Mission EP1-KP Expression problem: First few millimeters of the whole range of the pedal = 90% of max value of parameter

• Hi all,

got myself the EP1-KP expression pedal from Mission to be sure everything will be compatible and working properly.

Watched all the videos, googled the forums, etc. but to no avail.

Problem is this:

From heel to toe, the first few millimeters the pedal travels is already like 90% of the possible max parameter value on the Kemper.

Tested for volume and wah...

If I slightly touch the pedal its already at like 80-90% of volume or filter range of the wah.

The rest of the way it travels does nothing after that.

The calibration display reflects that as well.

It goes the whole way from 0-100, but very quickly at the beginning and than its already at max value for the rest of the pedal´s way.

Yes, I am using a TRS cable

Yes, I am using the first output on the pedal and not the one for the switch :)

Yes, it´s on pedal mode 1

Could my pedal be faulty?

After all, I bought it because it´s supposed to have an even and linear pot and should work fine with the Kemper....

Any ideas? Did anyone else encounter probs with the EP1-KP?

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!

• Hi Robman,

thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately neither changing the pedal type nor changing the input did anything.

I couldn´t find another trs cable in my pile of unused cables, so I couldn´t check that.

So, could still be the cable...

• If you are getting some change from the pedal then it is highly unlikely that the cable is the problem x it would tend be all or nothing.

The Mission pedal isn’t much good for anything other than wah unfortunately due to the very short travel. However, it shouldn’t be as bad as 90% of the effect in the first few mm of travel (although that’s what mine used to do). Did you get the pedal new? If so take it back as it sounds like the pot is faulty. If it was used open it up and check the pot inside. It could be that someone modded it with a logarithmic pot. The original pot inside the Mission should say Dunlop Wah on it.

• That's an interesting thread Rob. I actually also have a Zoom FP02 pedal which I bought used for a tenner. It works perfectly well - much better than my Mission actually. The taper on the FP02 is a totally smooth linear progression. If I set it as Type 1 it works fine but if I set it as Type 2 virtually all the effect happens in about the first 1cm of movement. My Mission pedal is the opposite - scary hair trigger in Type 1 but works OK in type 2 8|

• Hi guys,

thanks for your input!

I bought the pedal brand new from a local music store.
    Guess I will return it or at least check with them in the store. I know they have a couple of demo KPAs there, so it should not be a big deal to quickly check the pedal with a different cable on a different Kemper...

• you can check it like in the link here around the 1.00 mark :

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hey Robman,

yeah, checked it a gazillion times and watched all videos I could find.

It does use the full range after all, just not in a linear fashion...

Will return it today and give it a quick test in the store.

• That reminds me a couple of months ago I bought a 6 pack of trs cables from a well known auction site - cheap, I might add - and found only 3 of them worked 'properly' ...... They all had molded ends and were from the Far East ;) so may well be worth checking .....

• If anyone is interested: I returned the 150€ Mission pedal and got the Moog EP3 for 44,- bucks.

Works totally fine!

That’s my experience too. The Mission is good for Wah because of the feel under foot but for everything else it is by far the worst expression pedal I have tried. I find my little Zoom pedal (which I bought used for £11) is far superior to my Mission.