Eddie Van Halen Effects Setting Thread

• Hi chaps,

There has been some fantastic EVH effects settings shared across this forum, this thread is to consolidate those ideas into one thread.

Please keep chatter to a minimum and post only effects settings to help all those who come here looking for EVH tips and tricks.

If you're reading this and don't already own the Brown Sound Top Jimi Pack, what are you doing?! Buy it!

I'll kick off with:

• Poundcake - Eventide Harmonizer

Credit to Liam Thompson - this is superb!!

Quote: "

• Quad Chromatic Delay
    • Mix: Start at 85% and adjust to taste between this and 100%, I find about 90% seems to get in the "Balance" area
    • Feedback: 0% (You only want the one repeat to simulate a guitar left and right)
    • Low Cut: To get closest to the Eventide you can leave it right off at 20.6 as there would have been no filtering on the unit, I personally go for 65 Hz to clear the bottom end a touch
    • High Cut: I'd aim for around 8000 Hz to simulate the early 80's bit rate/sample quality the original unit would have had
    • Delay 1 Ratio: 0.0%
    • Delay 2 Ratio: 0.0%
    • Delay 3 Ratio: 48.9% (You want a slight offset to help lessen phase cancellation especially if playing in mono. I noticed some stereo panned delays in the old Lexicon PCM units had an offset of 48.9% so I go with this value, when you listen to a ping pong delay in mono you can here it clears up phasing issues lots)
    • Delay 4 Time: I like 26ms therefore giving the other delay tap on the other side of the stereo field a timing of just below 13ms due to the 48.9% (26ms is a classic time offset from the dry signal used on old Roland SDE3000 units used by Joe Holmes in his wet dry wet rig to thicken tone, its was one of the preset timings as the unit only went up in increments and George Lynch in the studio was known to have a 0% feedback 26ms delay on his rhythms for the same reason according to Michael Wagener so if its good enough for them.....I have heard Eddie mention his is more like 6ms on the Eventide but also heard 10 and 12 and 13 in different interviews, go what you think sounds best, I think the higher the mix level the shorter you will have to bring the delay time down otherwise you will almost get a room sound happening which is not what you want here. Another tip if you like this by the end, try 56ms with 48.9% the other side on leads really adds some "air" around your notes, another 80's rack setup trick from back in the day)
    • Pitch 1: 0
    • Pitch 2: 0
    • Pitch 3: 0
    • Pitch 4: 0 (We want all of these at 0 as we don't want any semitone pitch adjustment we only want to use the detune later in the settings)
    • Volume 1: 0.0
    • Volume 2: 0.0
    • Volume 3: 10.0 (We want this on 10.0 full as we will control the overall detune effect in relation to the dry signal with the mix level)
    • Volume 4: 10.0 (Same here)
    • Panorama 1: 0%
    • Panorama 2: 0%
    • Panorama 3: -100% (This pans the 13ms or 48.9% delay to the left)
    • Panorama 4: +100% (This pans the 26ms or whatever you set the master delay to the left, this now gives you three voices, 1 left, 1 centre dry, one right)
    • Stereo: 100% (we need this at 100% to make sure the previous panorama settings work as we set them in stereo)
    • Modulation: 0.0 (A tip is to also try this at around 5 or 6 for a different type of stereo widening and modulation, but set the detune to 0.0 if you use this as you don't want both on the same time although there are no rules for as close as EVH as possible you want this off)
    • Pitch Detune: Start at +2.8% and try down to +2.2% and up to around +3.2%. I feel at around +2.8% to +3.0 max gives you about 9 cent sharp or flat either side of the stereo field to closest approximate the Balance or F.U.C.K type micro pitch. This is the parameter that will give you the sound you are looking for I'm sure.
    • The next settings, Formant Shift, Cross Feedback, Flutter Intensity and Flutter Rate leave turned off or on zero they aren't needed here.

" : Unquote. Thanks Liam, hope you don't mind me sharing here.

• Does anyone know the Unchained flanged settings done with the Kemper? Is it possible?

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR

• Thank you! I have the EVH flanger pedal with the small button that gets you that specific sound. Was trying to get it in the Kemper. Will give this a try.

Rik

Kemper toaster >Kemper remote> 2 x Alto TS310 powered speakers Furman M-8XAR

• Ain't Talkin''Bout Love - Flange

Updated 15/08/19 :

I wanted to negate the need for my pedal board so have spent some time trying to replicate my MXR EVH Flanger (EVH button pressed)

Stomp location: C

Flanger

Rate: 2.3

Depth: 9.2

Manual: 1.0 - Settings of Depth:10 & Manual:0.3 is also very close but there's an odd bass 'bonk' at the end of the sweep with these settings.

Feedback: 37% - Any higher and I hear the airplane flange thing starting to kick in, that over the top swoosh.

Mix: 100%

Ducking: 0

Volume: +1.0 - The MXR Flange with EVH button pressed has a volume boost creating more gain at the preamp.

• Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Delay

Stomp location: B

Delay: Dual Delay

Mix: 7.5 to 15.5% (see where you like it)

Delay Time 1: 100ms

Delay Time 2: 300ms

Delay Balance: +12.5%

Low Cut: 20.6Hz

High Cut: 3044.6Hz

Flutter Rate: 5

All other settings: 0

• I’ve been using the balanced tone and it’s very good but the effect feels more faint than the album. Upping the mix helps but then you hear a ton of artifacts. Any other tips to replicate this sound? Micropitch?

• The latest FW replaces the percentage for the effect with cents instead so it's much easier to get a feel for what's going on now. Try anywhere from 6 cents to 12 cents to get an EVH style detune. It's alledgedly 9 cents for balance.

• Poundcake - Eventide Harmonizer

Credit to Liam Thompson - this is superb!!

Quote: "

• Quad Chromatic Delay

I am assuming Kemper has changed the delay making Quad Chromatic Delay no longer available. I did find a Quad Delay but there are too many parameters that are different so I can't quite get it to work as you described. Am I missing something here or is Quad Chromatic Delay gone from the Kemper? If so, is there anyway you could update this post so that it works with current Kemper delay? I've been looking for a way to capture the Pundcake or For Unlawful C.K. tone for quite some time and really thought I was about to have it when I found your post. It would be so amazing of you if you could update this for me, or point me in the right direction. Thanks!

• Quad Chromatic Delay is still there and still I used a tweaked version of those "Eventide clone settings" in my live setup

Any chance you could tell me where to find it because I don't seem to have it. I do have a Quad Delay but that's the closest thing I've been able to find in the Delay menu.