Making high- and low-output pickups equally "loud"

• Hey guys,

I am pretty sure this has been asked already, but since I cannot find a thread - here we go.

I have some vintage guitars with really low output pickups and some modern with - you guessed it - high output pickups (nothing active here!). Since I like swapping guitars on a regular basis for rehearsal and live I am curious how you handle the difference between the output fast and easy...

Best regards,

Sebastian

• Hi Sebatian,

Regarding how the amp (profiles) distort based on the output of the pickups:

One route to go is to simply treat the kemper as a regular amp and accept that the difference is there and work with it - ie. accept that some guitars drive the amp harder than others

Another is to store input settings on the kemper, where you can adjust the clean sens and distortion sens for each individual guitar to get them closer in how they drive the profiles. You simply adjust and the push the "store" button. Also remember to "lock" the input section, otherwise the settings will be lost when you change profiles. You recall input settings by turning one of the knobs above the display (I forget which one).

Regarding the loudness/output of the kemper (output stage):

I believe you can do the same as option 2 above, but for the output stage. Keep in mind that there is a lot of parameters in the output stage (EQs for different physical outputs, etc etc etc...

You could also - in the output settings on the kemper - link the physical output you use to the "master volume" knob on the kemper. Then you can tweak that quickly when switching guitars. Keep in mind that this will change the volume of all the outputs linked to the master volume knob . The output section has a volume setting for each output individually, and based on where this is set "on the scale from low to high", I believe the master volume knob (if linked) allows you to make fine or coarse adjustments. I seem to recall that having a low setting on the individual output means that a slight turn on the master volume yields a large change in actual volume - and a high setting on the individual output means you can turn the master volume dial "more" before the same relative increase. Or vice versa. I may be totally wrong about this. :)

• Thank you mate!

I guess the first option is exaclty what I am looking for! So I finally just have to figure out how to set the lock and the input parameter via midi and I am done.

My aim is the to have two buttons: 1) high 2) low. If i pressed button 1) clean sense is zero and if I press 2) clean sense is i.e. 5 and lock is activated.

Would that make sense?

• Suggested using Input Presets but in retrospect I think I was wrong 'cause I can find no mention of them in the manual, nor can I see an option to load or save them on the unit.

Sorry. Could have sworn that this was possible. :/

• Another option is to create a set of Banks of Performances for the modern output pickups, and a second set for the vintage output pickups.

Since I use the performance mode as advertised (one performance for each and every song) that would be quite horrible in terms of copy and paste ;)

I tried the clean sense and lock "feature" yesterday and it works just fine. I just have to figuere out, if I can store this stuff within a preset and the fire it up through midi. That way I am really flexible in terms of guitar swapping - even on stage :P

• As far as I know (99.9% sure) Input presets are global features and can’t be controlled via midi.

However, in performance mode you can save the input settings as part pf each performance. You could just set the input for the main guitar you use for that song but manually change it if you pick up a different guitar.

Another option might be to put a clean boost pedal in front of the Kemper. Set the input levels for the high output guitar with the pedal off and set just enough boost to equalise things with the pedal on.

If you aren’t worried about clipping the input stages (which is pretty hard to do on the KPA anyway) you could use the Kemper clean boost in slot A instead of a physical pedal in front of the KPA.

• If your goal is have equal output between guitars, I would simply run a clean boost pedal in front. However, I think that defeats the purpose of having guitars with varying degrees of output. I always have a +2.5/3 db boost in the mod slot, either for solo boost or whatnot so if I need the tone of a lower output pickup at a higher volume (for example, the inner positions of a HSH configuration sometimes), I would use that switch but otherwise, I try to choose the guitar/pickup accordingly instead.

• Stored Input Presets can't be recalled via MIDI, but the input parameters can actually be controlled via SysEx messages.

So if you have a Midi Controller that's capable of sending custom SysEx strings - it can be done.

I've once made my own Arduino based MIDI switcher for 4 guitar presets, but ever since I've started using a Line 6 Relay G75 wireless system I've just created a different output volume presets there to compensate for my Telecaster.

• Again, this is typical in my experience, Alan.

If we take synths as an example, the "hands-on", sound-affecting controls such as patch selection, filter cutoff & resonance, portamento values, ADSR settings and volume levels and whatnot are typically controllable via MIDI CC's, patch-change and "toggle" messages (such as sustain), but invariably deeper parameters such as bulk-dump requests and system settings can all be accessed via sysex; it's par-for-the-course, mate.

• Another vote for a boost pedal in front of the KPA to let the vintage pups drive the amp the same.

I do have some performance banks that are set up for Strat positions 2 and 4 that always need more volume to sound great.

• I don't usually bring all my guitars to similar levels as I like variation in tone and response of different guitars/pickups.

However, I always have some boost pedal in chain before my amps and same with Kemper.

I when i need to, I either use a self built Klon Centaur Clone (with gain/distortion at 0 or a little bit) or a self designed multi-boost pedal that can be clean (like MXR Microamp) or can introduce and switch various clipping stages like Si,Ge, Assym LED etc..

- Too Many Synths and Way too Many Guitars :rolleyes: