Will we ever see "Sweetened" Tunings on the KPA?

• With the Peterson StroboPlus HD, I'm able to define my own sweetened tuning that I've customized for EVERY pitch available on my 12-string extended E9 pedal steel guitar. Pedal steel uses pedal and knee levers to change the pitches of some of the strings, and those changes are tunable. So each open string has a user-defined value, and each tunable change also has a user-defined value.

Ultimately, it would be ideal to be able to take every pitch (C-1 to G-9) and define a custom offset. That would be saved as a user sweetener, and then it could be shifted up or down for use with a capo. I think that would cover just about every possibility, for just about any instrument with strings and a pickup?

• CK, please look into the Peterson Strobo Tuners for info. The Peterson tuners are the ones to emulate. Sure totally custom tunings would be nice but 2 or three "sweetened" tunings as on the Peterson tuners would get us there. Thanks.

Please excuse my ignorance, is it "just" the ability to store different tunings ( variation in the cents)? In other words if you could create and store those custom tunings and name them??

In my simple mind it sounds pretty straight forward...:)

• With the Peterson StroboPlus HD, I'm able to define my own sweetened tuning that I've customized for EVERY pitch available on my 12-string extended E9 pedal steel guitar. Pedal steel uses pedal and knee levers to change the pitches of some of the strings, and those changes are tunable. So each open string has a user-defined value, and each tunable change also has a user-defined value.

Ultimately, it would be ideal to be able to take every pitch (C-1 to G-9) and define a custom offset. That would be saved as a user sweetener, and then it could be shifted up or down for use with a capo. I think that would cover just about every possibility, for just about any instrument with strings and a pickup?

Thanks!

We might need a preset management for tunings then. This requires some coding.

Might take a while, as we have some higher priorities, unfortunately. Or fortunately ...

• I'd also love some more tuning options... especially the Peterson Strobo ones, and just as some food for thought in regard to future application, I have several guitars with tronical (robo) tuners and one feature they have is the ability to tune your guitar exactly the way you like it and then save that as a preset. This is in effect profiling your tuning... which I thought fit well with the Kemper philosophy. The ability to save several tuning 'profiles' would then allow for every possible combination and preference.

Anyway, just a thought...

The older I get, the better I was.

• It would be great to be able to preset some tuning offsets. That being said, the +/- 2 cents of the Peterson "sweetened" tuning is a very small change in pitch. You can still tune with the Kemper and get good results.

I like that the rings on the Kemper strobe tuner move independently. Now Peterson has frozen them on the Strobostomp (they're locked together in position), and I prefer the display of the Kemper over the new HD tuner.

• This sounds interesting! Can someone help me out with a question or two?

First, I setup my own guitars. This lets me get the appropriate action to note cleanness ration for my playing style.

I have noticed that there are quite a few factors that go into how true notes are across strings and across different positions in the neck.

1) Which string? Bigger strings ring out sharper than smaller strings. String gauge also goes into this

2) What kind of cords are you playing? If you have a mix of opens and holds, it sounds different due to the held down strings being bent slightly sharp.

3) How hard are you hitting the strings? The harder you hit the string, the more sharp the initial attack is.

4) How high do you have your action? Higher gives you more clean sounding notes, but also makes the notes sharper.

So .... while I can see some sweetened tunings that could be standardized (string gauge, length of strings, number of frets, etc), the individual setup would seem to cause some issues with tuning standards.

Are you guys suggesting a method of setting up a custom "sweetened" tuning setup that could be saved as a preset?

• Yes. For example, my Anderson guitar was designed with Buzz Feiten tuning built in, so the open strings are tuned slightly different to standard. My Korg tuner has BF tuning built in as an option.

• After reading this post I plugged in my Peterson Strobe tuner with the GTR Sweetened setting and tuned it against the Kemper tuner.

Using the cents here is what I got. "-" = flat

E -2/3 cents

b -2 cents

g -1 cents

d -1 cents

a -1 cents

e -3/5 cents

KEEP ROCKIN!!!

Bryan Evans Gill IV - Guitarist - Live Sound Engineer

• I found a list of what the GTR Sweetened offsets are supposed to be (these are apparently some super-secret copyrighted patented offsets) and they're a little bit different that what you listed (B and G don't have an offset for instance)...which illustrates my point; it's a very small offset in pitch that can easily be swayed by how hard you hit the string, etc. I don't think you can accurately determine the offset by tuning with guitar on the Peterson, then comparing. You'd need to use a sine generator, or something with a fixed pitch.

That being said, it STILL would be nice to be able to plug in a preset with 'sweetened' offsets, so you can tune to zero and forget about it. I find that the sweetened tuning does help my intonation on chords sound much nicer.