which head to purchase waiting for the kemper kabinet release ?

• Hello !

Could you help me to think?

I’m really decided to purchase my kemper, and very excited by the announced Kabinet, and I’d like not to wait too much, and I don’t have an infinite budget. The problem is the following. How do I get a cab waiting for the kabinet release without wasting my money too much? (given that there’s a chance that the kemper kab will just be out of my budget, who knows?)

I hesitate between two options :

Option1 : powered head + controller pedal + F12X200 into a palmer cab : 2811€ at thomann, then wait the Kabinet and see if it’s worth spending what it costs at this time.

Option 2 : same but non-powered head (and in white, I prefer it:love:) + either Presonus Eris8 or KRK rockit8 monitors or Laney FR112 cab (all in the 400€ range) : apprx. 2540€ at thomann, then wait the Active version of the Kabinet an see if it’s worth spending what it costs. I tested once the kemper with these KRK’s at home and the axeFX3 on the Laney and the Presonus monitors, and they were all very nice already (for home usage at reasonable volume at least)

In option 1 , my 260€ palmer+F12X200 becomes a bit useless if I take the kabinet, and I’m not even sure the F12X200 into a palmer is a so good idea (not a closed cab, but I could always play to build it if needed : celestion give instructions for this)

In option 2 : this time it’s easier to find another use of the monitors or FRFR cab if I switch to the Kabinet. I risk to wait more, maybe another year, for an active version of the Kabinet. I’ll probably pay a bit more in the end (monitors are a bit more expensive than in option1, and what will be the difference between the passive and active cabinet versions, only the same 400€ than between the powered and non-powered heads?)

I know it's maybe lots of questions in one, but what would you do in my case?

• Personally, and this is just me, regardless of which cab you go for, I'd go powered if you are going to use it live. Unless you want stereo live, its easier and more convenient than an external power amp and cabs are cheaper.

I suspect the Kabinet will be quite expensive and possibly in high demand so even when available it might not be easy to get for you...

I also use the Palmer cab but used the camper kit....

• Just to add ( and I have no stats for this :) ) I think there are more people who bought the non powered and wish they had the powered than bought the powered and wish they had saved the money....

• Thanks for your opinion, it helps a lot.

Are you fully satisfied with this KPA kit ?

I didn't study well enough the offer, I didn't know this camper kit. It seems that they close the back of the palmer with this kit which tells me, as I'm afraid of, that it's probably mandatory with FRFR. I guess you never tried without this closing plate with vents, right?

In my head at the moment, If I go this way I'll probably try the easy way first (palmer + F12X200 screwed in 5 minutes). It will be well finished, and the speaker should be quite similar to the one in the kemper cab according to some people in other threads. Then, I'd have my time to try making it according to celestion specifications (220.pdf) , it will cost just time, wood and screws.

• I keep going back and forth between FRFR and a 2x12 cab powered by the head. I've pretty much gone off using a cab now. I play a wide variety of music and the cab really takes away the variety. Through the PA with the original speakers profiled I get the best sound. Princetons and Champs sound like little Fender amps. Bogner Shiva sounds like a Shiva with 2 V30s.

I only keep the cab for jamming where there's no PA. I'll be interested to see where they land with the KK.

• Just to add ( and I have no stats for this :) ) I think there are more people who bought the non powered and wish they had the powered than bought the powered and wish they had saved the money....

Yeah - I would have been disappointed if I didn't have the option of the power amp.

• Well, it's already 3 persons saying the same, we start having some stats ;)(unless the ones that don't agree are also the ones that are silent...:/) - Anyway, I'm getting more and more convinced.

And about the passive cab, which one do you use?

• For me, its only a question of if powered is worth the cost as everything else is the same.

Some people like to use valve power amp or stereo but these are of no interest to me, so its unlikely you will regret it - it does what it says on the tin.

In terms of passive cab I have:

Conventional 4 x 12 with Celestion V30's - big and bulky, sounds good and looks fab on the back line

Camper kit, using the palmer cab. I use this most of the time. Its very loud, great spread and does not colour the sound like a regular cab as its FRFR

A regular passive 1 x12 PA wedge ( cost me £120). I went into a Pa shop, used the Yamaha DXR10 as a bench mark and tested a few. They did their own proprietary PA speaker cabs and it sounds 95% as good as the DXR ( if not better at certain frequencies).

Couple of other points - FRFR does sound different. I can;t explain fully, you just have to experience it. Its fuller and wider but shows more variation in the sound. The best bit is its a closer match to the FOH sound so no issues going direct.

However, I now care less about my backline and more on the Front of house that is my focus.

I agree, This would be me although I'll most likely end up with a stereo Camplifier soon, which I couldn't have gotten with the powered KPA anyway.

• Thank you all,

That's very nice that this forum exists.

Now my choice is done. I'll receive in a week or two my powered toaster with the controler pedal and an Empty Palmer cab and a Celestion F12X200 to put into. I'll tell you how pleased I am quite soon, I hope;)