig cab . . . I can buy the Celestion driver that goes in the GRFR or the MBritt cab for $90.00 and switch it out for a different flavor if I need to.

Playing live, the 1st thing I noticed using a separate FRFR cab instead of running my Kemper in the same floor Monitor mix with everything else, the separation made everything cleaner , clearer, and fuller sounding while being able to turn the over all volume down on both. Everything is just a little less garbled and a clearer. I never thought I would be playing on something like the Kemper and really liking it . . . but I am ! Though I love my real tube amps and pedals , none of my top shelf pedals sound like, or as real, as a cranked amp profile . My SRV tone is a cranked tweed deluxe profile , not a Tube screamer ! I use only about five MBritt profiles with different gain settings to get all my basic sounds. Matchless JJ, Fender Tweed, 3rd power Black Face , Dumble and a Marshall. Thank you very much for your recommendation on the Xitone ! I have heard absolutely nothing but positive comments/feedback on the Xitone stuff so far.

I got the Non -powered Kemper Rack on purpose. Mainly because of all the other power amp options out there that are light weight and might sound better . . . such as the Matrix , or even a Tube power amp such as the Fryette PS2 . Another thing I noticed when running the Kemper through a tube power amp and regular guitar cab . . . all the amp profiles did not sound all that different from each other . . espeasually on the High gain amp sounds. The true amp personality comes out way more obvious through an FRFR Cab. Maybe a really good tube power amp into a passive FRFR cab . . . may be the ultimate ?? . . or at least worth a try ??:?:8)

• I am not really good on DIY> I am on some things , but I doubt i could build a cab worth a darn. However, I did order the Xitone FRFR active wedge rather than the GRFR or the MBritt sig cab . One main reason is I want a more Flat response to make it easier to match what my Kemper in doing FOH. The Other reason is, I can buy the Celestion driver that is in the GRFR or Bitt cab for $90 and switch them out for a different flavor. Though I doubt I will actually ever do that. Any decent active FRFR cab I can use as a wedge or backline will do me fine. The Friedman ASM is just too bulky and I did not really like the ASM10 . If I really like the Xitone when it gets here , I may not be interested in the Atomic CLR Neo MKII anymore.

• Another thing I noticed when running the Kemper through a tube power amp and regular guitar cab . . . all the amp profiles did not sound all that different from each other . . espeasually on the High gain amp sounds. The true amp personality comes out way more obvious through an FRFR Cab. Maybe a really good tube power amp into a passive FRFR cab . . . may be the ultimate ?? . . or at least worth a try ??:?:8)

Hi Dave,

What you have noticed is to be expected. A guitar cabinet contributes roughly 70% of the over-all tonal signature, in an amp-cabinet system. In other words, if you play various tube guitar heads through a single, specific cabinet, you will get a lot of "sameness", since the cabinet imparts so much of its character upon the resulting tone. Conversely, if you play a single, specific amp through various and sundry guitar cabinets, you will get widely different sounds.

The same exact phenomena occurs when you connect a KPA to a traditional guitar cabinet. It may still sound great, but you lose a lot of the individual character and sonic uniqueness of specific studio amp/cabinet profiles. As you are aware, this is exactly where a FRFR-type monitor shines. It will faithfully reproduce the KPA profile of the reference amp/mic/cabinet system. So, a Fender Bassman sounds like a Fender Bassman, a Morgan AC20 sounds like a Morgan AC20, and a Marshal 1959SLP through a 4x12 Greenback sounds like (etc., etc., you get the point.)