Resolved (Hooray!) - Rig Manager Not Recognizing Profiler

• I know this has been discussed elsewhere but none of the recommended fixes seem to be working for me.

I'm running a MacBook Pro with OS 10.12.6 and the latest Profiler and Rig Manager updates. I'm turning on the profiler first, then the Mac, then opening Rig Manager. I've double-checked to be sure that my user name in Rig Manager and the Profiler match (They didn't originally in case that could somehow be an issue here.) No matter how many times I re-plug and re-boot, I can't see my Profiler in Rig Manager.

Based on previous threads, I checked About This Mac -> System Report -> USB. I'm not sure what I should be seeing there but there's nothing about the Profiler in case there should be something as I suspect there should be.

I'm a Profiler newbie as well as a total techno-nincompoop so it's entirely possible that I'm missing/doing something totally simple and obvious but, either way, I'm stuck.

Suggestions on what to try?

• Greetings. I run Windows, not Mac, but my stock advice when Windows is to uninstall all older versions, then reinstall from scratch. HTH.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hi Christopher,

Here's how your profiler should show up in the Mac system report:

... so, if it isn't there then I would check/swap the cable before chasing up software. Some USB cables, notably A to mini B (for Garmins etc) are for charging only and don't have a data connection. Whether this is correct in the full size A B cables, I don't know - just a thought.

Also, re: the cable - (given that you are self confessed "Techno-nincompoop" (!)), be aware that the usb B plug (the square as opposed to the flatter A end) will fit snugly into the not so far away Ethernet socket! Don't ask me how I know this! 8o

Skål, Andy

Edit: The hub (as shown on the screen grab) is internal to the Mac and not an add on.

• Thanks, Andy! I'm actually going to try one more cable swap before deleting RM and doing a re-install. I've read that some hubs don't work properly with RM and I'm currently using a USB B to C adapter since Cs are all my MacBook has. Wondering if the adapter might be the issue so I'm getting a hardwired B to C cable to see if that does the trick. Seems like a bit of a long shot, really, but worth a try.

In the meantime, if any of the rest of you have other ideas as well, consider me all ears...

• In the act typing the above response, I think I may have figured out the problem. Though it's not a matter of having plugged into the Ethernet socket, it's something mortifyingly idiotic. I'll report back later.

Cringe potential abounds...

• Problem seems to have been resolved. It's funny how much better things work when you're actually using the correct USB port to connect the Profiler to one's computer...

File under:

Novice Mistakes

No Really, Read The Manuel First

Why Computers Hate Me