Setting up Profile Scrolling with external MIDI switch

• I'm trying to set up my Disaster Area DMC-2 to scroll through profiles for a live set. Basically want to put all the profiles in order and scroll through as the set progresses. I've been browsing a few different forums and haven't found any instructions on how to actually set this up, can anybody help??

Thanks

• I don't have a DMC-2, but:

In Performance Mode, the KPA Banks/Slots are pre-programmed to respond to MIDI PC Messages.

If you need 128 or fewer Performance Slots, you can do it with a single bank of PC messages,

(From the MIDI section of the KPA Manual, beginning on page 208):

There are 128 program changes available in MIDI and these are assigned to each Slot as they occur within the Performances, in linear fashion:

Rig in Performance 1, Slot 1 loaded by program change 0

Rig in Performance 1, Slot 2 loaded by program change 1

Rig in Performance 2, Slot 5 loaded by program change 9

Rig in Performance 26, Slot 3 loaded by program change 127

If you need more than that, the DMC-2 manual likely indicates how to send a MIDI Bank Change Command.

Due to the limit of 128 different program change values you can only address about 25 Performances. If you need more, you must use the MIDI bank select controllers which allow you to address multiple pages of 128 program changes each.

These two MIDI control change numbers are associated with MIDI bank select:

#0 is Bank select MSB (always use value 0)

#32 is Bank select LSB (values 0-4)

Here a few examples expanded by MIDI bank select:

Rig in Performance 1, Slot 1 loaded by bank select LSB #32: 0 program change 0

Rig in Performance 1, Slot 2 loaded by bank select LSB #32: 0 program change 1

Rig in Performance 2, Slot 5 loaded by bank select LSB #32: 0 program change 9

Rig in Performance 26, Slot 3 loaded by bank select LSB #32: 0 program change 127

Rig in Performance 26, Slot 4 loaded by bank select LSB #32: 1 program change 0

Rig in Performance 52, Slot 1 loaded by bank select LSB #32: 1 program change 127

Rig in Performance 52, Slot 2 loaded by bank select LSB #32: 2 program change 0

Rig in Performance 125, Slot 5 loaded by bank select LSB #32: 4 program change 112

• There are two ways to do it in performance mode:

As Paul mentions above (has the advantage of being very easy to reorder songs for a setlist by using Rig Manager)

Alternatively put a profile in each slot of a performance and turn off the banks of 5 in system settings. This will make the UP/Down scroll commands move one slot at a time instead of one performance at a time.

Alternatively, you could just use Browse mode and step up/down through them there. However, some people report a slight glitch in the sound when changing profiles in Browse mode whereas Performance is seamless.

Unless you need midi for something else in your rig you don’t even need the DMC2 for scrolling. You can use any simple dual button switch from ebay for about £15 with no need to set any midi parameters.

• I've just rechecked it. Support is correct (as you would expect :)) regarding midi.

When it tested it earlier this week I was using the simple 2 button switch assigned to Switch Ring > Rig Down Switch Tip > Rig Up. This way lets you scroll through either performances or individual slots depending on the Group of 5 setting. No need to programe any midi PC or Bank changes; work out which PC number corresponds to Bank X Slot Y etc. The other advantage of the simple switch option is there is no need for power to front of stage unless you need it for other pedals on a pedal board.

• I've just rechecked it. Support is correct (as you would expect :)) regarding midi.

When it tested it earlier this week I was using the simple 2 button switch assigned to Switch Ring > Rig Down Switch Tip > Rig Up. This way lets you scroll through either performances or individual slots depending on the Group of 5 setting. No need to programe any midi PC or Bank changes; work out which PC number corresponds to Bank X Slot Y etc. The other advantage of the simple switch option is there is no need for power to front of stage unless you need it for other pedals on a pedal board.

the behaviour of an analog foot switch that is assigned to control rig up and down is independent of the group of five option in perform mode.

• I have just tested it and it scrolls through slots in Single mode and through full performances in Group of 5. Maybe that’s not what is supposed to happen but that’s what it does ?

EDIT

I take that back. My fault. I really am losing it these days!

I must have had a few performances with only one slot loaded and mistakenly though that was changing differently when it was just coincidence.

Sorry for the confusion.